rated by 0 users
This post has 125 Replies | 21 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,358
Points 414,944
gini replied on Wed, Aug 8 2012 12:17 PM

Barbara:
now I won't have to feel guilty cause I can get those points ,maybe someday it will come to me ..Barbara

uh, em, i think you need to be awake to catch them.   :  )

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Aug 9 2012 12:49 PM

Gini, here is my rose, I did my best ,i know it comes with pratice, so don't be to harsh with me LOL  I have not dne my embelsihments yet as  I plan on doing the all at another time.   I had alot of trouble with the buds , any tips you can give me would be welcome, Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 416
Points 7,690
Emily replied on Thu, Aug 9 2012 12:57 PM

Your rose is fine.  What I did with my buds:  I pieced one of them, and got disgusted.  My pieces are ultra-small.  So I put one piece in the other one and embroidered the other half.  It works out much better if you can embroider the very small parts.  I like your fabrics.  Very nice choices.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Aug 9 2012 1:01 PM

thanks Emily , what you suggested makes sense,I was trying to do them one at a time and it was awful . I have alot of edges that are frayed and I just could not get them turned to save my life , it may have been the fabric I used ,but it was frustrating. I'll keep at it though Im not a quitter.. barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,472
Points 362,097
Kris replied on Thu, Aug 9 2012 1:56 PM

Barbara,

your block looks great. With tiny buds you can just fold a piece of fabric into the shape you need then sewn it down. No edges to turn under.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Aug 9 2012 4:31 PM

Kris ,thanks that is a big help, I will give it a try . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,497
Points 138,408

Barbara,

I had the same areas of problems with the buds.  I definitely had too little seam allowance and didn't realize it until I took the picture and saw my little frays. The pic's are like looking at things under a microscope aren't they? LOL

My magnifying light really helped me, but I didn't use it until I came to the petals.  I knew I'd never be able to do the center so I did a tiny yoyo. A small button would have done too.

I think these patterns are really advanced for a beginner, but what a great learning tool and helpful advice we get by diving in and giving it a go.

Your color choices are lovely. Love the change ups in the petals of your flower and leaves.  So happy you posted, so we can  learn together.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 416
Points 7,690
Emily replied on Thu, Aug 9 2012 5:10 PM

I didn't think of that one either.  Good one.  I will try it.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Aug 9 2012 9:29 PM

Stephaine, thank you ,I am a beginner on needle turn, but I do know this is one of those things that get better with pratice. So I'm not discouraged . I think it came out pretty good for just being my 4th flower .. and having not worked on any since the Vrigina beach retret,. WE'LL get it figured out here soon. LOL  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 45
Pete replied on Thu, Aug 9 2012 10:34 PM

How do I download these patterns for the blocks. I am new here and love these flower blocks. I'm a new applique enthusiast. Thank you.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,358
Points 414,944
gini replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 12:28 AM

Pete, these patterns are from P3Designs.  You will need to order the pattern.  They were $12 for all 25 of the flowers and the borders.

Stephanie, enlarged, these patterns aren't too hard.  I've also recommended that beginners round their leaves more and not do the little dips on the sides.   The buds are easier to do in one piece, and I didn't notice much difference in my pieced buds and non-pieced buds.  Embroidery can be done to replace small pieces. I like the idea of folding the buds, I didn't think to mention that.   I agree that in the six inch size they are pretty hard for a beginner.   I enlarged a couple and they were doable for a beginner

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,497
Points 138,408
Stephanie replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 2:53 AM

Thank you Gini. I'd think I'd like to try one more the actual size and leave a little more seam allowance this time. I watched the video that you recommended and went back to TQS and watched The ThimbleLady's video Between those and everyones help and advice I have learned a lot. Practice, practice.

I went back and looked at your block. Your stitching is  flawless. I think after doing one it makes me appreciate that applique is an art.     

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 9:06 AM

Gini , thanks for the info you gave Stephaine, I did n't thank about enlargeing the pattern some.I think I'll try that and see if its easier .  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 9:13 AM

OMG, Barbara! Yes - enlarge them - it IS sew much easier! I'm machine appliqueing and even doing that at 150% enlarged (to fit 9" blocks) it can be a bit tricky!! I'll bring mine to the NE Ohio retreat to show you what I've done - I'm sew excited!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 9:23 AM

Shelia ,I can't wait to see them. that will be great,I may even bring a few to work on. as well . thanks Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 3 of 9 (126 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use