WILDFLOWERS-BLOCK 2-CALIFORNIA LOOSESTRIFE (pattern #10)

rated by 0 users
This post has 81 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,458
Points 416,719
gini Posted: Thu, Apr 5 2012 10:11 AM

this is another  easy block,  no sharp points, everything is rounded,   the tips of the petals and long leaves don't need to be finished because they are under other parts.   this one went quickly.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,951
Points 368,292
Kris replied on Thu, Apr 5 2012 9:30 PM

Very nice Gini. I like the purples.

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Apr 6 2012 12:51 AM

Gini, very pretty, I have not even had a chance to start mine yet , Hope to give it a try here soon. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sun, Apr 8 2012 9:11 AM

Gini, I finished this blocks yesterday ,but did n't get it posted so here it is ,this one went alittle better, but I still have lots of problems . Guess I spolied with machine applique LOL  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,951
Points 368,292
Kris replied on Sun, Apr 8 2012 1:42 PM

Pretty block Barbara. You did a good job on it.

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,508
Points 48,175
Frances replied on Sun, Apr 8 2012 1:49 PM

Well done Barbara, have you been having energy tablets you must be on turbo boost geting these done this quick, i was hoping to get at least one done this weekend but i have been feeling like crap, think i overdone it at work last week, up to Easter lots of chocs to pack and very long hours, ah well i will just have to do the best i can.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sun, Apr 8 2012 3:34 PM

Frances sorry to hear your feeling poorly, Get some rest ,I'll just bet it was a busy week for Chocolates .Thanks for the kind word on my poor little flower , I really need help .. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sun, Apr 8 2012 3:35 PM

Thanks Kris , but I still need lots of help ,I'm really having touble doing stems and leaves .. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,458
Points 416,719
gini replied on Sun, Apr 8 2012 6:34 PM

Barbara:

Gini, I finished this blocks yesterday ,but did n't get it posted so here it is ,this one went alittle better, but I still have lots of problems . Guess I spolied with machine applique LOL  Barbara

barbara,  every place i can hide an end, i go for it.  all of those stem ends you are having so much trouble with, can be cut a bit longer and put underneath the petals. then when you are stitching your petal down, you stitch over the stem.   you need to have your stem stitched down first, or at least the end, and i don't always go into the background when i'm stitching over the stem.  most of your problems could be solved by doing this.   the right and left stems i did in one piece. stitched them down and stitched the petals over them.    the two top stems, i stitch right up to within a 1/4 inch of where the stem goes down.   put my needle still threaded out of the way.  thread  a new needle with stem color. place the stem, stitch it down. i pick up the needle with the petal color in it and continue the petal.

you block is interesting, and i mean that in a good way.  it reminds me of a watercolor painting.  i may have to make a block like this.    hmmm.

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sun, Apr 8 2012 9:30 PM

Gini, thais is really funny I had the same impression that it looked more like watercolor then fabric,  I appericate your suggestion and I do think that will make it easier for me.  right now I have some sore fingers so I think I'll just wait until I get to VB before I do any more . I have the last two all ready to be cut , just didn't do it yet ,I was hoping there might be a trick I wasn't sure of ,, Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Mon, Apr 9 2012 12:57 AM

Barbara

Your wildflower block is beautiful and you did a great job on it. I love the color of the flower. I will be doing applique w/ you in VA Beach very soon. : )

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Mon, Apr 9 2012 12:59 AM

Gini

The purple flower block- is so pretty. My color. : )  Someday Maggie and I will be doing Wildflower too, we hope! : )

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,256
Points 112,705
Linny t replied on Mon, Apr 9 2012 11:57 AM

Your block is very pretty Barbara.  Have patience with yourself as you are learning the basics.  You are doing better than you think.

Linny T

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Mon, Apr 9 2012 12:09 PM

Barbara - I have to throw my 2 cents worth in here and agree with Gini - It reminded me of a watercolor, too! I like it!

I know what you mean about being spoiled by machine but, in my case, a necessary thing if I want to do applique. Next week I hope to carve out some time for my 2nd block of Wildflowers as well as a block of Country Cousins. I expect that Cousins will go faster but, that's okay - each has it's own place.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, Apr 9 2012 2:11 PM

I want to thank everyone for all your kind words and encouragement, It really helps . I have done hand piecing for awhile but this needle turn is harder then it looks ,but I'm determined to learn it ,SO my first few flowers well probably be alittle ruff, but I do expect this .. Can't wait to meet Gini at the VB retreat and actually see the secrets  being done ,.. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 50
Page 1 of 6 (82 items) 12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use