BLOCK 15 - SUMMER ROSES

rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 473
Points 11,360
Kathie Kline Posted: Wed, Jan 18 2012 10:19 AM

Block 15 is finished. Only 1 more block to go, then to put the quilt together.

Kathie

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,135
Jacy replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 10:46 AM

It's beautiful Kathie, I love your color choices, they glow!

• Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 186
Points 4,891

Great job!

Rose Hall

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 2:25 PM

kathy, you have done another outstanding block.  your colors are great.  

i'm just finishing bluebells, i was hoping to get caught up with you, i don't think it's gonna happen. 

have you decided how you are going to finish your quilt

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022
Leslie replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 7:07 PM

Kathy, great block

[Ava, Missouri

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,728
Points 364,662
Kris replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 8:10 PM

Pretty block Kathie.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,172
Points 111,325
Linny t replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 10:00 PM

Very pretty, Kathie.

Linny T

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 12
Points 450
wymedic replied on Fri, Jan 20 2012 5:45 PM

That looks great Mom love the colors

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,494
Points 46,835

Very pretty block, I am looking forward to seeing the finished quilt.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Jan 28 2012 1:46 AM

Kathie , very pretty , really good job .Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Tue, Feb 7 2012 6:57 PM

kathie, i don't know how you assembled you basket, i wanted to get this close to the top of the posts.  there are several ways to approach this basket.  this is the one i picked as being the easiest.  i am doing it like a hawaiian quilt, and  just like i did the tree in the pear block here.  

i  drew the outer basket pieces on the upper fabric, all in one piece.  i over laid that yellow fabric over the blue.   you can cut the blue or lower fabric out a little larger then the upper fabric and trim it as you go.  i wish i had done that.  i needed to be very precise with the placement.   i drew on the background the corners of  the basket and pinned the two fabrics to the corners.  i then went back and smoothed the fabrics over the back, rechecked to make sure they were still in the right place. i pinned the poo out of that basket. vertically.  i started on the left side and stitched the outer border of the yellow fabric first. now that this spoke is secure, i went in and cut between the two spokes careful not to cut the blue fabric and to leave as much seam allowance  on either side as i could.   this is where all th epinning is important.   you don't want anything to shift on the right side, while you are working on the left.   stitch up the right side of that first spoke.  

you can see that i left the top of this first spoke attached.   i realized that was unneccessary and will probably hinder adding the top of the basket.  on the next spoke, you can see i cut all the way to the top.    as you stitch up the left sides of all the spokes, once they are secure, you can remove the pin holding the spoke down and go up the other side.   i will continue left to right until they are all stitched.   this is giving me pretty uniform spokes and it is pretty easy as long as you have secured it well.   because these spokes are so skinny, i didn't need to do any clipping making less distortion as you stitch.  

when you stitch the top and bottom bars on the basket, start with the side closest to  the basket.   that will save you some headaches if you're off a little.

i love the centers in these flowers, but not on this quilt. those are leaving tonight.

one more thing. i decided not to trim the blue fabric as i sewed.  i left the top and bottom fabrics a litlle longer than i needed,  deliberately.   i will roll those fabrics under as i stitch down the last long sides of the top and bottom. this will give the appearance that they  are stuffed and give a little dimension to the basket.

as soon as i have the new centers on i will post it.  it is looking pretty good, now.

i am editing this post as i continue stitching the block.  you can see that applique is a work in progress, and sometimes what you plan is not what you end up doing.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,728
Points 364,662
Kris replied on Wed, Feb 8 2012 1:45 AM

Thanks for the tips Gini.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Thu, Feb 9 2012 12:37 AM

i like these flower centers much better,   this is it, the last one, they are all finished

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,728
Points 364,662
Kris replied on Thu, Feb 9 2012 1:14 AM

I love it Gini. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022

Gini, its beautiful

[Ava, Missouri

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 12Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use