Spring project

rated by 0 users
This post has 83 Replies | 11 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 15
Points 195
Geralyn Posted: Sun, Jan 15 2012 1:58 PM

Hello everyone I'm excited as I ordered the project that Gini said would be the next ones.i can't wait to see it and look at what materials I have to use on it.

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,064
gini replied on Sun, Jan 15 2012 3:28 PM

it's applique, you really just need a background and then use up your scraps on the flowers

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 15
Points 195
Geralyn replied on Sat, Jan 28 2012 6:09 AM

Gini,

How would you go about it to make the pieces a little larger? When I was looking at the project the pieces are pretty small, or would it be easiery to do that way?

Thanks Geralyn

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,064
gini replied on Sat, Jan 28 2012 11:41 AM

geralyn,  i have a copy machine.  i stick them in there and enlarge until i'm happy with the size

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,228
Points 112,250
Linny t replied on Sat, Jan 28 2012 5:41 PM

Kris inspired me with batiks in her BA blocks.  I have decided this is a perfect project to use them.  I got the pattern and the blocks are small, but I'm going to use them as they are.  It'll make a nice wallhanging.

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,517
Points 47,270

I have to agree that the batiks look really good in Kris' blocks. I am a newbie to appliqué so I don't know what I am going to do. I did get the pattern and some of the flowers have some really tiny pieces. I ordered some precut hearts to practice on so will make my decisions as to size and fabrics after I get some practice done.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Feb 12 2012 10:35 PM

Gini, are you still planning to help a group get started on the wildflower project at the VB retreat?  If so, should we be doing anything in preparation?  I have my background fabric and I bought some charm packs in a variety of solid and near solid colors.  Do I need to do any photocopying from the pattern?   (I suppose I could read through the pattern and find out some of this for myself...)

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,064
gini replied on Sun, Feb 12 2012 10:46 PM

MNnancy:

Gini, are you still planning to help a group get started on the wildflower project at the VB retreat?  If so, should we be doing anything in preparation?  I have my background fabric and I bought some charm packs in a variety of solid and near solid colors.  Do I need to do any photocopying from the pattern?   (I suppose I could read through the pattern and find out some of this for myself...)

yes.   i draw directly from the pattern, unless i am traveling and don't want to lose the pattern or get it crumpled. have you decided if you are going to enlarge the patterns yet?   once you decide what size you want your block to be.  you need to cut the background blocks 1 inch larger than the finished size.  i will come prepared to show you a  couple of different techniques.   you can have the backgrounds cut before you get there or cut them at retreat,  it doesn't take long.  bring your charm packs  and we will prepare the appliques there.  let me look through the blocks and pick out the easier ones to start with.    blaah blah blah, i'm rambling.   all you need is your fabric and pattern.   let me bring copies, i've already slashed my pattern into pieces.   i will bring tracing paper, as well as a few marking pencils to show you.  

we will talk about fabric selection as well as learning to applique.    i can't bring a lot, but i will cut little pieces to show how i pick petals.  

i better start a list. 

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Mon, Feb 13 2012 8:22 AM

Hello,

What is the VB retreat?

northern colorado

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,064
gini replied on Mon, Feb 13 2012 12:42 PM

hi lillie,  it is a quilting retreat at virginia beach in april.  there's room for a couple more if you would like to join us.   i'm going to help out with some applique lessons.

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 39
Points 460

So for the rest of us who can not attend the retreat, is there going to be any help for us?

I am new to this and will need advice, I am sure.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Mon, Feb 13 2012 3:38 PM

We'll be receiving helpful online hints and tips from Gini and from everyone else who is involved with this project.   8-)

northern colorado

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,721
Points 436,920
Nana replied on Mon, Feb 13 2012 3:51 PM

I really want to do this but I have so many projects in the works that I shudder to think of adding another.    HELP

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,064
gini replied on Mon, Feb 13 2012 4:05 PM

I'm sorry nana, there is no help.   These are small blocks, we'll probably be doing 2 to 4 a month.  There's 25 blocks in all.  You don't have to make all of them.

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Mon, Feb 13 2012 5:43 PM

I say Do IT! You can sew a little at a time while your in front of the TV, riding in the car, or waiting at the docs office. I also have a bazilion projects in the works. What's one more! is my motto.   lol

northern colorado

Page 1 of 6 (84 items) 12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use