FANTASY FLOWERS - GENERAL DISCUSSION

rated by 0 users
This post has 25 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 221
Points 4,110

mjnev@wildblue.net:

I'm sorry to be a bother but I forgot where to get the Fantasy Flowers pattern. And I need some help with how to get my scallops on the cabins to come out looking good. Any help that anybody can give me I will be very grateful.           

Thank You

Mary Jane

Hi Mary Jane, I usually do needle turn as well, but this time I decided to try the spray starch method that is talked about in the cabins pattern. I tried it and it made those scallops so easy and even and the actual applique was a snap even though it took more prep time. I think that might be shortened as well as I become more proficient at it. I'm going to try it on the Flowers pattern too and just see how I like it as I get better at it.

• Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,027
Points 13,055

Janet Yamamoto:

mjnev@wildblue.net:

I'm sorry to be a bother but I forgot where to get the Fantasy Flowers pattern. And I need some help with how to get my scallops on the cabins to come out looking good. Any help that anybody can give me I will be very grateful.           

Thank You

Mary Jane

Hi Mary Jane, I usually do needle turn as well, but this time I decided to try the spray starch method that is talked about in the cabins pattern. I tried it and it made those scallops so easy and even and the actual applique was a snap even though it took more prep time. I think that might be shortened as well as I become more proficient at it. I'm going to try it on the Flowers pattern too and just see how I like it as I get better at it.

Janet, I tried for years to do what I would consider an acceptable needle turn. My dear friend is fantastic at it and an award winning quilt maker. She kept telling me how much easier needle turn was than the starch method.  Then at retreat in December they presented a couple of demos with starch. OMG it clicked and I love the look. I'm still practicing since I've only been doing this method since December but practice makes "better!"  LOL I've really thrown myself into hand appliqué. My new Bernina 830 is going to get jealous. ROTFL 

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 221
Points 4,110

That's good to know Maggie. I think it's going faster this time around and I really like how easy it is to sew it on the background, especially with big pieces. Sometimes mine come out kind of wonky with needleturn.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,027
Points 13,055

Janet Yamamoto:

That's good to know Maggie. I think it's going faster this time around and I really like how easy it is to sew it on the background, especially with big pieces. Sometimes mine come out kind of wonky with needleturn.

Janet, that was my problem. Although, When I pulled a UFO in January, it didn't look as bad as I thought. I bet the appliqué fairy re-worked those blocks when it was abandoned. ROTFL 

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 221
Points 4,110

Maggie aka Grandma Sunshine:

Janet Yamamoto:

Janet, that was my problem. Although, When I pulled a UFO in January, it didn't look as bad as I thought. I bet the appliqué fairy re-worked those blocks when it was abandoned. ROTFL 

Haha, I need to go check some of my UFO's and see if she's been to my house!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,470
Star replied on Mon, Apr 1 2013 3:05 PM

Ok, I totally missed this discussion. I have my pattern, background fabrics and even picked up a few new fabrics to add to my stash for the pattern. I like the pastels presented, and it is out of my usual comfort zone, so I think I will follow the pattern colors pretty close. Maybe even the scallops on the border, just not like anything I have made before. I'm more of a bold color, jewel tone person.

So, I am a bit ahead on block 1, it is all transferred to freezer paper and cut out. On with block two.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,027
Points 13,055

Star,

i haven't started on my Fantasy Flowers block yet. I'm still working on my UFO appliqué block for the end of April. I finally finished the design changes for country cottages block 1 and block 5. My RR quilt top will be finished by Monday and in the mail. I'm having just a little bit of difficulty getting back on track after so much travel this month. I'm starting to pull myself together and have set my agenda. LOL Sure, Hahaha. 

How is your UFO block coming along?  I take it you are getting back into the swing of things now tat your arm is healed?

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,470
Star replied on Wed, Apr 3 2013 9:15 AM

Maggie aka Grandma Sunshine:

Star,

i haven't started on my Fantasy Flowers block yet. I'm still working on my UFO appliqué block for the end of April. I finally finished the design changes for country cottages block 1 and block 5. My RR quilt top will be finished by Monday and in the mail. I'm having just a little bit of difficulty getting back on track after so much travel this month. I'm starting to pull myself together and have set my agenda. LOL Sure, Hahaha. 

How is your UFO block coming along?  I take it you are getting back into the swing of things now tat your arm is healed?

Hi Maggie,

As usual I am bored with that block, maybe that is why it is still a UFO. I am actually over have done. My plan is to keep working on it, but it will not be my primary applique project. I thought I would work on it after I get the Fantasy Flower block completed each month instead of moving on to the next FF block. I have sooo many projects all backed up, I really hesitated to start a new one, but, that is what we quilter's do. There are just too many projects and not enough time!

I thought I read on one of your posts you are planning to go to Paducah. I was thinking of going up, but it would just be for the show and vendor market on Saturday, my only day off that week. What days are you going to be there, maybe we could meet up. I live about 2.5 hours SE of Paducah, just down highway 24.

Have a good day everyone.  

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,027
Points 13,055

Star, I'll send you a pm. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 449
Points 8,560
Jan replied on Mon, Apr 22 2013 11:10 AM

Gini,

I see a post for Fantasy Flowers Block 1.  Is that the next one we will be doing?  We are taking a road trip next weekend and into the following week and I thought I would take it with me, whichever will be next.  As I am also doing Wildflowers and Country Cottages, I can do other hand work if you don't want to open the next one up until the first of May. Or PM if you don't want it "public" yet.

Jan In Rochester NY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,344
Points 414,814
gini replied on Mon, Apr 22 2013 2:17 PM

Jan,  I thought I opened a thread for block one in fantasy flowers. I'll go check.   Yes, we are doing the first pattern block in fantasy flowers, and from now on, we will be doing the blocks in their number order.   

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 5
Page 2 of 2 (26 items) Prev12
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use