rated by 0 users
This post has 219 Replies | 24 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,488
Points 47,820
Frances replied on Sat, Mar 2 2013 12:10 AM

Patricia,

Your block looks wonderful, i only hope mine looks half as good.

lots of love

Francesxx

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sat, Mar 2 2013 7:20 AM

Patricia Faye:

Thea:

There is a little blue box - called heavenly thread 

I have some of that...now I just have to find it!

I have that as well, but have never used it. I should start using it.

northern colorado

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,488
Points 47,820
Frances replied on Sat, Mar 2 2013 9:01 AM

Lillie:

Patricia Faye:

Thea:

There is a little blue box - called heavenly thread 

I have some of that...now I just have to find it!

I have that as well, but have never used it. I should start using it.

Yes i have that as well, and guess what ive never used it ive had it for at least 10 years.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,993
Points 64,400
Robin replied on Sun, Mar 3 2013 8:36 PM

PatriciaFaye,

Your block is precious.  I really lov what you did with you snowman.   Thanks for the tips.

Robin

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
I am puttering away with my Country Cottage block 1. I had used the Frixon pen to mark my block and this morning without thinking pressed the block, bye bye marks. LOL A lesson learned the hard way. I'm still loving it and will be ordering good sharp scissors this week-end.

MelodyP

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,333
Points 20,025

Lol.  I can't tell you how many times I've done that with paper piecing.  I like to write which colors go where on the paper so I don't have to think as hard while I'm piecing.  Since my frixion pens are always lying around, that's usually the first thing I grab.  Then, once the first piece of fabric gets added, all my writing is gone!!  :(

Raleigh, NC

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 221
Points 4,110

I've got my pieces all placed on my block and ready to begin stitching. Trying to finish up a few other projects that are screaming at me, but anxious to get to the stitching at the same time.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,538
Points 23,145
Susie replied on Thu, Mar 7 2013 2:42 PM

I haven't even started mine, other than downloading the patterns.

But, I have a little incentive now.  I think I want to make each block separate as mini-wall hangings so I can decorate my cube at work.  Thank you Carolyn for the wonderful idea!

However, I have never made anything to hang before.  How do I do that, exactly?  I'm guessing that there are tutorials, but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me before I start pulling out my hair searching.

Chicagoland, Illinois

• Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 889
Points 16,535

Susie:

I haven't even started mine, other than downloading the patterns.

But, I have a little incentive now.  I think I want to make each block separate as mini-wall hangings so I can decorate my cube at work.  Thank you Carolyn for the wonderful idea!

However, I have never made anything to hang before.  How do I do that, exactly?  I'm guessing that there are tutorials, but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me before I start pulling out my hair searching.

Glad you're going to try making the blocks.  Not sure what type of material you have in your cubicle to mount the block/hanging, but you can find 8 ways to hang it at this http://www.alzquilts.org/paqdisplay.html (sorry I couldn't print it as a link.) There are many others out there if you do search.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
I was better than halfway through with the first Country Cottage block when I erased the remaining embroidery marks so started the first block of the Wild Flower block, California Poppy. I have to say I really LOVE the needle turn applique! I ordered the Kay whats her name scissors and got them today. So I'm ready to rock and roll big!

MelodyP

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 23
Points 450
Raewyn replied on Sat, Mar 9 2013 11:51 PM

Hello Patricia and everyone in the group. My name is Raewyn and I was kindly pointed in this direction when I mentioned I wanted to learn applique when I joined the board. I have found the pattern for Country Coattages and downloaded them to my PC. I'm just delighted there is a beginners group I may not feel completely intimidated after all :) Now I need to read the posts and instructions to see what I need. You will get used to me playing catch up most of the time I have to fit in ful ltime work and a mystery quilt . I will get the supplies this week to get started asap. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all and seeing  your blocks.

Waving from Australia  

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,993
Points 64,400
Robin replied on Sun, Mar 10 2013 7:34 AM

Welcome Raewyn,

I'm a beginner to.   Everyone on this site is real friendly and helpful.  I know you find the answers you're looking for.

Robin

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,650
Points 135,977
Leslie replied on Sun, Mar 10 2013 8:20 AM

Hi Raewyn, welcome

[Ava, Missouri

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
Raewyn, waving right back at, ya! I too am a beginner, but have really taken to the applique. I can work on my block without much fuss or muss. I have been doing the needle-turn. After all the prep work, all I have to do is pick it up and sew. Looking forward to getting to know you.

MelodyP

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 23
Points 450
Raewyn replied on Sun, Mar 10 2013 8:57 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome. I have decided to go with a cream background and really want to do needle turn rather than fusible or machine. What do you recommend for thread? I have Aurifil is that good to use?

Page 2 of 15 (220 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use