COUNTRY COTTAGES by Shabby Fabrics- general discussion

rated by 0 users
This post has 109 Replies | 19 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022
Leslie replied on Sun, Feb 24 2013 5:06 PM

Hi Lynn, I live on A, hwy, towards Gladetop.   yep i stop by dogwood quilting, often.  it is a small world

[Ava, Missouri

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
I have already started my Cottage block 1. I figured I had better see if this needle turn is really what I want to do. It is, so I ordered silk thread. Have the straw needles and applique pins along with a fairly sharp pair of scissors so I have the Cottage up to the windows and embroidery. The straight lines are easy and then the trim.......... Well had to cut a second trim due to raveling and rubbing the chalk mark off. I clutched it too tight :-\ I am pleased that I have gotten this far, not perfect but I am chugging along! Besides we have the second snow storm moving in and I won't be going anywhere any way.

MelodyP

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,031
Points 13,105

MelodyP MO/KS:
I have already started my Cottage block 1. I figured I had better see if this needle turn is really what I want to do. It is, so I ordered silk thread. Have the straw needles and applique pins along with a fairly sharp pair of scissors so I have the Cottage up to the windows and embroidery. The straight lines are easy and then the trim.......... Well had to cut a second trim due to raveling and rubbing the chalk mark off. I clutched it too tight :-\ I am pleased that I have gotten this far, not perfect but I am chugging along! Besides we have the second snow storm moving in and I won't be going anywhere any way.

Melody,

Good for you!!!  We all started exactly where you are. I love silk thread. Use short lengths of thread because it may tangle easier. No clutching, gentle holding. Hahaha 

aka Grandma Sunshine

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
Maggie, will work on relaxing. haha

MelodyP

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Tue, Feb 26 2013 8:08 AM

MelodyP MO/KS:

Oh! I love silk thread. It's just perfect. Also I heard that the applique scissors with the tiny teeth work really well and help to keep the fabric from fraying. I don't have the scissors with the teeth. If anyone does, please let us know how you like them. I don't think they are Olfa scissors. I do have the Olfa 5" applique scissors and I really love them.

northern colorado

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,406
Points 415,664
gini replied on Tue, Feb 26 2013 8:47 AM

any sharp scissor work, but i love the ones with the serrated edges.  mine are karen kay buckley's.  they have large finger holes

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Tue, Feb 26 2013 10:12 AM

gini:

any sharp scissor work, but i love the ones with the serrated edges.  mine are karen kay buckley's.  they have large finger holes

Yes, yes, yes! Those are the scissors I was talking about. I must have heard about them from Gini.  Gini is a wealth of useful info!

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
Lillie and gini, I will keep that name brand in mind because I will be purchasing new ones especially for needle turn. My block looks terrible and I will end up redoing it. However I have learned so much!

MelodyP

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,406
Points 415,664
gini replied on Tue, Feb 26 2013 11:23 AM

melody, what are you having trouble with on your block?

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 128
Points 1,880
Lynn replied on Tue, Feb 26 2013 5:07 PM

Melody, I use Sulky Rayon threads it does a beautiful job and I beleive is cheaper than silk thread.  I use size 9 or 10 Straw needles, they are longer and handel really well.  I do the needle turn as well but I use freezer paper for my pattern.  I trace the pattern on the dull side of the paper and cut the pieces out on the drawn line.  I then pick out my material and iron the pattern piece to the RIGHT SIDE of the material, iron it in place and then trim leaving a scant 1/4" of material around each piece.  I then use a fine point permant pin or use a water souable to trace around each FPaper piece, I use that line for a guide to turn under.  I leave the freezer paper on the piece until I am ready to use it.  If the pieces are number on the pattern I wright the number on the FP Piece.  When working with the block, I tell my student to roll the background square up to the part where you are working, that way you background material will not get all wrinkeled and you work stays very neat.  By doing this I never have have to trim my block.  I always cut my blocks to the required size, I then crease the block background in half both directions to find the middle and lay my design out to make sure it is centered.  I do not draw my design on the background because i can never it the pieces just right, I always eyeball the design.  It just makes it easier for me, everyone always finds there own method.  I hop this will help you a little.  Lynn   P.S. By Ironing the FP on the right side of the pattern, you never have to worry about making sure of the direction of the pattern.  It just makes things so much easier.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 128
Points 1,880
Lynn replied on Tue, Feb 26 2013 5:34 PM

Leslie, I was at Dogwood Quilting today,  I bought some more Applique needles.  Cinnnie is going to order some more #9 , she was out and that is my fav..  Connie has such a nice shop.  Can not wait until springLOL.   Lynn

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Tue, Feb 26 2013 5:34 PM

MelodyP MO/KS:
Lillie and gini, I will keep that name brand in mind because I will be purchasing new ones especially for needle turn. My block looks terrible and I will end up redoing it. However I have learned so much!

OK, now don't laugh too hard.  Gini recommended them last year and I purchased a pair but have not gotten around to using them.  I keep them right next to the Olfa 5" scissors. Gosh! You'd think I would remember!!!!!  lol  This old age thing ain't for the faint of heart.

northern colorado

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,031
Points 13,105

Lillie, I know what you mean. Over the weekend I rummaged through some books and embroidery discs. Just like fabric, I found that I had more than one copy of several books and embroidery disc. LOL I should use them since I bought two I must have really liked them!!!  ROTFLMAO

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
gini, I did not mark my block as well as I should have and so I'm having trouble getting door, windows, embroidery centered. I may rip out the sides and bottom of the cottage, transfer the position of the windows door and embroidery. Then re-sew it all. I was focusing so hard on the correct size of stitches and being sure they were invisible that I forgot to be sure everything lined up. Talk about tunnel vision! Today while I was trying to decide what to do I found I really missed doing it. So I'm going to redo the cottage up to the scolloped trim remark and go again.

MelodyP

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
Lynn, thank you for the instructions on using butcher paper. When I took a class on applique 30 years ago I learned using cardboard templates and pressing the seams with sharp folds. This time I really want to learn the needle turn process. However, I know I will have a good back up! Thanks again!

MelodyP

Page 6 of 8 (110 items) «Prev45678Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use