COUNTRY COTTAGES by Shabby Fabrics- general discussion

rated by 0 users
This post has 109 Replies | 19 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini Posted: Mon, Feb 11 2013 11:16 AM

hi all,  Patricia Faye has agreed to lead our  beginner appliquers with the country cottages quilt.  thank you Patricia Faye, i know you will do a great job.  

patricia faye would like to start in march, so march 1st is our starting date.  she will post the first block then and let you all know how easy it is to sew.  

i will be starting a more advanced quilt in april or may,  so far, it is looking like garden party is getting the most nods, but we have plenty of time to add more ideas. 

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Mon, Feb 11 2013 3:03 PM

gini:

hi all,  Patricia Faye has agreed to lead our  beginner appliquers with the country cottages quilt.  thank you Patricia Faye, i know you will do a great job.  

patricia faye would like to start in march, so march 1st is our starting date.  she will post the first block then and let you all know how easy it is to sew.  

i will be starting a more advanced quilt in april or may,  so far, it is looking like garden party is getting the most nods, but we have plenty of time to add more ideas. 

I can't find anything on Shabby's web site with Country Cottages. Might it be called something else?

northern colorado

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Mon, Feb 11 2013 3:05 PM

Lillie:

gini:

I can't find anything on Shabby's web site with Country Cottages. Might it be called something else?

Oh, it's under their free patterns.  http://www.shabbyfabrics.com/Free-Patterns-W4.aspx

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,135
Jacy replied on Mon, Feb 11 2013 3:11 PM

Glad you found it Lillie.

I just read that the cottage patterns would be up until March 2013 so anyone who's interested should be sure to download or print out all the blocks before then.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, Feb 11 2013 8:37 PM

thanks Jacy ,I 'll get them downloaded tomorrow. had to go get ink today for the printer.. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 6:40 AM

Patricia ,I got my blocks all downloaded,  looking foward to wroking on these. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 901
Points 16,685

Hello everyone!  I am so excited to lead the beginners group doing Country Cottages.

I am relatively new to appliqué.  I took a beginning class at my LQS ( Appliqué 101 & 102) last year & really enjoyed it.  I'm also signed up for a BOM/workshop hosted by the same instructor at my LQS called Designer Bootique.  It started in February so I'll miss this month since I'm here visiting my daughter, son-in-law & granddaughter here in Maryland until 3/13, but I'll catch up when I get back to Texas.  You can see the boot pattern here :  Holly-Nelson-TX-LARGER.jpg  I love them.  She's not selling the pattern until the fall (or you get one each month by attending the BOM) because she is entering it in the Houston Quilt Show in Nov 2013.  She does beautiful work & is a great instructor.  

There are lots of tutorials on Utube that are excellent.  I know Gini has provided a list of books & other resources that are great for both beginner & advanced appliquér,  Gini is also a great resource for us too!

I've started working on the 1st block for Country Cottages & am making notes to share with you all when we get started on March 1.  Looking forward to getting to know each of you & improving my appliqué skills as we work through Country Cottages.

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
Patricia Faye I have the patterns and am working on background fabric and templates today. Looking forward to learning with you!

MelodyP

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 10:05 AM

thoase boots are really cute. 

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 46
Points 675

Hi Patricia Faye.  Thanks for agreeing to lead this group.  I'm looking forward to the year.  Not sure where I will find some of the fancy rick rack  for the edges of the roof though.

I am new to hand applique and have done one picture.  I have done lots of embroidery over the years and know how to use a needle at least-lol   

I too am away from home, and am  heading home in early March.  I will have to play catch up too.  

I've downloaded the patterns  and I'm thinking of back ground fabric right now.

Thanks again.  

Leslie usually on Vancouver Island

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 901
Points 16,685

canuckquilter71:

Not sure where I will find some of the fancy rick rack  for the edges of the roof though.  

Leslie usually on Vancouver Island

The pattern doesn't call for rickrack & includes the edging template, but you could use rickrack in instead.   It is a little challenging to do, but will help to master the ovals (similar to the rounded part of a heart.)  They are on each of the 12 cottages so you'll be an expert after completing all of them!

I look forward to getting started with you all!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 901
Points 16,685

gini:

those boots are really cute. 

I know.  I tried to buy the pattern to do on my own, but have to participate in the BOM or wait until November.  I will have Holly's expertise by participating in the BOM at my LQS.  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,548
Points 23,405
Susie replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 7:35 PM

WOOHOO!  I'm going to try to get the patterns as well, and save them to my computer.  I need to get through the RR and my SIL quilt before I can really focus on this, but I'm hoping!

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022
Leslie replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 7:40 PM

I started down loading these when they first came  out.   they are doing a new one now,  might have to join in with this group

[Ava, Missouri

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,135
Jacy replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 7:44 PM

I think I'll make this with machine applique, I have a hard time finding hand-stitching time. Any one else thinking of machine applique, or are you going to do traditional needle-turn.

• Post Points: 50
Page 1 of 8 (110 items) 12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use