Wildflowers-Getting Started

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,548
Points 23,405
Susie Posted: Thu, May 24 2012 10:45 AM

Ok, ladies!  I need some guidance.  I'm kind of lost.  I got my pattern in the mail, but I don't know how to convert it to fabric...I'm sure it's something pretty simple, but for the life of me, I've hit a wall that I just can't see through.

How do I use the pattern so that I can cut out my pieces?

Do I cut the pieces a little larger than the pattern so that I have an edge to turn?

When you are doing the embroidery on the blocks, do you use a hoop or just free-hand stitch it?

I really want to try this, but not sure how to progress from the simplicity of hearts to the complexity of these beautiful flowers.

Thanks, everyone!

Chicagoland, Illinois

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Thu, May 24 2012 12:34 PM

susie, if you are fairly new to applique, you may want to enlarge the patterns to 8 or 12 inch block size.

i use either freezer paper or plastic template sheets to trace my pattern onto.    i go through  a lot of freezer paper.   trace your design onto the dull side of the freezer paper.   put that together with another piece of freezer paper, shiny sides together and iron.   this makes a hard template, you can cut out and use several times.

next, i put the template onto the right side of the fabric and trace it.  i use  nonce white pencil for dark fabrics and a mechanical pencil for light fabrics. i then cut out the fabric, leaving a 1/8thinch seam allowance all around.  i turn the seam allowance under just enough so the line i drew on the fabric doesn't show.

there isn't a lot of embroidery, so i do it free hand, or you could use a hoop if it makes you more comfortable.

when you are making your stems, cut them a bit longer to make sure you have enough to tuck under other pieces.    you will need to clip the concave curves and shorten your stitches where you clip. 

once you get your pieces ready to applique let me know and we'll procede from there.

there is also freezer paper you can buy that you can copy your pattern directly onto.   it's a lot more expensive, but a lot quicker.

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Thu, May 24 2012 3:48 PM

Hi Susie,

Here is the link Gini mentioned for enlarging/reducing your pattern.  http://thequiltedsnail.com/scale.html

northern colorado

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Thu, May 24 2012 4:02 PM

thanks lillie, i added this to pages under tutorials.

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,548
Points 23,405
Susie replied on Fri, May 25 2012 8:39 AM

Thanks, Lillie!  I had to "print" it to Adobe & save it in my quilt file.

Chicagoland, Illinois

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use