General Discussion-Baltimore's Country Cousin

rated by 0 users
This post has 130 Replies | 13 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,511
Points 417,549
gini Posted: Wed, Apr 13 2011 2:00 PM

for those of you who are getting your blocks done quickly and would like to move along faster.   there are four bonus blocks in the back of the book.   take a look at those.  you might want to work on these blocks as we go along

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,511
Points 417,549
gini replied on Wed, Apr 13 2011 2:06 PM

i've just looked over the rest of the blocks, checking for difficutly.   the rest are about the same difficulty rating,  some just have more elements.   so i think,  from here we will start with the first pattern and make our way through the book. with a new block each month.  

how's it going for everyone?   are there any problems i can trouble shoot?  i am liking these patterns a lot.  they are fun to do, nothing too intricate yet, though there are some cool  techniques coming up to try out.   the vases with the cut-outs, for instance, i love picking fabrics for these.     gini

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,313
Points 113,595
Linny t replied on Wed, Apr 13 2011 3:56 PM

gini:
how's it going for everyone?   are there any problems i can trouble shoot? 

Can you give me another day in every week? LOL.  I finished block 1 and after I pressed it I noticed one of my little leaves was not centered.  A little adjustment and it'll be ready for a photo shoot :)  That is unless I decide to do something like you did with the little dots.  That simple thing you did balanced out the whole block.  You're a genius, Gini.

I've got the pattern pieces ready for #2.  I really love this type of project.  Like you say, nothing too hard, but a little bit of challenge along the way.  I'm still training my hands to get used to needleturn again.  I'm used to doing the freezer paper thing, so I'm going a little slow.  By the end I'll be a pro at it, I hope.

Linny T

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,511
Points 417,549
gini replied on Wed, Apr 13 2011 5:56 PM

Linny t:
That simple thing you did balanced out the whole block.  You're a genius, Gini.

careful linny, you'll have my head growing, and it's big enough already.   the dots were truly an after thought.  i had them all cut and ready, but  without a home.   after i laid them on the center of the flowers in block two, i didn't like them.  so, not one to let things go to waste, i stuck them on the block one, which was  a little bare anyway.     gini

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,511
Points 417,549
gini replied on Wed, Apr 13 2011 5:57 PM

and, a day a week is all you need?  i could use 7 more days a week.     gini

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,313
Points 113,595
Linny t replied on Wed, Apr 13 2011 9:01 PM

Well, if the truth be told here, what I really need is to be independently wealthy so I could sew all the time.  I am so frustrated wasting my days working while the good light goes to waste, lol

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,511
Points 417,549
gini replied on Fri, Apr 22 2011 8:35 PM

i just picked up a neat book, hand applique with embroidery, by sandra leichner.   she does an excellent job of embellishing her needleturn with embroidery.  there is a section on needle and thread selection,  how to do needle turn, and a lot more, with good illustrations    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,511
Points 417,549
gini replied on Sat, May 14 2011 9:32 AM

we're off to casa grande. i have enough applique to keep me busy for a month. i hope to get at least one of the BCC done, maybe two, so i can keep ahead of you guys.  i am also taking a tisket a tasket. i only have 5 more of those to go. and in case i get all those finished, i have my take-along- poinsetta quilt.   i've been taking it along for 5 years now, the center is 3/4 done.  what else,  oh, my mini hexagons, they're brainless and i can do them when i get tired.   i think i'm good to go.       gini

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,981
Points 368,897
Kris replied on Sat, May 14 2011 12:16 PM

Have a wonderful time Gini. It sounds like you're well prepared for any downtime you may encounter. 

I look forward to seeing you accomplishments.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,313
Points 113,595
Linny t replied on Sat, May 14 2011 3:43 PM

I hope you have a grand time, Gini!  Take lots of pictures to share when you come back.

Linny T

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 473
Points 11,360

Sounds like fun. We start our summer travels in 3 weeks. Always take along lots of projects to work on while traveling.

Kathie

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 243
Points 6,220

kathie@kallingkline.com:
Always take along lots of projects to work on while traveling.

We have a few travel plans coming up so I have been preparing my blocks for "quilt-as-you-go".  I decided a couple weeks ago that I was going to use a "quilt-as-you-go" technique with hand quilting.  After you have the blocks squared to size you create the sandwich with the batting and backing.  I pin the block in several places, then use the diagram in the book I am referencing to baste the block so that it is stable and secure for the hand quilting process.  Basting is an important step and it takes a little bit of time for each block to get this done.  I have almost finished the quilting on block number 5, and I'm really liking this. 

We are leaving early on Monday and will be on the road going and coming back, four days, so I figure I could get alot of hand quilting done, if I had them all basted and ready to go, so I skipped from doing the basting by hand and did one block on my regular sewing machine.  I used the largest stitch I had on the machine and it worked pretty slick.  I'm almost finished with that block and like how it  has worked out.  Well, I had 7 more blocks that I needed to get basted, so my husband tells me I should use my Willcox & Gibbs... a very old treadle machine that has a loop/chain stitch that just pulls out by pulling the end (no bobbin either).  If you have not seen this in action, you might not be able to envision this, but I finished basting the 7 blocks on my little Willcox, and I'm ready to get on the road.  Trust me, I would not have even thought of using this treadle machine for these blocks, but now that I have, I'm glad I did.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,981
Points 368,897
Kris replied on Sat, Jun 4 2011 9:25 PM

What a beautiful machine Grandma Sal. Thanks for sharing. I love your pin cushion too. 

Have a great time on your trip.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,511
Points 417,549
gini replied on Sat, Jun 4 2011 9:28 PM

sal, what a cute machine,  have a fun and safe trip and i hope you get lots of quilting done.    

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,511
Points 417,549
gini replied on Thu, Feb 9 2012 12:12 AM

now for the hard part, sashing them, putting them together, making a border .............................a binding.  it'll be a while until it's finished

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 110
Page 1 of 9 (131 items) 12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use