rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,482
Points 417,079
gini Posted: Sat, Apr 28 2012 9:18 PM

DIPS

i have been thinking about how to help with those dips that we are seeing in a lot of the leaves and flowers and how to help you approach appliqueing them. this is a tip that marlene thought was very helpful.   you only need to be thinking about the fabric right where you are stitching and the next couple of stitches you will be taking, that are currently  under your thumb nail.  don't worry about how the line is or is not tucked under an inch away from your stitching.  it's not important yet,  you'll get to it soon.

one of the first things i do is twist the fabric back and forth right where the dips are to loosen the weave a little.  if the dip is on the bias, sometimes this is enough to  get the dip to turn under without clipping.  if it doesn't want to turn under nicely i give one clip in the center.   clip to the line, but not in it or past it.   you will know soon enough if you have clipped too far or not enough.

as you are going down the right side of the dip, i want you to totally forget about the far side. don't worry if it goes too far under or not far enough under.  you can turn the entire hill under on that far side if you want.  we aren't interested in it yet.   the only thing you should be thinking about is how to turn the fabric right under your thumbnail.  

when you get halfway down that right side, put your needle under the fabric on that far side, tuck the fabric under  and sweep the needle clear over to the last stitch on the right side.  ( you may need to do this a couple of times and smooth the fabric  with your needle to get it to lie down)  now, remember,  i don't care how far the fabric turns under on the far side, i'm only interested in the next few stitches i'll take  that are under my thumb.  continue stitching  and adjust the fabric on the line.   as you sew down to the bottom of the dip,shorten your stitches as you approach and leave the clip.   and take one more stitch just barely starting up the other side.

now, we can worry about this far side.  if your fabric is tucked too far under, use the tip of your needle to tease the fabric back out until you are again stitching on the line.  continue up this side,  teasing the fabric out a few stitches at a time.  

if you are enlarging the patterns, the dips will be larger and you may need to do a couple of clips.

remember whereever you clip the innies, you have weakened the fabric and your stitches need to get smaller, ie. closer together as you approach the clip and as you leave the clip.

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Apr 28 2012 10:22 PM

gini,thank for the info this is a big help , Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,482
Points 417,079
gini replied on Sat, Apr 28 2012 10:25 PM

you're welcome barbara

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 109
Points 2,360
1Lori replied on Sun, Apr 29 2012 8:21 AM

Thanks Gini. That helps alot.  I have been trying to get the fabric to lay right way beyond what I am presently sewing.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,482
Points 417,079
gini replied on Sun, Apr 29 2012 11:56 AM

you're  welcome lori, i posted this in pages so it won't get lost

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,422
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Sun, Apr 29 2012 1:36 PM

Thanks Gini, Marlene did share this tip with me and it is really a good one.  You should publish a book,  I bet it would be a lot more helpful that a lot of them already ot there

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,482
Points 417,079
gini replied on Sun, Apr 29 2012 2:32 PM

Thanks Maggie,   I don't have time to write a book,   Too many UFOs and new ideas in my head.

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,508
Points 48,175
Frances replied on Sun, Apr 29 2012 2:39 PM

Then make your own DVD, that would be really helpful.  Now the only problem is what to call it?????

lots of love

Francesxx

ps perhaps you could have sam on the cover posing

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,482
Points 417,079
gini replied on Sun, Apr 29 2012 2:48 PM

Posing as what?   A needle, he's sharp enough.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,482
Points 417,079
gini replied on Sun, Apr 29 2012 2:52 PM

We'ld have to slim him down a bit and poke out one of his eyes, or put a patch on one.   He probably wouldn't hold still for an eye poking out.,  this could be doable.

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,508
Points 48,175
Frances replied on Sun, Apr 29 2012 3:05 PM

id even be willing to send my fireman fabric so you could make him an outfit, hey you need to think of ways to sell your product.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Sun, Apr 29 2012 4:40 PM

Gini,

Fantastic job explaining dips! You are the best teacher!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,482
Points 417,079
gini replied on Sun, Apr 29 2012 11:31 PM

marlene, i have great students,    thanks

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, May 2 2012 9:24 AM

Gini I just found this awesome web site for Starch Applique that I thought some might be intrest in . BArbara

http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/2011/05/easy-applique-the-starch-method-by-joanna-from-fig-tree-co/

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,482
Points 417,079
gini replied on Wed, May 2 2012 11:55 AM

Barbara, this is very similar to the elmers glue stick method. I used Elmer's glue instead of starch.  It works pretty danged good.  Give it a try and see how you like it, and report back to us.    

Thanks for the link, the woman does a great video tutorial.

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use