rated by 0 users
This post has 1,300 Replies | 48 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,023
Points 12,975

Star:

Maggie aka Grandma Sunshine:

Hey Star!  How is the arm doing?  Are you out of your cast?  Are you doing appliqué?  I've been working on my next UFO appliqué block but the progress is slow. I have until the end of April since I didn't break anything I'm trying to stay on the schedule we had planned. LOL. I've been working on modifying the first cottage block on paper so I can move on to the actual appliqué part. Now I've downloaded Jingle and ordered Fantasy Flowers. While I was in pattern spot I found several other patterns I liked so I ordered them too.  I fell in love with this Christmas Dove and all the tiny intricate pieces to appliqué. And then there was a Snowflake Delight that peaked my interest. LOL and last I found this reversed paper pieced miniature called Geese Among The Stars. I'm collecting patterns, fabric, gadgets, etc. so my granddaughters don't have to buy anything and can jump right into quilting. I've still got time, they are only three and five. ROTFLMAO

I forgot to ask, what were you doing in Florida? Did you go for bike weeks, spring training, or just to relax for a while by the beach?

Star, we went to Florida to visit some friends that moved there in February. My husband works at the university so he had a week off when they closed for spring break. It happened to be bike week so I watched our friends disabled daughter while they and DH went to bike week in Daytona. DH had fun and I got to stop at 2 quit shops. Lots of goodies were waiting for me when we returned home. LOL we got home Saturday night and I left again Thursday night to go on a three day quilt retreat with my mom. I just got home this evening. We are leaving Friday evening to spend Easter with my family. My DH has to work on Easter so we have to come back Sunday morning. My travels should be over until the Paducah quilt festival the. N my net planned trip to see family isn't until the end of May. It looks like I will be going to another three day retreat (with mom) in June, September and November. I agree, this working for a living definitely interferes with my quilting!!!

aka Grandma Sunshine

• Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,023
Points 12,975

Star:

I have a question about thread. I have always used Mettler Metrosene for applique. I think I read a post on here somewhere talking about using silk thread for needle turn applique. Any thoughts? Does brand matter? JoAnne's has Gutermann sik thread on sale right now for 2.51, regular price 4.19. One of the LQS has a brand called Bike for $5. Any thoughts, is there something better out there?  Thanks in advance for any information.

Star, the silk thread conversation may have been mine. I believe I mentioned that my stitches were showing and someone at my last retreat had mentioned they only use silk thread because the stitches virtually disappear. They do!  I use YLI (because that is what my LQS carries). I've been very happy with it. One tip to silk thread, it comes out of the needle eye much easier than other threads. I tie a knot at the eye so it stays threaded. The knot slides right through the fabric without any trouble. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,023
Points 12,975

My Fantasy Flowers and Heartland were waiting in the mailbox when I got home from retreat this evening. I need to finish my RR border, tweak my CC block design, cut my MQ8 fabrics and pull fabrics for the Fantasy Flowers. Oh what fun and never a dull moment. I won't even mention all the goodies I bought while on retreat. ROTFLMAO

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020

gini in selecting background fabrics  should I keep in mind the color pallet of the total quilt?  For instance all fab have a cool or warm base.  I have played it safe up to now and have used a "neutral" plain background.  The background has not competed with the other colors, yet.  I think I have gotten lucky, but I noticed you chose a plaid and very small pattern.  So I'm guessing that as long as the print is subdued it will work.  As usual I'm not sure I'm making much sense.  I do have a tenancy to over think things.  LOL 

gini:

here are the two fabric i chose for the backgrounds  on floral fantasy.   i think the plaid for the blocks and maybe the orange for the border.  

MelodyP

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,289
Points 413,934
gini replied on Tue, Mar 26 2013 1:17 PM

yes, melody, you wouldn't want too busy a pattern for the background or it competes for attention with the applique.   you want the applique to stand out.   when i pick plaids like this, i need to make my  appliques more bold in color.  a pastel palette wouldn't work quite as well.   it probably would look good, but it wouldn't stand out.  sometimes you want a softer palette and then if you chose your fabrics well, pastels would work.   it all depends on the look you want.   i've done several baltimore style quilts on muslin backs and i get bored.  let me see if i can find a couple of my appliques on plaids

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,289
Points 413,934
gini replied on Tue, Mar 26 2013 1:19 PM

the one directly above is not mine,it's done in a more monochromatic  theme

you can see i like using plaids  i have another one but couldn't find it.  you can use anything for a background,  as long as your appliques stand out. 

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,289
Points 413,934
gini replied on Tue, Mar 26 2013 1:28 PM

click on pictures for a close up

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,289
Points 413,934
gini replied on Tue, Mar 26 2013 1:31 PM

mom is 78 today, so i am off to have lunch with mom and dad.  24 years ago mom had a  heart attack and died several times, before they fixed her up.   we are so very fortunate to have her with us, i use  any old  excuse to celebrate with her.   78 and still beautiful. 

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,532
Points 22,990
Susie replied on Tue, Mar 26 2013 1:46 PM

Gini--have fun with your mom!  Do me a favor and hug her for me! 

Watching them close the casket for my mom just about killed me.  I broke down pretty hard at that point.  If my brother and Pop hadn't been holding onto me, I would have fallen on the floor. My heart is so full right now.  I'm happy that she is no longer in pain and suffereing, but it hurts so bad.  And I'm trying to work.  Need to get my payroll done.  I am allowed 3 days off, and used 1.  I may just need to take a day later this week just so I can allow myself to go through the depression period and grieve.  It's hard to have to be the strong one.  Luckily, my kids were already out the door before they closed the casket so they didn't have to see me that way.

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Tue, Mar 26 2013 2:03 PM

Oh, Susie - it would have been okay if they had seen you. I've never hidden any of that stuff from my daughter. I was so totally devastated when mine passed away. It was so unexpected and I felt so much like crawling into that casket with her. I just wanted to keep her with me and keep her warm. Some might say that it's morbid but, I felt totally lost without her. I was 43 and she was 68. If it hadn't been for me, my dad & brothers would have not had a clue what to do let alone been able to do it so, I had to be the strong one, too and it left me with nothing else to give. I'm here if you need me. {{{{{Hugs to you}}}}}

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,289
Points 413,934
gini replied on Tue, Mar 26 2013 3:58 PM

susie, i'm sorry  you lost your mom.  

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020

gini, thank you very much.  I will study the effects of color patters and how they work together.  Also, enjoy your time with your Mom, it's why I spend more time at Mom's helping take care of her, than I do at home.  She is so precious, and 92.  I do not want any regrets when the time comes.

MelodyP

• Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,023
Points 12,975

gini:

mom is 78 today, so i am off to have lunch with mom and dad.  24 years ago mom had a  heart attack and died several times, before they fixed her up.   we are so very fortunate to have her with us, i use  any old  excuse to celebrate with her.   78 and still beautiful. 

Still having our moms with us is a true blessing!

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,383
Points 360,902
Kris replied on Tue, Mar 26 2013 6:44 PM

gini:

Gini,

that's wonderful. Happy birthday to mom.

I wish I had the kind of relationship with my mother that some of you describe. I can't relate at all.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,383
Points 360,902
Kris replied on Tue, Mar 26 2013 6:46 PM

MelodyP MO/KS:
gini, thank you very much.  I will study the effects of color patters and how they work together. 

Melody,

I used a gingham background with batik appliqué for my "Baltimore's Country Cousins"

BTW, I got my "Fantasy Flowers" today. Will probably start looking at fabrics this weekend.

Page 52 of 87 (1301 items) «Prev5051525354Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use