WILDFLOWERS-First four blocks

rated by 0 users
This post has 178 Replies | 14 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Tue, Apr 10 2012 7:59 AM

Beth Weigt:

Am I the only person stuck in the dugout?? I have the pattern, the background fabric and some FQ for the flowers but can't seem to even cut the background squares. I know they need to be 1" bigger than the size I have chosen (10").  Do I trace the pattern on the background? I just can't get in gear :<

No Beth you're not alone. I have not started my Wildflowers either. I have to finish my sista's king size pillow shams. Then I have to decide which flowers I want to make (as I'm not doing all of them). Then I have to enlarge the selected patterns 200%. Then I have to get the tracing paper. Cut out background squares (13" each) etc, etc, etc!  It's never ending.  lol

Don't be discouraged. Decide how big you want your background squares to be and enlarge your patterns accordingly.  Here is a link to the enlarging/reducing table provided by another person in this group. Sorry-I can't remember who to give the credit too for letting us know about this table.

http://thequiltedsnail.com/scale.html

northern colorado

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Tue, Apr 10 2012 8:02 AM

Sheila- You make me laugh. Consider this a pat on your back!

northern colorado

• Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Tue, Apr 10 2012 8:26 AM

Lillie:

Beth Weigt:

Am I the only person stuck in the dugout?? I have the pattern, the background fabric and some FQ for the flowers but can't seem to even cut the background squares. I know they need to be 1" bigger than the size I have chosen (10").  Do I trace the pattern on the background? I just can't get in gear :<

No Beth you're not alone. I have not started my Wildflowers either. I have to finish my sista's king size pillow shams. Then I have to decide which flowers I want to make (as I'm not doing all of them). Then I have to enlarge the selected patterns 200%. Then I have to get the tracing paper. Cut out background squares (13" each) etc, etc, etc!  It's never ending.  lol

Don't be discouraged. Decide how big you want your background squares to be and enlarge your patterns accordingly.  Here is a link to the enlarging/reducing table provided by another person in this group. Sorry-I can't remember who to give the credit too for letting us know about this table.

http://thequiltedsnail.com/scale.html

Oh, Beth & Lillie - don't sweat the small stuff, ladies! One step at a time.  I mean, look at how many people here are just now finishing something they started last year, the year before, uhhhhhmm, a decade ago according to the UFO stories! You just put one foot in front of the other - okay, okay, how about one flower in front of the other? LOL!!

• Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Tue, Apr 10 2012 8:28 AM

Lillie:

Sheila- You make me laugh. Consider this a pat on your back!

Oh, Thanks sew very much, Lillie! Hmmm, while you're back there could you move your hand a little to the right? Uh, just a smidge lower? YEAH! Right there! Would you mind scratching that? AAAHHHHhhhhh. Thanks {Grins & Giggles}!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,490
Nana replied on Wed, Apr 11 2012 10:42 AM

I have been tracing block patterns and templates.  Have the first block just about finished and going to start cutting fabric pieces for a couple more blocks in a little bit.   So far the blocks go together very easily.  I feel sure there will be some in the future that aren't near as  quick....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 30

I just joined the group - where do I find the wildflower patterns and supply list? Margo

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,123
Points 411,179
gini replied on Wed, Apr 11 2012 1:05 PM

if you do them like they are in the book, yes they will start to get more complicated.   i think i can simplify them quite a bit as we get there.   the block i just finished, i had issues with.   the fabric i picked did not like close clipping, so i had to do a simpler separate piece as the calyxes.  it looks just fine.

this is the fabric i piced for most of the stems, so i either have to find another fabric  or continue to simplify.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,123
Points 411,179
gini replied on Wed, Apr 11 2012 1:10 PM

hi margo you will find the patterns at P3designs

http://www.p3designs.com/shop/product/pattern-wildflower/

if you are doing hand applique, i just got a pack of her applique needles and i love them.

i'll hunt up the supply list for you,  but it is basic applique supplies for hand sewing.   i like to use 60 wt. cotton thread for applique, but use what you like to work with.

are you planning on machine or hand applique?

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Wed, Apr 11 2012 2:45 PM

Gini, How was your class yesterday? Did you teach or participate and what kind of class was it?

northern colorado

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,123
Points 411,179
gini replied on Wed, Apr 11 2012 4:49 PM

lillie,   it was a great class,  our guild puts on a class or a sew day  every month on the day of our guild meetings.   this month  the instructor taught us another method for  making 9 patches with perfectly matching corners, no long strips,  pretty quick.   i love learning new techniques, especially ones i will use

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Wed, Apr 11 2012 5:01 PM

That sounds wonderful Gini. It's nice to go to class and learn something new. Or even a new twist on doing something you've done forever.

northern colorado

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 48
Points 1,010

Hi, Gina Here I am over from the Bittersweet Mystery site.. Thanks for the invitation. I have ordered the Wildflower pattern from P-3 will be a fun project as I need some hand work to do in the evenings away from the sewing machine. :)  Is this the main discussion thread for the Wildflowers project?? 

Thanks, 

Jen

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,123
Points 411,179
gini replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 11:00 PM

hi jen, this is the thread to post the blocks we finish.  i've started a discussion thread. called wildflower discussion thread and i hope all the talking moves over there.  anyway, welcome aboard.

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 416
Points 7,690
Emily replied on Sat, Apr 28 2012 8:27 PM

This is Block 1 - 6" size.

• Post Points: 110
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,642
Points 61,860
Jacy replied on Sat, Apr 28 2012 8:42 PM

Very pretty block Emily, perfect fabrics too!

Page 11 of 12 (179 items) «Prev89101112Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use