This post has 83 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,181
Points 111,490
Linny t replied on Tue, Feb 28 2012 2:39 PM
gini:
an easy recipe for a hand scrub

Yup, it's just olive oil with ganulated sugar in it.  Larger granuals works best, like the brown cane unrefined stuff, but you could use regular sugar.   Salt will work, too.  Some people don't even have sugar in their houses any more with all the sweeteners available.  You can store it in the fridge for forever just about, so I make up some in a tupperware bowl and just dip my fingers in it, scrub my hands and then rince it off with warm water before I sew.  My hands are dry enough were I don't have to wash off the oil.  It soaks right in.  It's particularly nice in the summer...a cool treat.  The measurement is somewhere around a 1/4 cup of oil and a tablespoon of sugar/salt, but I just pour and dump until I'm happy, lol.  Definately not rocket science. 

Something else that works for those who don't like "mix in the kitchen" stuff is Satin Hands by Mary Kay. 

Linny T

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,406
Points 415,664
gini replied on Tue, Feb 28 2012 5:17 PM

Linny, thanks so much for posting this. 

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,181
Points 111,490
Linny t replied on Tue, Feb 28 2012 5:22 PM

You are welcome, Gini.  It's my pleasure.

Linny T

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,750
Points 364,907
Kris replied on Tue, Feb 28 2012 8:17 PM

Linny t:
  Yup, it's just olive oil with ganulated sugar in it.  Larger granuals works best, like the brown cane unrefined stuff, but you could use regular sugar.   Salt will work, too.

I use jojoba oil for my scrub. I use it on my legs but I still have to use a moisturiser afterwards. My skin dries out within half hour of applying lotion or creams.

I tried a coarse salt once and it really scratched my skin. Lesson learned.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,181
Points 111,490
Linny t replied on Tue, Feb 28 2012 8:48 PM

Kris, I personally like sugar better.  It's really just for the abraisive to knock off dead skin and make the oil penetrate better.  Salt can really sting if you have any cuts or nicks.  In fact you can really find every one of them after using salt, lol.  One time a hairdresser scrubbed my scalp with salt before doing a color treatment and my scalp was irritated for days.  I'll have to try jojoba oil.  Does it work better than Olive oil?  Olive oil is just easy because it's in the kitchen, usually.  I have really dry skin, too.  Nothing really can quench its thirst these days.  If I lived in a cold climate I'd probably dry up and blow away.  Ah, the joys of aging.  If I'd have known then what I know now I would have used sun screen...SPF 50 instead of iodine and baby oil!  I think I just dated myself fairly well, lol.  I would suppose jojoba oil would be found at the health food store.  Where do you get yours?

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Feb 28 2012 11:11 PM

Linny

I remember using iodine and baby oil....LOL>   Made for a great tan,

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,750
Points 364,907
Kris replied on Tue, Feb 28 2012 11:50 PM

Linny t:
I'll have to try jojoba oil.  Does it work better than Olive oil?  Olive oil is just easy because it's in the kitchen, usually. 

Linny,

I don't know if it's better but jojoba is very similar to sebum so it absorbs well into the skin. I like to use it in my hair as well. I buy it from The Vitamin Shoppe.

I have a really hard time staying moisturised as well. Maine weather certainly doesn't help.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Wed, Feb 29 2012 8:19 AM

Linny,

Thanks for the tip, Definitely going to try it next time I hit the sewing machine

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,181
Points 111,490
Linny t replied on Wed, Feb 29 2012 11:45 AM

For me it made for way too many great tans.  Of course it didn't help that I moved to Florida when I was 14.  Man, I really baked myself on the beach every chance I got.  That's where the young folk hung out back then.  It's easy to forget you are getting sunburnt when you are at the beach.  I have damaged skin and a ton of great memories to show/tell for it, lol.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,181
Points 111,490
Linny t replied on Wed, Feb 29 2012 11:46 AM

You're welcome, Annie. 

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,181
Points 111,490
Linny t replied on Wed, Feb 29 2012 11:49 AM

Thanks, Kris.  I'm going to get some jojoba oil next time I'm out and about.  Someone once told me a tip was to put oil on all the dry parts right after you get out of the shower, while you're skin is still moist.  I used to do it all the time, but haven't lately.  I will try this regime again when I get the jojoba.  A little pampering can't be a bad thing.

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Feb 29 2012 12:05 PM

Linny

I use to keep a spray bottle with baby oil in it in my shower.  Before I would dry off I sprayed all over lightly with the baby oil and rubbed it on.  Then dryed the water off.  It really does make a big difference with dry skin.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,750
Points 364,907
Kris replied on Wed, Feb 29 2012 6:49 PM

Nana,

I do the baby oil in the shower but less than half hour later I'm dry as a bone and I get really itchy. I have so many lotions and moisturisers in the bathroom it looks like a shop.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 473
Points 11,360

Try living here in Wyoming. Not only is there no moisture but it is cold and windy, windy, windy.

Kathie

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Thu, Mar 1 2012 8:02 AM

Hi Kathie-I live in Fort Collins, CO. Just 45 minutes south of the Wyoming border. I completely agree with the low humidity and windy, windy, WINDY!  We had such strong winds last week that it blew down a lot of the fences in our hood. I'm SICK of the wind!  lol

northern colorado

Page 4 of 6 (84 items) «Prev23456Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use