rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 186
Points 4,891
Custom Quilt Kits Posted: Fri, Jan 27 2012 12:20 PM

Hi Everyone,

I just ordered the Arabesque dies for my Accuquilt machine and am wondering if they can be done with needle turn applique.  I'm not very good at it and would really like someone else's opinion.

According to the UPS tracking, I should get the package on Monday, I could have several cutouts to you in the mail on Tuesday.  All I need is an opinion--I don't need the shapes back. You can send me your opinion via email if that is convenient.

Send your email address to me at info@customquiltkits.com if you are interested or send me a friend request and we can exchange addresses that way.

thanks!

Rose Hall

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,964
gini replied on Fri, Jan 27 2012 2:57 PM

rose, just post a picture here and tell me the size.   i can give you a good idea from a picture.  

you need at least an 1/8th of an inch between parts.  say you have two branches that are 1/8 inch apart.  you  would cut the material halfway between the branches, leaving you a 1/16th inch seam allowance.  that is about as small a seam allowance as you would want to work with.  and  with that you are nearly doing a satin stitch. 

the rule of thumb is,  you want your stitches to be at least 1/2 of your seam allowance.   so, if you have a 1/8th inch seam allowance, your stitches should be no further apart than 1/16th of an inch.  this is to make sure the stitches hold the fabric enough not to pop out.  with needle turn you should never have more than a scant 1/4 inch seam allowance.   that just makes more work cramming all that fabric under.   

gini   

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 186
Points 4,891

gini:

rose, just post a picture here and tell me the size.   i can give you a good idea from a picture.  

you need at least an 1/8th of an inch between parts.  say you have two branches that are 1/8 inch apart.  you  would cut the material halfway between the branches, leaving you a 1/16th inch seam allowance.  that is about as small a seam allowance as you would want to work with.  and  with that you are nearly doing a satin stitch. 

the rule of thumb is,  you want your stitches to be at least 1/2 of your seam allowance.   so, if you have a 1/8th inch seam allowance, your stitches should be no further apart than 1/16th of an inch.  this is to make sure the stitches hold the fabric enough not to pop out.  with needle turn you should never have more than a scant 1/4 inch seam allowance.   that just makes more work cramming all that fabric under.   

gini   

Thanks Gini!  I can't get to the Accuquilt site at work (stupid firewall!), so I could not post pics with my original post.  Here are the die shapes that I am SUPER excited about getting on Monday.  My brother is getting married in October in Hawaii and my Mom and I are planning to make them a "Hawaii" styled quilt.  Of course, I will also have packages of pre cut shapes on my website, but didn't know if I could "advertise" them to my needle-turn clients.  I'm not that good a needle turn and would love your opinion.  Can I send you some?

Rose

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,964
gini replied on Sat, Jan 28 2012 7:12 PM

rose, i'll pm you with my address.   these won't work well at this size.   they would be similar, but in order to have enough seam allowance the little branches would be a lot skinnier.   however,  i think these would be ideal for reverse applique,  it is also a form of needle turn.  have you done any of that before. it isn't very difficult.   send me two or three of each shape and let me play with them. how soon do you need to know if they'll work?

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use