Questions about applique for Fons and Porter

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 36
Points 930
Beth Posted: Sat, Apr 14 2012 2:15 PM

I started on the "Vase of Flowers" project in the latest F and P issue of Love of Quilting.  I have had a couple of small issues so far.  It talks about doing needle turning but I really can't do that anymore.  So I am just using Heat and Bond to attach the flowers and leaves and plan to maybe do some machine applique over the edges.  My machine has some good stitches for that.  I can even use the "see through" or what ever you call it thread to make it less visable.   The biggest problem is the stems.  The directions say to cut a bias piece 3/4 of an inch, fold in thirds and press and use for the stems.  They are HUGE so am making them MUCH smaller.  I will hold them in pace with heat and bond for a bit and then machine applique.... does this make sense?

from northeast Pennsylvania

http://agardenersart.blogspot.com

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,460
Jacy replied on Sat, Apr 14 2012 2:52 PM

Beth:
The directions say to cut a bias piece 3/4 of an inch, fold in thirds and press and use for the stems.  They are HUGE so am making them MUCH smaller.  I will hold them in pace with heat and bond for a bit and then machine applique.... does this make sense?

Beth, if they say to cut it out 3/4" and fold in thirds, then I would cut them 1/4" if I were fusing them. 

I don't like to use the clear thread for applique, just use regular old thread and match it to your fabric.

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sat, Apr 14 2012 4:06 PM

Beth:

I started on the "Vase of Flowers" project in the latest F and P issue of Love of Quilting.  I have had a couple of small issues so far.  It talks about doing needle turning but I really can't do that anymore.  So I am just using Heat and Bond to attach the flowers and leaves and plan to maybe do some machine applique over the edges.  My machine has some good stitches for that.  I can even use the "see through" or what ever you call it thread to make it less visable.   The biggest problem is the stems.  The directions say to cut a bias piece 3/4 of an inch, fold in thirds and press and use for the stems.  They are HUGE so am making them MUCH smaller.  I will hold them in pace with heat and bond for a bit and then machine applique.... does this make sense?

Those stems seem rather bulky to me. Sounds like you have 3-layers of fabric for the stems. I usually cut a 3/4-inch piece fold it in half (wrong sides together), sew a 1/4-inch seam from the folded side. Then cut it really close to the seam and I have created a "fabric tube" for my stem. Then use a 1/4-inch turning bar and iron right over the bar and fabric as I slide the fabric tube over the bar and turn the seam side down. Sounds really complicated but it goes really fast. It's all pressed with no raw edges and I lay the stem however I want it on the background. It's all cut on the bias, so it's easy to curve the stem.

northern colorado

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 36
Points 930
Beth replied on Sun, Apr 15 2012 7:51 AM

Thanks to you both for the advice.  I will do a practice run on scraps to try some different threads for the machine embroidery.      As for the stems.  I made a LOT thinner piece of bias fabric and it looks a lot better.  I still folded it in thirds but it doesn't seem so thick.  The fabric I am using is fairly thin anyway.  Hope to work more today and hope by the evening to finish up the applique part.  The rest of little quilted hanging is pieced triangles.  Much easier I hope!

from northeast Pennsylvania

http://agardenersart.blogspot.com

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use