GENERAL DISCUSSION

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,354 Replies | 50 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,511
Points 417,549
gini replied on Thu, Jul 18 2013 1:28 AM

patricia, try this,   put just a smidgen of your pink, maybe 1/2 inch  then find a light to light medium to go out side of it.   i think your blocks will show up better if your larger border is lighter.  i love the pink and just a wee bit of it as a frame will look wonderful.   

i'm not sure about the brown or a large border of pink. they might overwhelm the center.  let me think about it a bit.  the brown comes out of left field and i need to mull that one over. right now, when i look at your quilt, i see the pink first, then the blocks.  ok, i reread what your are thinking.   the pink is the sashing.   it is so dark i think it takes over the pretty pink in your flowers, it depends on how much of it you show. 

can you cut a few strips off them?   i would like to see them in the proportions you are thinking about.   if the pink is small enough it will be stunning in your quilt. 

do you need sashing?    i'm still thinking a skinny pink border around all the blocks without the sashings would look great, then interview outer borders.  

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,511
Points 417,549
gini replied on Thu, Jul 18 2013 1:30 AM

i'm trying to work through why the brown bothers me, and i can't put my finger on it.   

your blocks, by the way, are beautiful.  nice work

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,511
Points 417,549
gini replied on Thu, Jul 18 2013 1:33 AM

darn it patricia faye.  i hope i haven't hurt your feelings.  i tend to talk first,  then think.   i'm so accustomed to changing feet that i can do it fairly quickly., if not with much grace. 

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 924
Points 17,125

gini:

darn it patricia faye.  i hope i haven't hurt your feelings.  i tend to talk first,  then think.   i'm so accustomed to changing feet that i can do it fairly quickly., if not with much grace. 

Gini, no hurt feelings.  I wouldn't have asked if I didn't want honest feedback.   I appreciate any ideas & suggestions so please don't hold back

The brownish actually has a pinkish tone although it doesn't show too good in the picture.  I agree with a skinny pink border around all the blocks.  Will continue to "think about it."   I usually leave it up on my design wall so I can think on it.  Sometimes a creative idea will come to me and sometimes not...will continue to ponder this one.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020

Could anyone tell me the type of paint used for detailing, ie shadowing or highlighting. 

MelodyP

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,511
Points 417,549
gini replied on Thu, Jul 18 2013 3:58 PM

There are several different fabric paints you can use.   For highlighting I like the pain sticks.  You can get then in a box with several colors.   When I start from scratch and paint an entire design I like the kind you brush on with a brush.   All the brands I have used world well,  I really don't think you can go wrong.  I'm not a home so I can't give he brands.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,511
Points 417,549
gini replied on Thu, Jul 18 2013 4:00 PM

Sorry about the iPhone corrections

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,040
Points 13,220

Gini, too funny. Just to remind you that at our age, boy toy status might not be all you'd imagine. We are talking tantrums, bad habits, too much sex and momma complex. I just got my third one trained and don't plan on training any more!!!!  Hahaha

aka Grandma Sunshine

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020

gini:

There are several different fabric paints you can use.   For highlighting I like the pain sticks.  You can get then in a box with several colors.   When I start from scratch and paint an entire design I like the kind you brush on with a brush.   All the brands I have used world well,  I really don't think you can go wrong.  I'm not a home so I can't give he brands.

gini, thank you very much.  I went hunting and had a time finding the paintstix.  Thank you again!

MelodyP

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Fri, Jul 19 2013 1:11 PM

Maggie aka Grandma Sunshine:

Gini, too funny. Just to remind you that at our age, boy toy status might not be all you'd imagine. We are talking tantrums, bad habits, too much sex and momma complex. I just got my third one trained and don't plan on training any more!!!!  Hahaha

OMG, One has been too much for me! Can't imagine doing it a second time! ROFL!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 234
Points 4,340

Maggie aka Grandma Sunshine:

Haha, I'm with you Maggie! I finally had to marry one a lot older than me to feel like I was married to another adult! 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 234
Points 4,340

Patricia Faye:

I've finished all my blocks & am trying to decide on a border/sashing.  Here are the 2 fabrics I pulled out & put up on my design board.    I'm thinking the pink as sashing & then adding the brownish color as a thin border all around with another wider pink one.  I think it would make the blocks pop!  Any suggestions?

Patricia, your blocks are gorgeous! I like Gini's idea of a small pink frame around each block. The brown doesn't do much for me either. It's kind of blah next to the pink.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,040
Points 13,220

Janet Yamamoto:

Patricia Faye:

I've finished all my blocks & am trying to decide on a border/sashing.  Here are the 2 fabrics I pulled out & put up on my design board.    I'm thinking the pink as sashing & then adding the brownish color as a thin border all around with another wider pink one.  I think it would make the blocks pop!  Any suggestions?

Patricia, your blocks are gorgeous! I like Gini's idea of a small pink frame around each block. The brown doesn't do much for me either. It's kind of blah next to the pink.

Patricia, what do you think about pink and yellow borders?  I like happy colors and the yellow is the sunniest color in the blocks. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Fri, Jul 19 2013 10:44 PM

I adore the pink! The brown? Not so much. I would lean towards one of the blues to go with that vibrant pink.  Just my opinion. 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 128
Points 1,880
Lynn replied on Sat, Jul 20 2013 7:31 AM

WOW!!!  Your blocks are BEAUTIFUL.....  I am on Block 5.  I am doing 5 blocks of the months, I still can not beleive I signed up for five of them.  Love your Blocks.  Lynn

Page 69 of 91 (1355 items) «Prev6768697071Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use