FANTASY FLOWER BLOCK- 2 -BLUE BIRD

rated by 0 users
This post has 90 Replies | 16 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 710
Bigburt replied on Fri, Mar 29 2013 1:58 PM

That's what I use glue Elmer's I like the purple stick  when turning over the edge when I have truble  . And the white liquid when placing the appliqué a drop in the center  let dry no more pins.

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,726
Points 364,652
Kris replied on Fri, Mar 29 2013 2:50 PM

Nana,

I used glue for my last Vintage Valentine block. It worked well, however, using glue means I have to wash the finished piece.

I use appliqué pins as well and they're short enough to not cause problems and I have gotten pinpricks. I poke myself more with the appliqué needle.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 222
Points 4,130

Nana:

I have also read somewhere that once the person gets all the pieces of the applique lined up where they want them they place a drop of glue in the center of each piece to hold them in place.   Have any of you tried this before?

In the instructions for the spray starch method (Country Cottages style), after you get it all starched and your pieces all ready to go, you lay them all out on the background fabric and just glue them with the fabric glue a dot here and a dot there, then the whole piece is together. You only have to sew what lies on the outsides then and I haven't had any problems with anything coming loose. I guess if it did, I would just use a pin here and there. It keeps everything aligned and in place where you want it.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 416
Points 7,690
Emily replied on Fri, Mar 29 2013 5:05 PM

I use a glue stick - only a tiny bit in the middle of the piece.  I do one piece and applique and then the next piece and applique, and so on.  I do not wash a hanging afterward because the glue does not show nor does it get in the way of anything.  I never wash a hanging at any time.  But I do wash the fabric beforehand.  Doing a major quilt for the bed, I wash the pieces before hand but an appliqued bed quilt should be washed gently in the bathtub  with a mild, mild soap.

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Fri, Mar 29 2013 10:13 PM

Emily

I wash all my completed projects even my applique in my machine on gentle cycle.   Never had a problem.   My applique pieces need a wash once I finish just to get the fingerprints off....LOL>   as well as any little blood drops when I stick myself.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,726
Points 364,652
Kris replied on Sat, Mar 30 2013 12:37 PM

Emily:
I do not wash a hanging afterward because the glue does not show nor does it get in the way of anything.

I wouldn't want to leave the glue in there. I only use glue if I know I'll be washing.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,726
Points 364,652
Kris replied on Sat, Mar 30 2013 8:52 PM

Hi Gini,

I traced my pieces tonight. The numbering on the pattern is off. Duplicate numbers and one missing number. 

I've decided to leave out pieces 15 and 16 as I can't really see them well on the picture of the pattern.

Not sure when I'll start sewing; I haven't settled on fabrics yet.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 128
Points 1,880
Lynn replied on Sun, Mar 31 2013 8:24 AM

Janet,  I finished my FF block #2.  In ref to stems.  I always trace my pattern on freezer paper then cut out the pattern piece then iron it to the material I am going to use for the stems.  You do not have to place it on the bias because doing it this way it is like any other piece of your pattern. It works so much better than the old way of making stems and it does not take so much material.  Sending you a picture of my block.  I think it needs more leaves  , what do you think???

• Post Points: 125
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 702
Points 11,565
Bev replied on Sun, Mar 31 2013 11:58 AM

Lynn, your block is beautiful! Are you doing machine or needle turn appliqué ?

from TN

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,402
Points 415,599
gini replied on Sun, Mar 31 2013 12:10 PM

Beautiful block, Lynn. I love your feathery fabric for the wing.

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 222
Points 4,130

Very pretty Jacy!  I actually did the same thing for the stems. That is how I have always done it, but I wondered if there was a better way. For this project though, I don't think so. I think your block is just right. You don't want to hide the bird. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,726
Points 364,652
Kris replied on Sun, Mar 31 2013 1:06 PM

Lynn,

I like your block. Pretty fabrics. Nice work.

I trace my stems from the pattern as well. I've never had luck with bias tape makers.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,495
Points 47,945
Frances replied on Sun, Mar 31 2013 1:34 PM

Lynn,

Your block is lovely such lovely fabrics.

Lots of love

Francesxx

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,312
Points 18,400

Oh I love these fantasy floral blocks!

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 416
Points 7,690
Emily replied on Sun, Mar 31 2013 7:18 PM

Lynn, I am impressed!  What a lovely pattern and how well it is done.  It should end up to be a beautiful quilt.

• Post Points: 20
Page 2 of 7 (91 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use