Country Cottages Block 1

rated by 0 users
This post has 219 Replies | 24 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 901
Points 16,685

Welcome Raewyn. I'm a beginner too.   I use silk thread & love it.  I have both Clover & Madeira brands & have seen how they really disappear into the fabric.  I have heard that Aurifil is also an excellent thread.  I'm sure others here will offer their recommendation.  

Looking forward to seeing your blocks.

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,407
Points 415,669
gini replied on Sun, Mar 10 2013 11:52 PM

hi raewyn,  i like to use 60 wt. cotton.   aurifil is also good.  silk is a little harder for beginners because it is slick. but it is wonderful to use.  precencia is a good thread, too.

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Mon, Mar 11 2013 7:32 AM

Hi Raewyn and Welcome,

I use silk thread when doing needle turn. For me, it just glides through the fabric. I have friends that use Aurifil and they love it. I have never tried anything but silk.

northern colorado

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 23
Points 450
Raewyn replied on Tue, Mar 12 2013 4:25 AM

Well I went to a quilt store in Sydney today called Logans Patchwork (One of my favourites) and bought some background fabric, some visefix (like heat and bond they told me) needles and embroidery thread something called an applique mat and a new marking pen I have heaps of scrap to use and some wool felt too. Margaret Kirkby who owns the shop is such a lovely lady. Gave me a heap of free advice. I have attended Margarets talks at the Sydney Quilt Show and her love and passion for quilting oozes from her it's quite infectious. She makes gorgeous quilts too! So I'm ready to start come Saturday (bummer working fulltime sometimes) I don't think I'll be as fast as most of you girls but I'm happy to plod along and ask dumb questions as I go. Thanks in advance :)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Tue, Mar 12 2013 7:45 AM

Raewyn:

Well I went to a quilt store in Sydney today called Logans Patchwork (One of my favourites) and bought some background fabric, some visefix (like heat and bond they told me) needles and embroidery thread something called an applique mat and a new marking pen I have heaps of scrap to use and some wool felt too. Margaret Kirkby who owns the shop is such a lovely lady. Gave me a heap of free advice. I have attended Margarets talks at the Sydney Quilt Show and her love and passion for quilting oozes from her it's quite infectious. She makes gorgeous quilts too! So I'm ready to start come Saturday (bummer working fulltime sometimes) I don't think I'll be as fast as most of you girls but I'm happy to plod along and ask dumb questions as I go. Thanks in advance :)

Raewyn,

I'm really looking forward to seeing your first block. Can't wait to see what beautiful fabrics you purchased in Sydney. Margaret sounds like a wonderful person and a wealth of info for you.

northern colorado

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 222
Points 4,130

I finished my first block, but I'm not too savvy with computer stuff. I'd like to post a pic, if someone can tell me how, LOL

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,407
Points 415,669
gini replied on Tue, Mar 12 2013 11:52 PM

janet, i load pictures directly from my camera to the site.   i click on the green film strip on the icon bar. right above where you are typing a reply.   then i click on browse and it gives me some options i click on my computer and there are choices, one of whick is my canon camera.  i click on that and it brings up all the pictures on my camera and i select the picture i want  it should be easy to do from there, i don't remember the rest of the steps.   

if you go to your home page, on the left will be a bar on getting started at QCA,  it will tell you how to post to your gallery and the steps to post on a thread are pretty much the same.  tomorrow, when i am more awake i could walk you through it.  darn, not tomorrow, i am busy all day. 

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 222
Points 4,130

• Post Points: 110
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 222
Points 4,130

Haha, thanks Gina! Now I just need to figure out how to add comments on the same post as the pics! If I can how to do this until I finish the next block I'll feel pretty acccomplished!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,763
Points 365,047
Kris replied on Wed, Mar 13 2013 1:49 AM

Pretty block Janet. Nice work. I like the house fabric.

After you upload your photo just type what you have to say in the same box before you click "Post".

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,020
Points 65,130
Robin replied on Wed, Mar 13 2013 5:33 AM

Janet,

Your block is so cute.  I wish my roof border looked that good.  I've done it three times and its still pointy in places.   I love your fabric combinations.

Robin

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022
Leslie replied on Wed, Mar 13 2013 5:45 AM

Janet, your block is wonderful

[Ava, Missouri

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Wed, Mar 13 2013 7:19 AM

WOW Janet. Your block look great. You did a fantastic job on the scalloped edge.

northern colorado

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,550
Points 23,460
Susie replied on Wed, Mar 13 2013 8:47 AM

Oh, I love your block, Janet!

I really, really need to dig through my stash to find the fabrics to use for it.  And since I decided that they will be mini-wall hangings for each month, I want to use different backgrounds that will sort of match the month.  I just have to get through a couple of outstanding projects first!  I may jump ahead & do them out of sequence so I can start enjoying them. 

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 901
Points 16,685

Janet, you did a wonderful job on your block.  I love your snowflakes.  Looking at yours, I realized I forgot the snowflakes on the background so I'll have to pull it out & add them.  

• Post Points: 35
Page 3 of 15 (220 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use