GENERAL DISCUSSION

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,366 Replies | 50 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Sat, Oct 29 2011 1:02 PM

it's not going as tediously as i thought.  once you get into a rythym,  they go pretty quick.   so, it looks like i will be done by the first.   yea

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Tue, Nov 1 2011 12:46 PM

ok, now it is tedious. those little leaves are something to be left to do in your dreams.  anyone doing this block might want to consider embroidery for the tiny leaves.   anyhoo, my daughter brought my camera back without the battery.  why in the world she would take the battery out of it when she doesn't have the charger is beyond my ken.   so i need to make an evening trip to their house to get it back.  then i will post this months block.  it is my dexter morning. he's 2 1/2 and a very busy boy.   i think we're headed out to jump in the leaves one last time

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Thu, Nov 3 2011 2:42 PM

we are now on block 9, if you are doing 12 blocks.  almost done.    how many are planning on making all 16 blocks.   if most everyone is only doing 12 blocks, we are almost finished. 

are you interested in doing another applique quilt together?   think about it.   i need to start hunting out patterns we can make together.    there is a quilt called calico gardens we could do.  it is smaller and has 9 patches every other block.   you could do crazy patches or anything else in the unappliqued blocks.

http://home.comcast.net/~jthompsonccc/garden.html      you could make this as big or as little as you wanted.  the flowers are fairly simple.   the patterns are expensive, but i think i could draw them out  month to month.   the blocks are  3 inches. they could be redrawn to 4 or 6 inches.  anyway  look at the  quilts.  if you click on each person's name you will see their version of the quilt.   it would also be pretty in wools.

this is only one idea, if you have something you  were thinking about making let me know and we'll see how much interest there is in making another quilt together.

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Thu, Nov 3 2011 7:44 PM

Gini - I am really kicking myself for not taking the time during the retreat to get a lesson on needle turn applique. :-(  I was too intent on working on UFO's which are still in the same state as when we left Leavenworth.

I picked Donna's brains a bit Monday to reinforce some of the things I was thinking - have watched the You tube videos through the Buggy Barn plus have seen a couple more on the web.   I am using the straw needles size 10 = tried the 11's and the clover desk threader didn't seem to like that.  I have used both polyester thread and cotton thread.  

I had seen on the Superior site the frosted donuts of Alex Anderson's Masterpiece pre-wound bobbins.  I do like her thread so ordered a "Try Me" order of the bobbins and used one for the first time today.  It is nice to work with and I figure by buying both sets of the bobbins (a total of 72 L bobbins)  I will have a great selection of colors and it is much cheaper than buying spools of threads.  An 85 yard bobbin will applique alot of projects. I am sure you are aware of her thread - extra long staple egyptian cotton thread 50 wt 2 ply and it did work very nicely[

Rec'd my Connecting Threads catalog yesterday and they are selling the exact same pre-wounds with the donut bobbin holder and they are like $2.20 cheaper per set of 36 than Superior's are plus you get free shipping for orders over $50.00.   I have informed DH that I am starting my Christmas wish list and it will be very easy on him. :=)

Sat at the hospital today for an 2 1/2 hours while DH had his second cataract surgery.  I stitched the whole time and it was very relaxing.  Have a long way to go but at least I know where to come for answers to questions I know I will have.  Thanks for all the help and expertise you pass on.

Marge P

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Fri, Nov 4 2011 12:17 AM

are you coming to the retreat next year, marge?  if you are,  i'll be sure to set some time aside for you if you have any questions.

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Fri, Nov 4 2011 10:42 PM

gini:
are you coming to the retreat next year, marge?  if you are,  i'll be sure to set some time aside for you if you have any questions.

Gini - God willing and the creek don't rise, yes, I plan to be in Leavenworth next year.  I hope I don't learn too many bad habits between now and then.  It certainly is an addictive past time. Thanks for the offer.

MargeP

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,027
Points 369,907
Kris replied on Wed, Nov 9 2011 2:41 AM

Gini,

I've been reading the Bunny Hill blog (playing catch up on posts). Anne Sutton states that "Henrietta Whiskers" would be her LAST free BOM. She said they take too much time. How sad. We'll have to find new inspiration.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,817
Points 248,474
Barbara replied on Sat, Nov 12 2011 10:29 PM

gini, are you going to be do the wildflowers from the patterns you just prucahsed. on this group? IF so I may wait and do these with you all , I missed the last session..and I'm sure I will need the help . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Sat, Nov 12 2011 10:50 PM

barbara,   i'm not going to make an arbitrary decision.   i would like to find out how many are interested in making another quilt together,  and then throw it open for discussion on what we might want to make.   i would love to  make the wild flowers with this group.  if there isn't much interest, you and i could do it together, because i'm pretty sure that it will be my applique project for next year.   no hurry though.   we have several blocks left in the country cousin quilt yet.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Sat, Nov 12 2011 10:51 PM

kris, i wondered about that, i see that she introduced another pattern, that i love, but there was no hint of it being offered free. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,817
Points 248,474
Barbara replied on Sat, Nov 12 2011 10:53 PM

Gini, that sound great ,if no one want to do it I love to work on it with you , I did order the patterns ,but I think I already told you that..Dah senior moment  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 473
Points 11,360

Hi Gini,

I would like to follow along with everyone on making another quilt. It could be the one you suggested or another one. Eithere is ok with me. There are only 3 more blocks to do on the Country Cousins. It has been fun seeing what everyone has done with them. can't wait to see all of the finished projects.

Kathie

Kathie

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Sun, Nov 13 2011 11:37 AM

kathie, are you making an applique border for your quilt?

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,450
Jacy replied on Sun, Nov 13 2011 5:35 PM

gini:
i would like to find out how many are interested in making another quilt together,  and then throw it open for discussion on what we might want to make.   i would love to  make the wild flowers with this group.

I would be interestered in doing the wildflowers quilt. I'd looked at that pattern before and thought about buying it.

Bunny Hill's new snowman one is cute too but the pattern is more expensive.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Sun, Nov 20 2011 3:40 PM

http://www.bakersfieldquiltguild.org/sharing/photo-gallery/show-tell/january-2011/day-1432.html

check out this version of the quilt we are making.   i love how she brought the flowers of each block into the sashing

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sophiejunction/3826751088/in/photostream/

if anyone is thinking about selling their book when the quilt is finished,  i've seen them going for as high as $100

gini in north idaho

Page 2 of 92 (1367 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use