FANTASY FLOWERS - BLOCK 1 - POSY

rated by 0 users
This post has 60 Replies | 14 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Wed, May 1 2013 8:38 PM

Thanks everyone for the nice comments on my block.

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,518
Points 48,260
Frances replied on Thu, May 2 2013 9:17 AM

Patricia,

Your block looks lovely.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,040
Points 13,220

gini:

Patricia Faye, I love your block.  Instead of outlining, why don't you pick up some fabric paints and try some shading?   Crayons might be worth a try, too, because they come in so many colors.

Great idea Gini. Patricia, you can also try water color pencils that are wonderful. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,040
Points 13,220

Here are the water color pencils I use and they are wonderful!

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,040
Points 13,220

Maggie aka Grandma Sunshine:

Here are the water color pencils I use and they are wonderful!

If you go th quilting board the have a great PDF tutorial. There are tons of tutes out there on this subject. http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/derwent-inktense-pencils-fabric-tutorial-t140660.html

aka Grandma Sunshine

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 128
Points 1,880
Lynn replied on Thu, May 2 2013 10:09 AM

Patricia, I think your block is beautiful.  I would not outline the vase, I think it looks good the way it is.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,470
Star replied on Thu, May 2 2013 8:00 PM

Great blocks Gini and Patricia Faye. Love the bright colors Gini. Patricia Faye, I'm glad you posted your block, my vase is similar colors. I will make sure to audition the fabrics before I start sewing. I like the idea of fabric paints for some shading.

My block will be done a bit later this month. I have to get the sewing done on the nursery sets and quilts for the grand daughters. One may go home this weekend, the other twin got an infection and will still be in NICU for 2-3 more weeks.

Have fun working on the blocks everyone.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 935
Points 17,435

Thank you all for you comments/suggestions.  I had forgotten that I have set of water resistant wax pastel colors (Caran d"Ache SA) I purchased last year to highlight several of the quilt blocks I did for a Round Robin.  So I found them and highlighted the edge of the vase in a darker pink color & set it with my iron.  The vase looks much better now (I think.)  

Here is my revised Block 1.  

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Fri, May 3 2013 9:16 PM

Maggie

You do know that these are watersoluble and will wash out.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,027
Points 369,907
Kris replied on Sat, May 4 2013 2:04 AM

Nice work Patricia.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,040
Points 13,220

Nana:

Maggie

You do know that these are watersoluble and will wash out.

Nana, I was basing my information on the quilting board and the AQS winner a few years ago in Paducah. It was a lare wall hanging flower but I haven't been able to find my book from that year. The flower made the front cover of one of the quilting magazines too. The trick is to wash out tge sizing before beginning and heat set it when done. You must use watercolor pencils not traditional colored pencils. I'll do a sample piece and try washing it and let you know the results. Hopefully the information is correct because I have a few pieces that I gave away as gifts. 

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/coloring-crayons-transfer-crayons-watercolor-pencils-t133695.html

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 128
Points 1,880
Lynn replied on Sun, May 5 2013 1:50 PM

It looks GREAT!!!  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Sun, May 5 2013 2:16 PM

I love you block, Patricia Faye, and I think over coloring it helped the vase stand out.   Nice job.   

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Sun, May 5 2013 2:33 PM

Maggie

I have some oil paint sticks that I use for overcoloring on my pieces.  After I finish I heat set and the oil colors don't wash out.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,040
Points 13,220

Nana:

Maggie

I have some oil paint sticks that I use for overcoloring on my pieces.  After I finish I heat set and the oil colors don't wash out.

I might have to try oil paint sticks if I discover my watercolor pencils don't set. I'm going to try it out once I get your RR quilt top done. LOL I keep bouncing between your last border and Fantasy Flowers block1. It gives me a break for both projects and both are coming together nicely. When Star and I met at the Paducah Quilt Show we watched a P3 method for hand appliqué. We are both trying it out on block 1. She is also bouncing between another project. Star is working on a nursery set for her tiny twin granddaughters, one of which finally came home. Hurray!!!!

aka Grandma Sunshine

Page 2 of 5 (61 items) Prev12345Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use