Embroidery Thread

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,800
Points 31,720
Annie Posted: Mon, Apr 16 2012 2:28 PM

What kind of thread do you all use for embroidering apllique pieces?  I have the first 2 wildflowers done and would like to add some dimension by embroidering.  I assume the thread is thicker than 50 wt, but not sure what to get.

Any suggestions would be great!

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,674
Points 63,955
Jacy replied on Mon, Apr 16 2012 3:43 PM

Annie:
What kind of thread do you all use for embroidering apllique pieces? 

I use embroidery floss like DMC or Presencia. It is thick, 6 strands. For embroidery you usually use 2 strands.

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 5:56 AM

Annie:

What kind of thread do you all use for embroidering apllique pieces?  

I use DMC embroidery floss. In general, I use one strand for almost everything. When I loop one strand through my needle eye and knot both ends together it becomes two stands. Which has always been enough for my needs. Sometimes, I just knot one end for finer detail. Hope that helps.

northern colorado

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 9:17 AM

Annie:

What kind of thread do you all use for embroidering apllique pieces?  I have the first 2 wildflowers done and would like to add some dimension by embroidering.  I assume the thread is thicker than 50 wt, but not sure what to get.

Any suggestions would be great!

Hey, Annie - I guess the first question should be...are you embroidering by hand or machine? You've gotten some answers for embroidery thread for hand work but, I use the machine wherever possible since the old eyeballs aren't what they used to be. For that I use mostly Sulky Rayon. I think it's 30 or 40 wt but, there are other very nice machine embroidery threads out there on the market. I've had some problems with Sulky Black so I'm going to try a few other brands of that color to see if they will work better in my machine. Of course, if you have a sewing machine that has decorative stitches, you could look through those and see if there's one that will work, too. Certainly it's far quicker than hand work but, not always the prettiest in the end :-)

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,800
Points 31,720
Annie replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 12:09 PM

I have done machine work and now want to expand to do more hand embroidery.  So I guess my question, can I use the same thread when working by hand? Or are results better when a thicker weight thread is used?  I will be embroidering the Wildflower flocks so that are 6 1/2 blocks and the flowers are sort of delicate looking.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 1:31 PM

Annie:

I have done machine work and now want to expand to do more hand embroidery.  So I guess my question, can I use the same thread when working by hand? Or are results better when a thicker weight thread is used?  I will be embroidering the Wildflower flocks so that are 6 1/2 blocks and the flowers are sort of delicate looking.

I guess it's a matter of personal preference and the look you're trying to attain. Personally, I use embroidery floss when doing hand embroidery. It's just a bit thicker and you get a ton of it for $0.35. I have tried machine embroidery thread, but was not satisfied with the result. So I ripped it out and went back to embroidery floss.

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,800
Points 31,720
Annie replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 3:04 PM

Lillie,

I think that's the best advice yet, just sample a few different kinds of threads and decide what works best for each specific project.

Thanks for the help!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Wed, Apr 18 2012 6:46 AM

You are most welcome Annie.

northern colorado

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,738
Points 419,889
gini replied on Wed, Apr 18 2012 9:23 PM

Hi Annie,    It looks like you've been given some  great advice.   I use dmc embroidery floss most of the time.  I have used what ever thread I have available when I forget my floss.   You can use all six strands of embroidery floss or one.  There are silk threads that are wonderful.    Use what looks good on your project.  

You can also slip over to the crazy quilt group. Linny is very knowledgeable on threads and will be able to give you more info.

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use