rated by 0 users
This post has 26 Replies | 0 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 10
Points 290
Mary Meserve Posted: Thu, Jul 16 2009 11:47 AM

Hi

I love doing applique. I always thought I was doing something wrong as I didn't have much trouble with it. All the ladies in my email group would call it the "A" word because they hated it.

I have tried alot of different ways to do it and really like needle turn the best. I like to use the little bottle of  Roxanne's Glue for Celtic applique. Then I didn't have to worry about the pins falling out. It made it more portable too.

Right now I am working on the Elegant Garden block of the month. It's fun!

Happy Quilting

Mary

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,804
Points 420,834
gini replied on Sun, Jul 19 2009 12:23 AM

hi mary, needle turn is my favorite, too.   i have tried many methods, but always go back to needle turn. right now though i am working on some teeny english paper pieced flowers,  i thought i would hate it,  but  it's a little addictive.  these are going on a border with vines, leaves and stars.  i need about 80 of the little things so it's good that i'm liking it.   have you tried wool applique?   i made two quilts last year with wool.  it is so nice sewing through wool, it's almost like it isn't there, it needles so easily.    i would love to see your elegant garden when it is done.   gini

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25

The tiny tips do get clogged.  I've found the best way to clear them is nice hot water.  Let them soak for a few, maybe an hour if it's really bad, and clean out with a long quilt pin (I used the one with the yellow head).  Don't leave a pin in them to try to keep them clear, tho.  Once they are cleaned out, allow to air dry well and store upright.  If you keep them upright and the cover over the tube you will rarely have to resort to the water bath. 

I prefer hand applique, needle turn, but also do some machine.  Not raw edge tho.  I will check out the raw edge methods you've mentioned, might try it. 

Great group.  Thanks for letting me in.  Phyllis

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,804
Points 420,834
gini replied on Tue, Aug 4 2009 11:21 AM

phyllis, thanks for the tip on glue.   i've only used the glue once last year in a class.  i'm going to need it again this year,   hopefully i can get my old bottle to work.    gini

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 845
Points 11,662
Jutta replied on Wed, Aug 12 2009 12:31 AM

Hi gini,

i have tried a few applique methods and the needle turn is the easiest one for me. Gini, do you pre-applique a few pieces before you sew them to the background? I bought a book called "Kitty Capers" by Carol Armstrong and she suggests, that this method of applique improves the look of the design and makes turning under the meeting edges smoother and easier. I have never tried that before and was wondering if anyone else has tried that method.

I have never done english paper piecing and was wondering what kind of paper you are using for it. Do you need special paper for it or would any kind of paper work? Wouldn't those brown grocery bags be a great source for that or would that be to thick? I am thinking recycling.

Jutta, CA

Jutta, CA

• Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 845
Points 11,662
Jutta replied on Wed, Aug 12 2009 12:36 AM

Hi Mary, do you wash the glue out before you quilt your top? Never used glue before and I am curious.Thanks.

Jutta, CA

Jutta, CA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,804
Points 420,834
gini replied on Wed, Aug 12 2009 1:32 AM

hi jutta,

i don't know what you mean by pre-applique, but i don't think i do it.   sometimes i will finger crease on the drawn line where i turn under, so the piece is pre-creased,  it will fold under more easily.  i use this with difficult fabric  or with a more intricate  or harder piece.    could you explain a little more about pre applique?    thanks.

for english paper piecing,  depending on the shape you are doing, you can buy the little papers pre-cut.    they aren't very expensive and can be reused 6 or more times.   they are about as stiff as the brown bags, maybe a little stiffer.   the advertising papers that fall out of magazines and drive me nuts are about  the right  stiffness.   you have to be able to fold the fabric over the paper without it bending too much.   but it can't be so stiff you can't get a neede through it.  next time you go to a quilt store, ask to look at the pre made papers and feel how stiff they are.  they need to be pretty precisely cut.  you can do it yourself, but it looks like a lot of work.      gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,804
Points 420,834
gini replied on Wed, Aug 12 2009 1:34 AM

jutta, that's a good question about the glue. i have a quilt nearly done that i have used glue on and it never occured to me that i might need to wash out the glue first.  gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,249
Points 254,377
Thea replied on Mon, Sep 21 2009 12:05 PM

gini and jutta - you don't have to wash out the glue ahead of time - if you use too much it is tough to get a needle through so use a thin layer or just enough to get your material to stick - I haven't had any problems and the first time I used it the quilts were sent out to my LA quilter and she didn't have any problems quilting them - so I really wouldn't worry about that... If you use water soluble - it does wash out completely when you wash your quilt and the quilt feels real soft.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 337
Points 5,435
Deanna replied on Fri, Oct 9 2009 6:29 PM

Hi All,

I love any method of applique. I haven't tried paper piecing but I know I will sooner or later. I don't have a favorite. Too hard to pick one. I love whimiscal wall hangings and always applique on my quilts. even the quilts I do for charity. Applique adds so much to a quilt and it is a ood way to add a cut in the fabric. I cut intoone of my quilts and decided to applique stars on it. Turned out really nice. It was going to a 5 year old girl that had it rough most of her life until her grandparents adopted her. Here is a picture of it.

Quilty Hugs,

Deanna
  • Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 845
Points 11,662
Jutta replied on Fri, Oct 9 2009 7:36 PM

Very lovely and great colors. This girl is going to love this one.

Jutta, CA

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 10
Points 220
Sharyn replied on Sat, Oct 10 2009 9:59 PM

Hi Jutta,

I pre-applique everything.  I turn under all the outer edges pre-applique them together and then put them on the quilts.  I do some small pieces with lots of parts and I don't want to do all that work on a large background.  I also don't pick my background until all the little quiltlets are finished.  I would rather change that background at the last minute than redo the appliques that took me sometimes two days each to make.

English paper piecing requires a thicker paper so maybe a double layer of brown paper bags might work.  I have used template plastic and cardboard.  I liked the template plastic best.  It doesn't bend and holds it's shape.

sharyn, Whidbey Island Washington

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 10
Points 220
Sharyn replied on Sat, Oct 10 2009 10:04 PM

HI Deanna,

I have a drawer in my studio that is filled with what I call HAPPY FABRIC.  Your quilt is full of HAPPY FABRIC and should make that little girl's day.   Just perfect for a 5 year old.  I love it.   The stars are just the perfect touch that makes it a joyful quilt.

Thank you for sharing.

sharyn

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 337
Points 5,435
Deanna replied on Sat, Oct 10 2009 10:23 PM

Jutta :

Very lovely and great colors. This girl is going to love this one.

The girl got her quilt last year. It was the only way they could get her to sleep in her own bed. I really love that quilt .

Deanna

Quilty Hugs,

Deanna
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 337
Points 5,435
Deanna replied on Sat, Oct 10 2009 10:28 PM

Sharyn:

HI Deanna,

I have a drawer in my studio that is filled with what I call HAPPY FABRIC.  Your quilt is full of HAPPY FABRIC and should make that little girl's day.   Just perfect for a 5 year old.  I love it.   The stars are just the perfect touch that makes it a joyful quilt.

Thank you for sharing.

sharyn

Hi Sharyn,

Thank you for the compliments. I somehow cut into the quilt top and putting the stars on solved that problem but also made the quilt a bit more special.

Just about every fabric I have are Happy Fabrics. I make a lot of quilts for children in need and I want their quilts to be bright and cheerful. Many are sent to reservations like Pine Ridge Reservation in S.D. With postage getting so high, I am going to stay closer to home when I donate them.

Deanna

Quilty Hugs,

Deanna
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 12Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.