GENERAL DISCUSSION

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,309 Replies | 48 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 905
Points 16,770

Nana:

I love using silk thread for my applique.  Those are having trouble keeping the needle threaded try tying just a small knot at the eye of the needle with the tail.  The knot is smaller then the eye and doesn't impede the needle going thru the fabric but it helps keep the thread in the needle.

Thank you for the idea of tying a knot at the eye of the needle to prevent the thread from slipping out.  It is really frustrating when it does happen.  I love using silk thread since it becomes almost invisible!  

Great discussions too!  

I fell in love with the Christmas Dove so bought the pattern.  I have the master pattern pinned on my design wall to view for a while before I start gathering my fabrics.  

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 46
Points 675

Hi Melody.  I haven't tried this, but I did read up on the Frixon pens before buying them as I was away and wanted to bring them back for my quilting group.  I read that if you put your item in the freezer that the marks would come back.  It was sort of a tongue and cheek remark about knowing where the quilt was to be used in case it  was going to be outside on a cold winter day.  It would be interesting to give it a try.  

Let us know if you do and the marks re-appear please.  

Leslie on Vancouver Island

• Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 8,740
Jan replied on Thu, Mar 21 2013 9:46 AM

I have heard that Mettler is great so I bought a spool of a neutral color to see if the thread was worth the price.  In my opinion it is NOT.  I am very conscious of not making my thread over 18 inches and this stuff is coming apart.  It is seeming to go fine then all of the sudden not breaking, but pulling apart.  I talked with the LQS owner about it as that is where I got it.  She says it is not like that I must have a bad spool. Since she is talking this back and replacing it I will try again, hesitantly.  What happens to the applique when I wash it if it is pulling apart randomly.?

Jan

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,418
Points 415,784
gini replied on Thu, Mar 21 2013 9:52 AM

jan it sounds like a bad spool.   tug on your appliques to see if the thread is holding the pieces down.   if it acts like it is loosening, you may need to go back and fix those areas. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,418
Points 415,784
gini replied on Thu, Mar 21 2013 9:57 AM

canuck quilter,   if a product comes back in the cold, the chemical is staying on the fabric.  who knows what it will do in the future.   frixon pens were not designed for fabric, and i am not a fan of anything that returns whatever the cause.  i use a fine line mechanical pencil and a white nonce pencil for anything i need to mark.  i have just gotten the bohin chalk pen and i love it, too.  it is now my go to white marker instead of the nonce pencil, because it makes a very fine line. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,418
Points 415,784
gini replied on Thu, Mar 21 2013 10:00 AM

i live in a cold climate and some of my quilts are stored in the back bedroom, and i leave  quilts in the car overnight sometimes when i forget to bring them in. i wouldn't want any marks coming back on those quilts.  i also turn the heat off in the sewing room, which is remote from my house,  it gets pretty firgid in there. 

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
Thanks for the comments. I will make a sandpaper board. It will be a snap, I have all the stuff at home. I enjoyed the web sites, esp because she is not endorsing a product. At the moment I am learning needle turn applique. The Country Cottage is my main quilt to learn this, but I will work on the Wildflower to see "if I can do it". I think I have to have multiple projects going on. I just can't help myself.

MelodyP

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,836
Points 366,177
Kris replied on Fri, Mar 22 2013 7:38 PM

I received notification that P3 designs shipped my pattern for the new project. The name escapes me at this moment.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,499
Points 48,025
Frances replied on Fri, Mar 22 2013 11:36 PM

Kris,

Yes i had received notification that they had despatched my fantasy flowers as well, knowing the distance involved i think you just might get yours before i get mine??

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,418
Points 415,784
gini replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 2:18 AM

a big package arrived today and i just knew it was my pattern,  nope it was for sam.   tomorrow it will be here. 

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,499
Points 48,025
Frances replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 4:45 AM

gini:

a big package arrived today and i just knew it was my pattern,  nope it was for sam.   tomorrow it will be here. 

Gini,

You let Sam get packages you havent got him very well trained have you, no package comes through our door that i havent ordered im not saying they are all patchwork related but most are very squidgy packages.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,418
Points 415,784
gini replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 9:49 AM

Frances:
You let Sam get packages you havent got him very well trained have you, no package comes through our door that i havent ordered

this was work related.   gotta keep the man working so i can afford to buy fabric. 

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 70
Points 1,185
breinkc replied on Sun, Mar 24 2013 11:13 AM

Hi Gini.  I have had fantasy flowers in my want to do pile for awhile.  I had even pulled fabrics for it.  When do you plan to start it?  I flunked the wildflowers.  They are in the UFO pile.

Bren

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,836
Points 366,177
Kris replied on Sun, Mar 24 2013 5:42 PM

Here's my April mini quilt. I hung it since Easter comes in March this year. I did a decorative stitch around the chick to give the look of feathers/fur? It's all needle turn appliqué.

• Post Points: 80
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 905
Points 16,770

Kris, love your April mini-quilt.  Nice job on it!

Page 50 of 88 (1310 items) «Prev4849505152Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use