How would I go aboout actually quilting a large applique quilt?

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 315
Points 7,375
Georgia Posted: Sat, Jun 2 2012 2:10 PM

Hello All... This a pic of the pattern cover for a quilt that I am almost finished making.  I actually like mine better because I used Maywood woolies flannel to make the applique pieces and an off-white flannel for the background.  Anyway -- now that I'm in the home stretch of completion, I have been trying to figure out just how to approach quilting it.  Any ideas?

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Sat, Jun 2 2012 2:24 PM

hey georgia,  i like to do fairly dense stipples around the applique and in this case around the border idamonds, too.   i would also go inside the appliques and do some relief stitching to highlight  different features of the appliques, like inside the clock face.  echo quilting also looks good.

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Sat, Jun 2 2012 2:31 PM

there are a lot of vairiations on background fillers, leah day's site has a bunch of them.   i used little swirls on a quilt i did recently.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Sat, Jun 2 2012 2:43 PM

georgia, there are a lot of experienced quilters on the message boards that don't make it to this group.   you should post your picture and question on the main board.  you will get a lot more ideas over there.

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sun, Jun 3 2012 7:04 AM

WOW Georgia, I can't wait to see yours. I guess I would use an overall meandering quilting on it. You wouldn't want the quilting to standout. You'd want everyone to notice your beautiful applique.

That really is just too cute!

northern colorado

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use