Country Cottages Block 1

rated by 0 users
This post has 219 Replies | 24 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 924
Points 17,125
Patricia Faye Posted: Fri, Mar 1 2013 8:07 AM

Welcome to Country Cottages Block 1.  I'm a beginner & have taken 1 class at my LQS to learn the basics.  I've also used many of the references/tutorials Gini has provided us along with her wonderful advise/suggestions.  I hope everyone enjoys these blocks s much as I do.

The Cottages for these blocks have a lot of straight lines that make them fairly simple, but the rest of the block may offer a few challenges for a beginner, but don't despair.  Consider each an opportunity to increase your skills.  

So for Block 1 I experienced 3 challenges: (1) all the curves  (V's) of the roof trim,  (2) the tiny little carrot nose of the snowman, and (3) the detail on the house. (1) I referred to several tutorials on how to do the V's and ended up ripping it out several times before I was happy with it.  We'll get lots of practice with these since they are on each of the cottages!  (2) The carrot nose was difficult because it is so tiny!  I think it took me 2 tries to get it right. I don't like tiny pieces.   I know I need stronger lenses for my glasses when I can hardly see where to place my stitches!  (3) I haven't done embroidery in years and had some difficulty transferring the pattern to the fabric, but I managed.  Gini offered a suggestion to use Saral transfer paper so I've ordered some to try.  

I used a white on white fabric for my snowman instead of felt or wool & I'm happy with the way it turned out.  Here's my block:

We look forward to seeing everyone's block and hearing about any challenges you may have experienced too!

Have a great day!

• Post Points: 185
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,077

PatriciaFaye, love your block.  I am doing fusible on these, i have everything on my background just not sewed down yet

[Ava, Missouri

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,615
Points 247,287
Thea replied on Fri, Mar 1 2013 8:23 AM

Patricia Faye - thank you for all the tips - your block is gorgeous - love the little door handle - so cute... great job!

• Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 924
Points 17,125

Thank you for the compliments Leslie & Thea.  I'm trying somewhat to match the colors they use, although I'm using fabric from my stash.  Looking forward to seeing everyone's blocks.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 247,949
Barbara replied on Fri, Mar 1 2013 9:30 AM

Patricia your block is beauitful ,I hope to get to work on mine sometimes this month , thanks for all the tips .Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 234
Points 4,340

Very nice job! These are fairly simple because of all the straight lines, but they are also very cute. I'm waiting for my shipment of silk thread so I can start mine. Should be here today. I've never used silk thread before so I'm excited to try some new technics. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Fri, Mar 1 2013 10:37 AM

Patricia Faye,

I think your block turned out beautifully.

I think I will use carrot buttons for my noses as I plan to do more embellishments on my blocks. Nope, I have not even started gather fabric.

Also, if your background fabric shows through your snowmen, you can always make a double layer of muslin and your fabric. If using felt or wool, you won't have that bleed through effect.

northern colorado

• Post Points: 0
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 128
Points 1,880
Lynn replied on Fri, Mar 1 2013 12:46 PM

Your block look wonderful,  I have just finished my first block.  I think that this quilt is going to be really cute.  Lynn

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 924
Points 17,125

Janet, I used silk thread & love it, but don't cut it too long or it will give you fits!  Believe me, I know...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,615
Points 247,287
Thea replied on Fri, Mar 1 2013 1:03 PM

There is a little blue box - called heavenly thread or something like that - you can find it in the LQSs and if that isn't the name someone will know what I am talking about - we used to use bees wax but this stuff is better.  Anyway, take your thread and pull it through it and your thread will work much better - no tangling - oh gosh I wish I could remember the name I would get it out and look at mine but I already packed it in the car - if no one else tells you the name Thread Heaven - that is the name...it costs between 2 and 3 dollars and you only have to buy it once - it lasts and lasts and lasts - kind of like the ever ready bunny... 

I also use silk thread for hand applique' - I use YLI or Madeira.

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
Patricia Faye, Nice job on your block! I am inspired!

MelodyP

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 924
Points 17,125

Thea:

There is a little blue box - called heavenly thread 

I have some of that...now I just have to find it!  I

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 924
Points 17,125

Thea:

There is a little blue box - called heavenly thread 

I have some of that...now I just have to find it!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,979
Points 368,857
Kris replied on Fri, Mar 1 2013 8:42 PM

Pretty block Patricia. I really like the button embellishments.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,979
Points 368,857
Kris replied on Fri, Mar 1 2013 8:45 PM

Thea:
There is a little blue box - called heavenly thread or something like that - you can find it in the LQSs and if that isn't the name someone will know what I am talking about - we used to use bees wax but this stuff is better.

Thea,

Thread Heaven. I have some in my sewing kit I use it for hand sewing but it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference for me as far as tangling goes. I still get lots of knot as the thread twists. It does make the thread feel really smooth though. I use cotton thread for my appliqué.

Page 1 of 15 (220 items) 12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use