BLOCK 9- BIRDS AT THE FOUNTAIN

rated by 0 users
This post has 35 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini Posted: Wed, Nov 2 2011 1:07 AM

this block had some fun elements and some tedious ones.  the circles weren't so bad once i got into the groove, however, i would recommend embroidering the teensy leaves.  they were real stinkers to applique.   if you look closely you can see most of them are pretty uneven.   i had most of them finished before i finally got them  looking ok.   i left off a few leaves and one or two circles. i hadn't cut enough, or i lost them along the way.   i thought it looked fine so i didn't try to go back and add them.  

hint:   for circles-  if you use fabric with a pattern especially a geometric one,  stripes or checks or plaid.  it fools the eye and you think they are rounder than they are.    this is for those of us who's circles are less than round.

all in all i liked this block,  it is pretty busy and fussier than the other blocks.   the house block that we will do next, will balance it in the final quilt.   (dang, i've lost your name), one of us is skipping this block plus the next three,  and doing the last four.    this might be a good place to put all your blocks on the wall and evaluate how they're going and  decide if this ( and the house block) are blocks you really want in your quilt.   they are a little different than the rest.   i like them, but you all need to evaluate how much you like them.

it is also a good place to put your blocks together and see if all the colors balance.  there may be a color that you've used only once or twice, and you need a tad bit more to balance your colors in you final quilt.  these last four blocks we make will be your opportunity to do that.  or to add a color.  for balance you should have at least three blocks showing a color that is different from the rest.   for instance, i've used black and white in a couple of my blocks and i really should add it in a couple more, so they don't stand out too much.   throwing an odd color in can make your eyes dance around the quilt and give it more interest,   it can also be really jarring to some folks.   you all know what i like,   keep them eyeballs movin' and maybe you won't see all the mistakes. 

except for the leaves, i liked making this block.

if you would like a second, third fourth.... opinion on color balance, put your blocks together and add the  picture to media.

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,025
Points 369,882
Kris replied on Wed, Nov 2 2011 2:12 AM

Gini,

your block looks great. I love the fabrics you used for each bird and I think your tiny leaves are well done. They look more natural being uneven.

Thanks for the many tips and points to ponder. I've been auditioning fabrics for my blocks and should have my final choices by weeks end. Then I get to sewing.

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,077

Gini, beautiful block, such small pieces yikes lol

[Ava, Missouri

• Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 473
Points 11,360

Great looking block Gini. Like your colors and your birds are just darling. I am starting on the Sunflower and Sweetpeas block tonight. Will post when finished. Thanks for all your help with this project.

Kathie

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Wed, Nov 2 2011 7:19 PM

thanks,  kris leslie and kathy

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 101
Points 1,615

I've not been keeping up with this group though I love hand applique. I would like a few tips on using embroidery on the leaves. I have an unfinished picture of the dove returning to Noah's Ark with a branch of green leaves in it's beak. I'm afraid I'll mess it up, so it has stayed unfinished for a year or more. How many strands of floss do you use. Are there tips on keeping it looking even?

Janice 

Bible Quilts, www.biblequilts.com

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Wed, Nov 2 2011 10:27 PM

janice, the number of strands dependson how you make your leaves and how big they are.   if you go to the crazy quilt group,  linny is very accomplished at embroidery and can give you more help.

http://www.victorian-embroidery-and-crafts.com/leaf_stitch.html

http://www.besthandembroidery.com/stitch-how-to-videos/leaf-stitch-how-to/

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,450
Jacy replied on Thu, Nov 3 2011 6:22 PM

Gini, your block turned out wonderful. I would never have thought to use checked fabric for the birds but it looks great.

Our power was out yesterday for 12 hrs, so worked on unbroken circle, have 14 more leaves to go. Maybe I'll get it finished this evening. 

Then I'm going to attempt this one.  it may take a while to get it done, I have decided to make quilts for all of my kids for Christmas. I have tops done for 5 of them, so I have to come up with 3 more and get them all quilted.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Thu, Nov 3 2011 7:17 PM

jacy, this was the hardest bock  of the group.   the next few are easier.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,025
Points 369,882
Kris replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 4:08 PM

This block was very difficult to make but I wasn't motivated to work it on diligently. It travelled to and from work with me everyday for over a month. Some days I only added one piece to it. It's finally done. I left out some elements that I wasn't fond of.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,077

Kris, it's beautiful

[Ava, Missouri

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 5:23 PM

very nice kiris,  your colors are wonderful.   sometimes i think the added elements are more of a distraction.  once your block is in a quilt, you'll never notice they aren't there.  heck, i had to go up to mine to see what you left out.   your fabric choices are so wonderful, it's obvious you don't need the medallions.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 5:25 PM

Kris:
block was very difficult to make

yes it is.   take a deep breath, you did good.  the next 3 are a snap.  you'll be able to do them in your sleep.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,025
Points 369,882
Kris replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 6:19 PM

gini:

Kris:
block was very difficult to make

yes it is.   take a deep breath, you did good.  the next 3 are a snap.  you'll be able to do them in your sleep.

Oh I meant to say wasn't very difficult. The pieces were small and gave me hand cramps. The hard part was motivation. I didn't really like it until I got done today. It looks much better than I thought.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,025
Points 369,882
Kris replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 6:21 PM

gini:

very nice kiris,  your colors are wonderful.   sometimes i think the added elements are more of a distraction.  once your block is in a quilt, you'll never notice they aren't there.  heck, i had to go up to mine to see what you left out.   your fabric choices are so wonderful, it's obvious you don't need the medallions.

Thanks Gini. I left the handles off the vase/urn on the left and I didn't put the base/ground on it. I like it "floating". I have my pieces ready for the next one but I won't start tonight. My hands need a break.

Page 1 of 3 (36 items) 123Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use