WELCOME TO THE APPLIQUE GROUP AND INTRODUCE YOURSELF

rated by 0 users
This post has 806 Replies | 63 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 55
Sheralbrw replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 4:06 PM

Thanks. I am brand new to applique but really excited to learn everything I can. I just moved from Washington State to a very small town in Arkansas with my job of course no quilt shops around...

Sheral

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,537
Points 416,944
gini replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 6:50 PM

lorena and itsastitch, hello and welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,537
Points 416,944
gini replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 6:51 PM

Sheralbrw:

brand new to applique but really excited to learn everything I can. I just moved from Washington State to a very small town in Arkansas with my job of course no quilt shops around...

that's quite a change of scenery.   we lived in seattle for years, it's nice to be back in a small town

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 935
Points 17,435

Hello everyone.  

I'm new to appliqué but have been on QCA since Dec 2011.  I belong to several other groups on QCA and after seeing some beautiful appliqué borders some of the ladies made while participating in Round Robin 1, I purchased several beginners appliqué books.  I really want to learn how to do appliqué .

I want to make the  Affairs of the Heart Quilt by Aie Rossmann & purchased the fabric to do the blocks. I've printed out the copies of the patterns &  cut out the black blocks for the background but just can't seem to figure what to do next.  I want to use freezer paper,  but find the instructions are confusing.  I've read through some of your postings but I'm still not sure how to proceed.  I'd appreciate any help you can offer.

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,537
Points 416,944
gini replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 1:06 AM

hi patricia faye,  i will go look up the pattern and see what i can do to help you.  you have picked a challenge for a beginner.  it is harder to work on black, but  you will do just fine. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,537
Points 416,944
gini replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 1:33 AM

here is the quilt patricia faye is referreing to        http://www.cherylquilts.com/affairs_of_the_heart.htm

this is a challenging quilt for a beginner, so take a deep breath.

there are a number of videos on the web.  i like mary ellen quilts.   she does a nice job.

you need to decide which method of applique you want to use.  there is needleturn, freezer paper, machine,   i use needleturn,  freezer paper works great, too.   here is needle turn          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axDBl7lJuJs&feature=related

here is freezer paper         http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljl_O2aOT1M

these are the two most commonly used methods of hand applique.  they show how to get your image transferred and how to center it. 

check out these videos and come back and let me know what you think.   

what applique books do you have?

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 7:36 AM

Welcome Patricia Faye. This is a fun group. I'm sure you will get tons of great info from these wonderful people.

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 7:43 AM

gini:

here is the quilt patricia faye is referreing to        http://www.cherylquilts.com/affairs_of_the_heart.htm

WOW! That's beautiful. Is it all needle turn? 

northern colorado

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 935
Points 17,435

Thank you all for the warm welcome & the information/links.  I think I'm going to try  the freezer paper method, but will check out both of these videos first.  

The appliqué books I have are:  Scrap Appliqué Playground by Kay Mackenzie;  Appliqué by Lucinda Ganderton: & Fuss-Free Machine Appliqué by Lori Butler; and of course Affairs of the Heart.  

I'll get busy & watch the videos & will let you know how it goes!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,537
Points 416,944
gini replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 11:05 AM

hi jimsmom and welcome to the applique group

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,537
Points 416,944
gini replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 11:06 AM

lillie, the picture of the blocks look like a beautiful machine applique with a satin stitch.

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 11:09 AM

Lillie:

gini:

WOW! That's beautiful. Is it all needle turn? 

What a beautiful quilt!! Are you sure you are new to applique? It looks very challenging to me since I have never done any applique. I plan to start a project soon when I find one I want that is for a beginner.

Like Gini, I would like to know how the quilt was appliqued, hand or machine. It looks like machine but I could be wrong.

from TN

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,537
Points 416,944
gini replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 11:34 AM

bev, the way i learned to applique,  i chose needleturn  because it has fewer steps,  i cut out four inch blocks and hearts to go on them.  i made over a hundred hearts to go in this quilt.  by the time i was done, i could do a pretty good heart.   from there, i had to learn sharp points and deep vees and some of the trickier aspects of aplique, but i had a good foundation to build on.    the country cousins quilt we finished this spring are simpler patterns.   with some harder ones.  we did the easy ones first then moved up to the harder one.  i have hard that this book is now becoming available in used books at a reasonable price at amazon.  check out the wild flower threads here and see  what you think.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,537
Points 416,944
gini replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 11:42 AM

i went and took a picture for you.  this is my first applique project.  there are 360 appliqued hearts in it.  it is one of the very few of my early quilts that are left.  i was very proud of this when i made it.  actually i still am proud of it.  it's quite an accomplishment. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,537
Points 416,944
gini replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 11:47 AM

this is the quilt that started my fabric addiction, i collected fabric from all over to get the different hearts.  some were old clothes,  this was made back in the seventies, when there wasn't  the variety of fabric we have today.  it has been kept in a dark bedroom over the years, so the fabrics haven't faded.  i made some the same color as the background.  i like to have hidden elements in my quilts, and i like that you have to focus to see all the hearts.

gini in north idaho

Page 33 of 54 (807 items) «Prev3132333435Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use