FANTASY FLOWERS - HEART BOUQUET - BLOCK 3

rated by 0 users
This post has 52 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,537
Points 417,064
gini Posted: Fri, May 10 2013 10:28 PM

I'm sorry folks, I got these out of order.   The ipad has a mind of it's own.    I wanted to show you two things with this block.

first, when I have a large appliqué, I leave it intact, just cutting the outer edges.   The center I leave and cut as I go.  I put the appliqué piece on the background where I want it and iron it to the background, then I pin it securely.  I then thread baste it to the back ground, very securely, I don't want this large piece shifting as I sew, and remove the pins.    I cut away the fabric a few inches ahead of my stitching,  pin this area and snip the basting threads, just in this area.    This keeps the larger pieces where I want them.

the second thing I wanted to show is placement.   Look at the big white blob sorta in the center.    This is the largest flower.  We have a lot of stems and leaves that come together under this flower.  I don't want to get the stems all stitched on and realize I was off a wee bit on one side or another.    I cut this out exactly the size of my finished flower,  put it on the background exactly where I want it..  This is my guide for my stems. I can see exactly where they go,  their little 1/8+ seam allowances are comfortably tucked under the white guide/blob.   

I use the white blob as the backing for my flower, when I am ready to stitch it down.   If you have a lighter fabric that will show the seam allowance, this will hide them.    It also smoothes out the edges of that flower.   You have a lot of little ends hiding just under the seam, thie edge of the big flower will look a bit smoother with this under the appliqué. 

Ok, so maybe I had more than two things to say.    I cut the center heart out on the outer edges of the outline pattern.  This will make it act liking the backing under the flower and the edges will look a bit smoother.  It also insures that the center is big enough to fit under that outer border.   It was basted in place along with the border fabric.   Be careful making that first cut on the border fabric that you don't cut through this inner heart fabric.   There I think that's all I had to say about this block.

So,  these are fun blocks, going together fairly quickly once my fabrics are cut.   I loved making this block.   

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 125
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,040
Points 13,220

Great tips Gini!  Thanks and what a beautiful block. I'm still working on block 1 but really enjoying all the posted blocks. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020

This is really beautiful!  Can't wait to get caught up so that I can start mine!

MelodyP

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 128
Points 1,880
Lynn replied on Sat, May 11 2013 11:06 AM

Gini, your block is Beautiful!!  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Sat, May 11 2013 9:20 PM

Gini

Did you do needleturn on the inside edge of the first heart or just leave it basted and placed the second heart on top?

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,518
Points 48,260
Frances replied on Sat, May 11 2013 9:40 PM

Gini,

Your block is lovely.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,894
Points 69,195
Bonita replied on Sat, May 11 2013 10:17 PM

Gini, It's beautiful, and thanks for the tips. I'm not ready for them yet but know where to come when I am.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,537
Points 417,064
gini replied on Sat, May 11 2013 10:30 PM

i cut the plaid purple heart out the same size as the outer template for the solid purple on top ( i cut it the finished sized of the outer purple border with no seam allowance added).   then i cut out that plain purple a quarter inch larger than the outer edge of the template ( this 1/4 inch is the seam allowance.   the solid purple is 1/4 inch all around bigger than the plaid purple.  the plaid is going to lay under the solid and i want it as big as i can make it so the solid covers it well after stitching).   i draw the inner line on the solid purple, but i do not cut it out.   put the purple plaid under the solid purple matching them exactly or as close as you can.   i iron them to the background,   it holds them a bit better then just laying them on,  and pin baste them securely.   i go back and  thread baste a 1/4 inch from both turning lines on the inside of those lines.   i also baste a 1/4 inch away from the inside line on the inside of the heart.   i don't want these layers moving one whit on me, so i take my time and baste these securely.  

you have now basted both layers to the background.   the plaid fabric is never stitched,   you stitch through it to the background.   the first seam i sew is the inside of the solid purple heart ( that solid purple is the  outside heart border), clipping carefully so i don't go through the plaid or the background.  i only clip an inch or so ahead of my stitching, removing basting threads if they are too close to the seam allowance turn under.   i pin further away from the seam allowance if i have removed the basting threads.  once you have this inner seam stitched, you are home free and the outside seam goes quickly and easily. 

i forgot to add, i don't cut away the inner solid purple at once.   that is the two inch cuts you do around the heart as you sew the inner seam allowance. 

short answer:  i leave it basted and put the second heart on top.   i just baste them together at the same time. 

is this clear enough for everyone?   i can make another heart and do it in steps, taking pictures along the way to show how it is done. 

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Sat, May 11 2013 11:12 PM

I think I got it Gini.   You don't do any needleturn on the plaid only on the inner and outer portions of the purple.  Makes perfect sense to me now.   Thanks.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Sat, May 11 2013 11:13 PM

Gini also if I understand correctly you leave the freezer paper pattern for the center flower ironed to the inner heart until you get all the stems etc in place.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,537
Points 417,064
gini replied on Sun, May 12 2013 12:34 AM

nana, it isn't freezer paper, it's muslin, and i used it to line the flower, since it was already made.   it gives the flower a little bit more poof.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,537
Points 417,064
gini replied on Sun, May 12 2013 12:35 AM

it was basted on, too and it stays in place better than freezer paper. 

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,040
Points 13,220

Gina, thank you for the great tips!

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,028
Points 369,302
Kris replied on Sun, May 12 2013 9:37 PM

Gini,

your block is gorgeous. I just adore that purple plaid.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 416
Points 7,690
Emily replied on Sun, May 12 2013 9:53 PM

Your block is beautiful, Gini.  I love the idea of the reverse applique.  It looks very finished.

Page 1 of 4 (53 items) 1234Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use