WILDFLOWERS - OCTOBER BLOCK - MEXICAN HAT

rated by 0 users
This post has 27 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 416
Points 7,690
Emily replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 5:30 PM

Gini, I know there was a thread for this and I spent a half hour trying to get to it.  How do I find a thread that is not for this month?  I just typed the name of the flower in the TAG line and I guess that didn't do it.  You know how stupid I am when it comes to this site. 

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,511
Points 417,549
gini replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 6:05 PM

well, i know you're not stupid, emily, because i am exceptionally brilliant and i have trouble navigating this site. (  i have some bridges for sale if anyone is interested)  if it weren't for spud and kris pulling me along i wouldn't find anything either.  

when you click on discussions,  in the upper left you will see sorting and filtering.    you can change the length of time that things are shown and hide the things you've already seen.   so when i want to find a thread,  i click on the bottom tab which gives you the option to show all or show just what you haven't read.  you can click on show all  just temproarily, and it will show everything from the length of time that you have set for  that one viewing.   let me pull it up on another window so i can talk about it better. 

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,511
Points 417,549
gini replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 6:15 PM

alrighty then,

1.  click on discussions on the upper right in red, under home and read

2.  go almost directly left of that  and in red again you will see, sorting and filtering, click there

3.  you have "sort by",  "with date", and "withread status"

4. the "with date" sometimes doesn't stick and you'll  need to reset it as needed

5.  in the "with read status"  your options are:  show all, or hide topics i've read.

i hide the topics i've read, but i can go to "show all"  and click on apply.  it will show all for that one viewing, and i can scroll through until i get the topic i'm looking for.   if i click on apply and save and it will always show all.   sometimes if i am looking for several things i will apply and save until i'm through.

i hope this helps you emily,  it really isn't a big deal for me to move stuff, but i like to let you know what i'm doing.    if you can't find something, you can always let me know and i can try to find it for you (quite often by asking kris, she's a sweetie and a life saver here for me)   then i can "bump"  the thread, which brings it to the top of the que.  

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,511
Points 417,549
gini replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 6:17 PM

and the reason you haven't been able to find them with tags, is because i haven't remembered to tag them.   the search engine here is very poor, but it doesn't help when the threads aren't tagged.

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 416
Points 7,690
Emily replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 6:38 PM

Thank you, Gini.  I  actually did it and it worked.  The instructions were very clear.  The only thing is I couldn't find the original "Mexican Hat".  Kris said there was an original thread for that. 

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,981
Points 368,897
Kris replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 8:03 PM

This is the original link for Mexican Hat. I think Gini removed the one you started and moved your block here.

For sorting and filtering you need to adjust the "with date" box to "show all". It defaults to the past two months. That's why some threads seem to have disappeared. I wrote to admin about it because you have to adjust it every time even when you choose "apply and save" but it's still the same.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,981
Points 368,897
Kris replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 8:07 PM

As for tags. If you go to the group's home page and look down the right side you'll see the heading "Tags" all our tags are there. Choose "view more" to see them all on one screen, in alphabetical order.

It will say something like "Browse by tags" click on the one you want and you'll see all posts with that tag. 

When writing your own post you can select from a list of tags if someone has already used a tag you can select it or create your own.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,981
Points 368,897
Kris replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 8:10 PM

By the way Emily, I like your block.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 416
Points 7,690
Emily replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 8:13 PM

Thanks, Kris.  All these things on this site confuse me.  Sooner or later I will get the hang of it. 

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 416
Points 7,690
Emily replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 8:17 PM

Thank you for liking my block.  I did try the tags to the side of  the page and it had only 4 pages and I couldn't find the "Mexican hat" on them.  That is why I started another one.  Gini explained to me about the discussions and finding the threads and, as I said, I will catch on one of these days.  I am getting closer and closer to getting it right.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,981
Points 368,897
Kris replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 8:35 PM

You're welcome Emily.

Some things about this site are not very intuitive or user friendly. I've been here a very long time and I still don't know all the ins and outs.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,511
Points 417,549
gini replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 2:04 PM

thanks kris, for unlocking  more of you secrets on manuevering through tags.  

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,981
Points 368,897
Kris replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 10:01 PM

You're welcome Gini.

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) Prev12
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use