rated by 0 users
This post has 1,309 Replies | 48 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,470
Star replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 3:19 PM

gini:

because i have always preswashed my fabrics, it is easy for me.  as i buy the fabric i toss it in the wash,  fold it, and shelve it.   it would take months for me to start at the beginning and wash all my fabric.   i don't even want to think about it. 

Chiming in on the pre washing discussion. I'm with Gini, I was taught as a new quilter, 25 yeasr ago, to prewash all fabrics. All of my fabric comes home and the bag is tossed on top the dryer to be washed and ironed before putting away or being used. I took most of my early quilting classes at Glad Creations quilt shop in Minneapolis and that is what they taught and had as a prerequirement for each class. I guess the habit stuck with me.

I have not used any jelly rolls yet, and I don't think I will be pre washing them if/when I do. I also have not used precuts....yet, I'm sure I wll one of these days. I may do as Gini said and swish them in hot water in the sink if they seem likely to bleed. I also do this with smaller fabric pieces and have had many that have bleed. Anyway, that is my two cents, I'm just sticking to an old habit.

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,470
Star replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 3:44 PM

I have a question about thread. I have always used Mettler Metrosene for applique. I think I read a post on here somewhere talking about using silk thread for needle turn applique. Any thoughts? Does brand matter? JoAnne's has Gutermann sik thread on sale right now for 2.51, regular price 4.19. One of the LQS has a brand called Bike for $5. Any thoughts, is there something better out there?  Thanks in advance for any information.

• Post Points: 65
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 18
Points 240
Frank replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 4:44 PM

Gutermann is supposed to be a good brand, I have only used YLI brand silk thread, found it online also from a quilt shop in new york. It is the brand the applique instructor used in the class i took. She also made sure we used the Thread Heaven stuff to make the thread 'more stable.' let us know if you like the guterman.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,424
Points 415,964
gini replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 4:55 PM

For years, the only silk applque thread was yli.    I don't have any experience with any of the other silk threads.    I have read about some silk threads stretching over time, but the article did not specify brands.   I also think the mettler  and gutermanns' silks are very new to the market, so they haven't been time-tested, for what that's worth.  I will try to look up a comparison.   The yli Is expensive, but it lasts a very long time.

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,424
Points 415,964
gini replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 4:59 PM

I can't find a comparison,  only discussions from the various companies making the threads

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 5:04 PM

I'm actually using a silk thread I got when my beautiful MIL passed. It's on a wooden spool. It no longer has a name on the spool. It's the best I have ever used. I did purchase a silk thread from the LQS before I realized I had this other thread. It's not near as good as this other stuff. Lots of appliquer's (is that a word?-lol) don't even use silk thread. I guess it all depends on what you get used to using.

northern colorado

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,424
Points 415,964
gini replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 5:34 PM

i use cotton, lillie.  i have silk thread, i use it when i have trouble matching a color.  i like working with cotton better.   the newer cotton threads don't tangle nearly as much as they used to and they don't slip off my needle as easily. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,852
Points 366,452
Kris replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 7:40 PM

Star:
Yes out of the cast just over three weeks ago.

That's great Star. Glad you're getting back into the swing of things.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,852
Points 366,452
Kris replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 7:43 PM

Lillie:
Lots of appliquer's (is that a word?-lol) don't even use silk thread. I guess it all depends on what you get used to using.

I use cotton thread for appliqué. I've never tried silk but I have used a 100wt polyester. I like cotton the best. I used grey, white, cream and black.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 416
Points 7,690
Emily replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 7:53 PM

I totally agree with you on the fabric bleeding - having had it happen to me before I knew better....and on a Baltimore too.  I diluted clorox and water and ued a Q-tip carefully around the applique and it worked for the most part,  but I never want to do that again!  So it is always best to wash everything like you said.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
I competed the California Wild Poppy and as soon as I work up the courage I'll post a picture. I have also continued on Block one of the CC. I was so disgusted at myself for ironing it and the Frixon pen marks disappearing that I put it aside. I retraced what I needed to in PENCIL this time so I will have it completed soon, I hope. As far as thread, so far I have used Mettler 30 wt cotton, silk, rayon, and I have to say I like the silk and rayon. I just do not cut any of them very long so I will not tangle them and can keep track of how long the tail so I'm not always having to re-thread my needle. My finger tips are soar, but I figure they will toughen up. I hope lol Just how important is a sandpaper board? I love the little scissors that many of you recommended.They made a big difference when making small cuts. I have to do something about being able to see better. I'm still lovin' it!

MelodyP

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,424
Points 415,964
gini replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 9:28 PM

MelodyP MO/KS:
Just how important is a sandpaper board? I
 i love mine.   they are cheap and easy to make.   find one of the old brown clipboards, get some fine grit sandpaper, not extra fine, and some elmer's glue.    cut the sandpaper to fit the clipboard and generously glue down to the side with the clip.   i put plastic wrap over it, a book to entirely cover the sandpaper and a few cans to weight it.   leave overnight.   tada !!!  i glued fabrc to the back of  an extra long board and use it for car travel,  i have one of the tiny boards i use for air travel.   

the sandpaper grips the fabric so you can draw on it with a pencil easily.  the clip holds extra pieces so they don't blow away when the car door opens and it keeps extra pieces secure and out of the way.  i also used this board when i made my 6 inch hand pieced sampler quilt.   the sandpaper is pretty grippy and holds the pieces very well.  

if you are doing freezer paper applique, you probably won't need one, or machine applique.  i do needle turn and it makes my applique prep go a lot smoother. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 9:41 PM

I love using silk thread for my applique.  Those are having trouble keeping the needle threaded try tying just a small knot at the eye of the needle with the tail.  The knot is smaller then the eye and doesn't impede the needle going thru the fabric but it helps keep the thread in the needle.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,424
Points 415,964
gini replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 11:19 PM

i just signed up for sandra leichners web page and look what i found.   she is one of the premier appliquers today, here is her take on applique threads. 

http://sandraleichner.com/wordpress/2010/01/14/applique-threads/

her take on needles

http://sandraleichner.com/wordpress/2009/03/16/tools-matter-the-applique-needle/

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,470
Star replied on Thu, Mar 21 2013 3:21 AM

Gini - thank you for the links, that was very helpful. I also noticed a few spools of the Aurifil at the LQS, I think I will check into that. I have been perfectly satisfied using the Mettler Metrosene cotton, but was just curious about the silk thread I had heard about.

Page 49 of 88 (1310 items) «Prev4748495051Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use