rated by 0 users
This post has 25 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,396
Points 415,524
gini Posted: Mon, Mar 25 2013 9:12 PM

this is going to be a fun project. 

Big pieces, yippee.  I haven't worked with pieces this huge in a long time.    Just this once, I will switch the order of the blocks.   I have a slight chance of getting  block number 2 done by the first of the month.   So we will be starting with block two, the bluebird.  Then we will go back to block one and follow pearl's block order after that. 

After looking the pattern over, I think we will be happy I picked this one.   Hey, the price was right.  There is a bit of reverse appliqué, I can always use more practice on that.

i won't be doing the same border, I know that right now.   I have months to ponder what to do with it.

I love the little bees.   I think this is a good pattern  to try out some broderie perse.   Find fabric that has butterflies on it and appliqué them instead of making them yourself.

this is a pastel quilt,  but I want you to look at pearl's careful use of dark green and the splashes of dark rose.   They are very well placed to give the quilt balance.   See the big splash of dark rose in the center.  I might have placed the vase on the right side,  at the bottom, because it has a bit more dark green than the other two, but that's a minor point.

i am excited to get started. 

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 80
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 222
Points 4,130

I just got my pattern today, along with the Wildflowers! I'm excited to get started!

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 128
Points 1,880
Lynn replied on Mon, Mar 25 2013 9:25 PM

Gini, Thank you,  I have my background materials picked out and the material for the first block.  I got the pattern traced and tomorrow I will get  all together.  I think I will be doing mine in the jewel tones.  Looking forward to seeing every ones blocks and the colors they choose.  Talk later.  Lynn

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 222
Points 4,130

I have my fabrics chosen and my blocks cut out and I'm ready to get serious with some applique!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,703
Points 364,327
Kris replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 11:38 AM

I haven't opened the pattern yet but I have some thoughts for fabrics. I'm not in love  with the border so I probably won't do that either.

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 12:02 PM

I have received my pattern and did look at the second square.   Love these larger pieces.  I think this one will be fun.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 12:35 PM

I just ordered this pattern .I will more then likely not be doing it right away cause I just have to much going on, but I loved the pattern  We'll just have to see. 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 220

I'm sorry to be a bother but I forgot where to get the Fantasy Flowers pattern. And I need some help with how to get my scallops on the cabins to come out looking good. Any help that anybody can give me I will be very grateful.           

Thank You

Mary Jane

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,396
Points 415,524
gini replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 2:42 PM

hi mary jane, you're no bother.  fantasy flowers is at P3 designs.   i like their applique needles too. 

mjnev@wildblue.net:
I need some help with how to get my scallops on the cabins to come out looking good.

i'm afraid practice is the best teacher.

these are for needle turn applique:    loosely woven fabric is hard to applique.    clip the cleavage right up to the line drawn on the applique, as you stitch down to the line your stitches should get closer and closer until they are almost touching.  at the V where you clipped up to, take one stitch through the applique fabric only.   pull or tug on  the thread towards the bottom of the house to draw up any loose threads, then continue up the other side the stitches getting further apart as you  get away from the V.   

if you are having trouble getting the scallops even, again this is for needle turn.   turn the fabric exactly on that line,  sometimes i will fold on the line several times to get the turn where i want it.  arrange the fabric with the tip of your needle once you've turned it under.   i work the needle like a tiny little finger.  once you have the applique turned on the line,  you can tuck just a tiny bit of the fabric under here ane there or work a bit of fabric out with the tip of the needle. 

look under pages,   i have posted a link to videos to show how to do t his. 

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 18
Points 240
Frank replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 3:39 PM

Gini, where would the videos be?  I have issues with the nooks and crannies also. Have ripped out one flower so often I had to get another piece of fabric. (had cut two and even with closely woven fabric tore it up so bad ripping out stitches several times.  I know perfection is not for me but do want it to look nice. Hate it when it puckers and will not lay flat. Thanks.  Been interesting reading you alls comments about children et al. I agree this is nice to read the fun and life goings on among you all. I saw that one of you is a retired RN. I am still in the field, looking forward to the day i can hang up my stethoscope.

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,396
Points 415,524
gini replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 3:50 PM

there ar ea lot of retired RN's here, frank.  

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,396
Points 415,524
gini replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 3:54 PM

i had to go look at the steps frank, but here you go.  go to the top of this page and click on discussons in red.    it is right above the posts and it will say:  applique, dicussions, reply to, etc.  click on discussions.  that will take you to the page where the discussions are listed.   over on the right you will see a line of headings in red: media, pages, i can't remember them all but they are in a vertical line.   click on pages.  there you should find some tutorials.  

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,396
Points 415,524
gini replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 3:55 PM

home

blog

discussion

media

pages

it will look like this in red

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,396
Points 415,524
gini replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 4:01 PM

http://server.nancyellenquilts.com/instruction

it's the second video on the page. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 4:08 PM

Frank

I am a retired RN but my retirement was sort of forced on me due to arthritis.   I worked almost 20 yrs in critical care and truly enjoyed my profession.   But I must say that I really don't miss it that much.   It is nice not being responsible for someone else's life any longer.  

Vinton, Virginia

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 12Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use