this one was a little tricky getting all the moving parts in the right spots, this is how i solved my issues.
i pinned the pattern to a couch pillow with one pin. i took the three pieces of petals in the back at the top, and stuck a pin straight down into the pillow, with the pin going in the same spot at the top of the applique piece and pattern. with the tops in the correct position, i moved the bottoms until they were placed in the right spot. i carefully pinned these three pieces together as is. i put these three pieces that are now pinned together, on the background, placing them in the right spot. while they were still pinned together and now pinned in postion with one pin, i pinned each petal in it's place and removed al the extraneous pins. next, i pinned those pieces at their bottoms, then folded back the tops of the two top flowers, and pinned those tops out of the way. i stitched the furtherest back petal, unpinned the top of the next petal and stitched it down, unpinned the third petal and sewed it.
i then did the same with the last two top petals. once you get these 5 top petals positioned and sewn down. the rest of the petals go down pretty easily.
if we look at the flower on the left, i did the top three petals on the right first then the two on the left. in doing the bottom, i pinned the three petals on the left together and positioned and sewed them the same as the top and then the two on the right, leaving the center petal for last. make sure before you sew the three petals on the bottom left down, that you are leaving the right amount of room for the center petal. i pinned the two groupings of lower petals, and laid them in place and fiddled with placement until i knew there was not going to be too much space for the center petal to fill.
good grief, that was a lot of explaining. i hope it was clear to you. this is a very satisfying flower to make.
put your darker petals in the background, and your lighter petals toward the front to make the petals stand out better. on the left hand flower i used much lighter fabric for petals 16, 17 20, 21, and 22.
the back petals can be seen much better than the picture shows.
gini in north idaho
nice work. I like this flower. Thanks for describing your process.
Great work, Gini. Ingenious method.
thanks kris and emily. my background fabric is a damask that is very soft. i cannot get anythng to mark on it to follow lines on the background. this is the way i am overcoming that issue. it has worked pretty well so far.
it will be interesting when it is time to quilt it. the background on my harry potter quilt is the same fabric in a different color. i bought a bunch of this fabric because i love the look of it. it may not have been such a good choice. i'll find out when it is time to add sashes and quilting.
Gijni as usual , beautiful flowers.
EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!
Pretty block, Gini. I did this one on Friday night and it was a stinker with all those tiny pieces. Wish I'd have read your remedy before doing it. Still I'm happy with how it turned out.
I only have 3 blocks left to do. I can hardly believe it.
good for you linny, i have 4 1/2 left to go. they are all cut out and the leaves are placed, so it is just a matter of stitching everything down. i thought i would wait until the first of the year to finish, but...... you know how it goes
Yes, Gini, I do know. These little blocks are addictive. I have 2 more, but I've been working on the RR in the CQ group. Another adictive thing.