Learn to applique

rated by 0 users
This post has 34 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Points 2,430

Gini,

Your Snowball Express is my inspiration to learn.  Would you be willing to share your pattern or let me know where I might purchase it?

Kathy

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,964
gini replied on Sat, Dec 10 2011 12:00 PM

kathy,  that was a pattern i just sketched out.   i used the sketch for the pattern and tossed it out.      i can redraw it and send it to you.    bunny hill designs has a pattern set, snowbound that is similar and very cute   the quilt is in my blog.    i'll go find it for you

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,964
gini replied on Sat, Dec 10 2011 12:02 PM

marilyn also completed one.  if you go back several pages in the media section here, you will find it.    you will also see the individual blocks posted in media. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,964
gini replied on Sat, Dec 10 2011 12:03 PM

do you know that if you click on a picture here,  it will enlarge it?

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sat, Dec 10 2011 12:17 PM

I downloaded all the PDF files, from the web, for the snowbound quilt. It took a little bit of digging to find all of them. I found them for free on the web, so I don't see a problem with sharing them. I am ready to quilt mine and put on the binding. Then I'll upload an image of my finished wall hanging.

Please let me know if you'd like me to send you the PDF files or if I should upload them. If I upload the PDF files, where should I put them?

northern colorado

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,964
gini replied on Sat, Dec 10 2011 7:21 PM

Lillie:

Please let me know if you'd like me to send you the PDF files or if I should upload them. If I upload the PDF files, where should I put them?

lillie, these have been removed by anne sutton of  bunny hill, the designer, from the free area.   she keeps some designs free for one year, then it  is for sale.   it is ok to send these privately to a friend, but they should not be made available, generally.   this is how anne sutton makes her living.selling designs.   i think it is very generous of her to allow folks to download it for free for a year.  

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Points 2,430

Gini you are absolutely awesome!  I don't want you to go to the trouble of redrawing the pattern.  If you don't mind, I would like to copy your idea and I think I can draw it out from your photo (I have it saved as a favorite.)    And the adorable quilt you posted here gives me some good ideas too.  You so kindly took the time to write out some directions to applique a heart and I will do that before I tackle this.

Thanks so much!

Kathy

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,964
gini replied on Sat, Dec 10 2011 10:32 PM

kathy,   you're more than welcome to copy my snowmen.    they are pretty easy.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,964
gini replied on Sat, Dec 10 2011 10:38 PM

lillie, i have pretty basic computer skills,   i don't know what a pdf file is or how to upload one, i've heard of them and vaguely know that's how things come in to my computer,  i wouldn't have a clue how to put one someplace.  i can get pictures on here, i suppose they are in pdf files?   on the odd days i can catch my daughter still for more than a minute, i get her to do that stuff for me.   if kris sees this message, she can help you.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,819
Points 352,387
Kris replied on Sat, Dec 10 2011 11:03 PM

Gini,

PDF (Portable Document Format) is a file format created by Adobe. PDFs can be used on just about any computer and, if you have a pattern, this is probably the best format as it is easy to retain the correct size.

You can create one by drawing you picture in Adobe acrobat or photoshop or you can convert a file from another program. The file can be attached to your post or in your blog.

Photos are usually jpg, tiff or bmp (there are others but these are most popular).

Hope I didn't get to geeky here.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sun, Dec 11 2011 6:36 AM

OK thanks Gini. I was not aware of the one year freebie. Most people/businesses forget to remove items from the web and it stays out there forever. Thanks for setting me straight. 8-)

northern colorado

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,964
gini replied on Sun, Dec 11 2011 10:56 AM

Kris:

Hope I didn't get to geeky here.

i think i am too ungeeky.    i don't even know if i have adove or photoshop.   i get wendy to take care of that stuff.    i use it so unfrequently, that by the time i need to use it again, i forget what to do.

i can draw a picure on the computer and save it, i know that is possible.   wouldn't it be easier to scan it and send it somewhere?

and leads to my next problem,   i can never find the stuff i've saved,  sometimes i stumble on it haphazzardly.    if i can't get something in favorites,  it doesn't get saved.  

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,964
gini replied on Sun, Dec 11 2011 10:57 AM

lillie, you probably didn't get the bunny hill design from the bunny hill site.  she removed snowbound last winter, from the free spot.

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sun, Dec 11 2011 1:04 PM

I just googled for snowbound quilt pattern and was able to find all 12 of the Bunny Hill blocks plus the instructions. All were in a PDF format. Something like "snowbound quilt block one" etc. I did try to find them on the Bunny Hill site, but they were long gone by the time I started looking

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sun, Dec 11 2011 1:18 PM

Kris-

I had to chuckle at your post. I can remember way back in the day when I was learning about computers. I think it was 1981. When I think back on the programs I used to use I really have to laugh. They were so clunky. I don't think I could use one of those old programs if I had too. I've been using Adobe Illustrator since they first came out with the program. It was Illustrator 88. Yikes!

Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Photoshop are computer programs. You can get them for MAC and PC platforms. I've also been using both of them since they were first released. I think Photoshop is way more than you'll ever use and not really worth the $$ for you.

How do you draw your pictures? Is there an icon on your desktop (what you see when you turn on your computer) or drop down menu (in your favorites) that lists your program? I know there are some free drawing programs on the web and, as far as I know, they do not have to be downloaded to your computer.

You probably already have Adobe Acrobat Reader on your computer. That is the program you would use to open the PDF files. All you can do in Reader is open the files, save them as a different name, print them, upload as an attachment, or send them in an email. Which is perfect because all you want is print the pattern on a piece of paper so you can cut out your fabric!

Hope that helps. Probably TMI.

Lillie

northern colorado

Page 2 of 3 (35 items) Prev123Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use