gini replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 8:58 PM

Hi 4koda. Welcome to the appliqué group

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

Hi Appliquers,

I  have been quilting for approximately 25 years.  Applique is my favorite method of quilting preferring the back-basting method which keeps me portable.  Recently finished a queen-sized quilt designed by Edyta Sitar which needs to be quilted.  I am also involved in the Quilts of Valor program for over 5 years and make approximately one quilt a week for them. 

I look forward to visiting Bunny Hill and checking out the designs available.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,397
Points 415,529
gini replied on Sun, Dec 2 2012 12:15 AM

Janet, aj and cottoncollector, hello and welcome to the appliqué group.

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 100

Hey, Lillie!  I am so sorry it took so long to get back to you! Besides working, I have been stitching on my QOV quilt. And the answer to your question...QOV is Quilt of Valor - quilts for soldiers coming home from war, mostly injured and recovering from their various traumas. Instead of me explaining it, I am going to give you a website to look at that explains the whole thing much better than I could possibly do. It is: http://www.qovf.org. 

As for where in NoCal, just east of where you used to live! Pleasanton is about 30 miles west of Manteca, and close to where I used to work at a hospital in Livermore, which is no longer there. In fact, we first lived in Dublin, right across the freeway from Pleasanton! So we might have almost been neighbors!!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 100

Gini: I am afraid you are correct...I doubt I will have a lot of time, as I am already using up most of it, anyway. But perhaps a little bit more time to quilt, I hope.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Dec 11 2012 9:41 PM

gini:
we will be starting a new project in the spring,

Oh dear, then I may have waited too long to get started here.  I was thinking that if I waited for winter, I might have more time to advance my hand applique skills.  Gini, will this be like a Craftsy class and it will run forever???  Will you still check in here even after you've started a new project?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,397
Points 415,529
gini replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 12:10 AM

which project are you starting on? nancy.   i'll be here, but, maybe forever is pushing the limits a tad.   when you post, i'll see it an answer any questions you have, or direct you to a video to help you  out.   don't you love the internet?.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,397
Points 415,529
gini replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 10:34 PM

hi maggie, welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,397
Points 415,529
gini replied on Sat, Dec 15 2012 1:59 AM

hello debbiei, welcome to the applique group

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
Hello, my name is Melody. In the upcoming New Year, I want to learn to needle turn applique. I spend a lot of time with my Mom and do not have a lot of room to cut and sew on patchwork. Hand applique makes since under the circumstances. I' m equipped with applique needles and regular cotton thread and a desire to learn. Now, what is my next step? Oh and my fabric stash. Any suggestions on first time EASY block? Let me say that I'm really trying to do this right, normally I would jump into something difficult and stop doing it because it was complicated for a beginner. So thank you for all your advice in advance.

MelodyP

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,544
Points 23,325
Susie replied on Wed, Dec 19 2012 8:44 AM

Hi Melody!  Gini will have you start on hearts on blocks.  I think there are instructions somewhere in the group discussions.

I know I've not been around much, I've been lurking...  But I do welcome all the newcomers to the group as well!

Gini--I am thinking that I want to do some more applique for the RR that starts in January.  My snowman center worked like a dream for me, even though I discovered that I can't do a proper circle.

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 899
Points 16,650

Hello Melody & Welcome!  I'm a beginner too but thought I'd answer your question.  Go to the Applique Group Home page & on the right side is a list that includes "Pages"  that is where you want to go to find help.  Actually all the links & pages are helpful.  I took a beginning class at my LQS and it was great.  There are also great video tutorials on the internet.  Just google "needle turn appliqué."  Missouri Star Quilts just posted 4 on needle turn appliqué videos "How to Applique Like a Pro" with Jan Patek that are great to learn from. Inner and Outer Curves! The final segment (part 4) of the "Applique Like a Pro" Series!  This is the link from the email I received. (I'm on their email list.)

Hope this helps.  Also Gini is wonderful help so be sure & ask your questions here.  

Everyone have a safe & happy Christmas & New Year.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
Thank you Susie and Patricia Faye I will check both out.

MelodyP

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,397
Points 415,529
gini replied on Thu, Dec 20 2012 12:05 PM

hi melody, welcome to the group.   i love needle turn and i hope you will too.   i started everyone on a heart to get a feel for it.   a beginner class at your local quilt shop  is a great way to start, but i will do what i can to help you here.   let me go see what i have in pages.

gini in north idaho

Page 38 of 51 (758 items) «Prev3637383940Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use