Points 416,729
gini replied on Sun, May 4 2014 10:00 PM

Quilt delite, welcome to the appliqué group

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 21
Points 280

Thank you for the warm welcome. My name is Julie and I'm from western Washington...which means 9 months of indoor activity - it doesn't get cold but unless you're willing to wear plastic, you'll get wet! I have a confession - I have never done hand applique. But one of my favorite parts of quilting is hand sewing the binding - so I'd like to learn. I'm hoping that "hanging out" with this group will give me some beginner pointers. Any suggestions for a newbie to start with?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,460
Points 416,729
gini replied on Sat, May 10 2014 9:10 AM

we have several members from your region.  I used to live in seattle, pt gamble, and ocean shores.   we're now in Idaho.   there are tons of methods for doing applique.  I do needle turn, which for me is the one with the least fuss.  what do you like, flowers? scenery? shapes?  you need to decide on a theme, then pick a pattern.   I can help you determine whether or not the pattern is a good one for a beginner.   the learning curve is pretty fast.   there are so many youtube videos out there to help  you, I can also direct you to some of those when you are ready.

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,460
Points 416,729
gini replied on Sat, May 10 2014 9:12 AM

Julie, we are currently doing a project together.  while the applique in it is fairly simple, the construction is not, so I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner.   how much quilting experience do you have?

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,460
Points 416,729
gini replied on Sat, May 17 2014 4:43 PM

Hi Edie, welcome to the appliqué group

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Posts 21
Points 280
quiltdlite replied on Sat, May 31 2014 11:43 AM

Gini - I've been quilting for 15 years or so - I still work full time, so it's an evening/weekend hobby. Mostly smaller-sized projects (baby, lap, twin) with traditional blocks/patterns. i've discovered that if I bite off too much, I get overwhelmed and it is relegated to the UFO pile. Recently I have been tackling that pile plus using my fabric stash rather than shopping for new.  I have a couple old quilt tops that have been handed down to me from grandmas. I just finished one and the other isn't quite done, so I think I'll cut it down to what she finished. My interest in applique comes from a big bag of desden plate pieces from my maternal great grandma. I tried to put one on a block and it looks horrible. It pulled to one side and I just ripped it out, put it back in the bag and put it away. I'd love to be able to put some of these on blocks and sew them together for a family keepsake.

Sorry it took me a while to get back to you. I get lost on this website pretty easily. I probably need to practice with it more, but during the week, I'm on the computer all day, so it isn't something I regularly do in the evening.

Thanks for your reply and anything you can suggest to get me started.

Julie

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,460
Points 416,729
gini replied on Sat, May 31 2014 11:44 PM

Julie, when you iron the dresdens do they lie flat?   if not, that's not an easy fix.   if they lie flat,   are you appliqueing these by hand or machine?

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Posts 21
Points 280

Gini - The blocks really do lie flat when ironed. It's just the outside "petals" - no center - and they are sewn by hand. They are pretty forgiving. i'd like to applique them by hand - the one I tried, I machine sewed a backing, turned it right side out, so it had finished edges and tried to hand applique onto a large square. Didn't use a hoop and it was a tremendous flop. I think I'd like to try something else first rather than risk ruining any of these plates. I didn't like how the sewn on backing changed the real shape of the petals, no matter how careful I was. I'm sure there's got to be a better way - just not sure what it is??

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,460
Points 416,729
gini replied on Sun, Jun 1 2014 8:18 PM

Julie, needle turn appliqué should work just fine.   Iron them to the backing so they cling, pin them well or thread baste them to the back.   There are other appliqué techniques you can use. Are you familiar with hand appliqué?

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,460
Points 416,729
gini replied on Sun, Jun 1 2014 8:20 PM

Pamela, welcome to the group.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,460
Points 416,729
gini replied on Mon, Jun 30 2014 6:56 PM

hi klaynegrimm, welcome to the applique group

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,460
Points 416,729
gini replied on Fri, Jul 4 2014 11:56 PM

hi sherry, welcome to the applique group

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,460
Points 416,729
gini replied on Fri, Jul 11 2014 8:08 PM

hello bluazami, welcome to the applique group

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,460
Points 416,729
gini replied on Mon, Jul 28 2014 11:12 PM

Hi Janet, welcome to the appliqué group.

gini in north idaho

Page 50 of 53 (795 items) «Prev4849505152Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use