Applique In 'Dear Jane'

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 378
Points 9,389
Andrea Posted: Fri, Oct 23 2009 4:27 AM

Hi ladies (and gents?...)

I wanted to put out some feelers amongst you to see if there was an interest in starting a group to work on the Jane Stickle Quilt?  (Starting in January)  Many of the blocks are done in applique--so I thought that I would start my info quest here with our group before going to the general Forum.  I am not sure what it takes to start a group, or how it would be organized as far as choosing the blocks that could be worked on each week....but I wondered if any of you would be interested...or if any of you are currently working on a Dear Jane project.  Just looking for some feedback before I approach Admin with a group request....

Thanks,  Andrea

• Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Mon, Oct 26 2009 12:47 AM

Althea

How detailed is the applique? Can it be done by machine?   I have only done 2 modest appliques and would like to learn more and get better. Do you think this is a project a person new to this technique could do?

Nana

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 785
Jan replied on Mon, Oct 26 2009 6:14 AM

Hello Andrea and Nana,

I have to admit that I did not know what a "Dear Jane" quilt was until I researched it online. I am interested in smaller applique quilts so I am not sure if this would disqualify me or not.

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Oct 27 2009 9:03 AM

Nana:

Althea

How detailed is the applique? Can it be done by machine?   I have only done 2 modest appliques and would like to learn more and get better. Do you think this is a project a person new to this technique could do?

Nana

Andrea...so sorry. It is sad that I look at your post and think Althea....It must have been one of my BSC moments.

Nana

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,369
Points 242,502
Thea replied on Wed, Oct 28 2009 6:16 PM

Peony:

Hello Andrea and Nana,

I have to admit that I did not know what a "Dear Jane" quilt was until I researched it online. I am interested in smaller applique quilts so I am not sure if this would disqualify me or not.

l

Peony - most of the quilt can be machine pieced - there are some blocks that it would be easier to do by hand just because of the seams themselves -

I think you would like it - it is a ton of small blocks so you would be only working on one block at a time and learning a ton. 

There are some applique blocks - but again - only one at a time and should not be a problem.

I figure this is a project that will take the better part of a year to do - if you want to make the Dear Jane quilt - i think it will be fun if we do 1 block a week - that gives you plenty of time to do other projects and really get this one little block done perfectly - no pressure... is some get really thrilled with doing it and want to go faster i see no problem with that.

I am looking forward to our new group starting and starting to talk about each block and doing it with someone else.  I have wanted to do this quilt for years - but it is a daunting project - but if I have some others motivating me that will keep me going... and I won't be rushing believe me!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,369
Points 242,502
Thea replied on Wed, Oct 28 2009 6:28 PM

andrea - you know now that I got my book out and have the software I want to start - lol - we all have to get together and decide once everyone has there stuff where we want to start - do we want to start with A and work our way through...??? 

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 15
Points 135

Hi Andrea

I had to look up what a Dear Jane quilt is. I would like to join your group when you start on it. Will you be choosing the blocks? I just joined the group today so I'm still not sure how this all works.

Debera 

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 378
Points 9,389
Andrea replied on Thu, Oct 29 2009 10:45 PM

Hello ladies,

I am so glad to see the interest in the applique from the Dear Jane project.  I learned a LOT about applique from Brenda who wrote the book, and composed the lessons from the software.  Several types of applique are taught in this project.  Reverse applique, freezer paper technique, as well as needle turn applique.  This quilt is for anyone who is interested in learning new techniques and refining skills that you may already have.  The blocks are machine or hand pieced, some are foundation pieced, there are applique blocks and you don't have to complete the entire quilt if you don't want to.  The software has layout options for many smaller quilts, and if you only want to learn or work on a few blocks or techniques, that is up to you.  This quilt is for Everyone!  I wonder if Jane Stickle knew what an impact her quilt would have on so many quilters in the future when she was busy stitching by candlelight???  And she stitched this masterpiece 'in time of war'--probably something to occupy her mind from the troubling times that she was living in.  (Can anyone relate?)  I tend to jump from project to project probably for that same reason, and the beauty of that is that these little blocks are individual projects unto themselves, as well as being part of the bigger whole.  I think that is why I like this quilt so much is for the variety that it offers me.  I don't get bored doing the same thing over and over.     Come on now ladies....you know that you want to join us!  Watch for future information on the forming of the Dear Jane Group.  We are hoping to launch in January with the start of a new year, and that gives all who are interested, a chance to get the books, or software, or tools on your Christmas WISH LIST so that you will have what you need to get started.  Softexpressions.com offers a good financial deal on these items, so check it out, and don't be afraid.....they are just little ol' 5 inch blocks. 

Aloha,  Andrea

Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 785
Jan replied on Fri, Oct 30 2009 2:13 AM

Hello Andrea,

You have talked me into it with you great description. Since I like small projects, this may turn out to be the most fun of all doing one at a time. I am ready to join! Where do I sign up?

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 378
Points 9,389
Andrea replied on Fri, Oct 30 2009 7:21 AM

I think that I understand that QCA Liz is going to set up the group, and from there all interested parties can join.  We should discuss how we want to choose which blocks to work on first.  Brenda (the book author) teaches 12 lessons, and for each lesson, there are several blocks that are made with that technique.  I think that we should tackle the basics first, and then we can start building from there.  The software has a chart grouping the blocks by degree of difficulty.  While we are all getting our feet wet, we may want to proceed with the simpler blocks first and move up from there. The 'powers that be' haven't had a chance to talk about how to proceed, so we need to be patient.  As always, if you have the software, and choose to work on blocks or triangles at your own pace, that should be fine too.  I just think that it would be good to open a new thread each week with the chosen blocks listed so that we can keep the conversation and photos together for that weeks work.  This is still in the brainstorming stage, and I am sure that we will have an opportunity to express our interest in how this GREAT big ol' task should be tackled!  There are blocks in the center of the quilt, and the border is beautiful triangles done in the variety of sewing techniques.  We have plenty of time, and it may take getting the books/software (for those who are interested in the computer aid) in hand so that we can all look it over to see what we think about how we should proceed.   More info will be coming, but this idea is still in it's infancy.  We were just putting out some feelers to see if there was even an interest in forming a groupl.  It looks like the answer to that question is a resounding "YES!"  So---talk it over with your friends and see who might be interested in stitching with us.  QCA Liz and Althea are working out the details, so lets all be patient!  (and get those books and tools on your "Christmas Wish List" so that you can be ready to start work come the new year.  Thanks to all for sharing your enthusiasm!  Much Aloha,  Andrea

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,183
Points 111,515
Linny t replied on Fri, Oct 30 2009 10:23 AM

Well, you talked me into it, Andrea,  I'm in.  I bought the Dear Jane software somewhere along a year ago with the intent of making every one of those tiny blocks.  Guess how many I made...yup, zero.  I did collect fabrics, though.  My initial idea was to do a study in blues.  It will be fun to do it as a group and it will motivate me, too.

Thanks,

Linnyt

Linny T

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 315
Points 7,375
Georgia replied on Fri, Oct 30 2009 8:03 PM

Andrea:

I wanted to put out some feelers amongst you to see if there was an interest in starting a group to work on the Jane Stickle Quilt?  (Starting in January)  Many of the blocks are done in applique--so I thought that I would start my info quest here with our group before going to the general Forum.  I am not sure what it takes to start a group, or how it would be organized as far as choosing the blocks that could be worked on each week....but I wondered if any of you would be interested...or if any of you are currently working on a Dear Jane project.  Just looking for some feedback before I approach Admin with a group request....

Thanks,  Andrea

Andrea -- I have been working on my Dear Jane for almost 3 years now.  I am doing it completely by hand and it is a true labor of love.  I also purchased the EQ software for Dear Jane and I have used it to create templates and such.  I've learned a lot on the project but when I first started it was quite overwhelming. 

I started out by breaking it down into groups of blocks and decided that I was going to complete 10 blocks a month.  Obviously I didn't actually stick to that schedule but it's coming along.  The software will tell you which blocks are easy, intermediate, etc.  and I started with the simple ones.  I think this was a great way to start because I was able to hone my handstitching skills along the way.  I'm told that a Dear Jane by machine is possible, but I haven't tried any machine stitched blocks.  The software lets you print foundation piecing patterns though.

What I have done is write out patterns and instructions for all of the blocks.  I purchased Brenda Papadakis' book but her diagrams didn't help much in the quilt construction.  I have considered approaching a publisher about printing an actual pattern book because I certainly haven't seen one out there anywhere.  I just don't know if there are copyright issues.

If you start a DJ group, I would certainly be happy to join it and work along with everyone!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 315
Points 7,375
Georgia replied on Sat, Oct 31 2009 1:29 PM

Andrea:

Thanks,  Andrea

Andrea -- I got to thinking about a Dear Jane group.  People may take one look at this project and run screaming into the night.  It is a large undertaking but there is an alternative.  Many people pick and choose several blocks that they like and then create a smaller quilt or intersperse the blocks with plain blocks to create a quilt.  Dear Janers call these Baby Janes.  So if anyone out there has any interest at all, don't let the size of the project scare you away.  There are alternatives.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,369
Points 242,502
Thea replied on Sun, Nov 1 2009 11:44 AM

Georgia - would you please join our Dear Jane group - the group is up now and we plan on starting the quilt in January - I think your assistance and guidance would be fantastic and maybe we can help to spur you along with your patterns and in helping motivate you to complete your Dear Jane quilt...

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 378
Points 9,389
Andrea replied on Thu, Nov 19 2009 9:14 PM

Hi Debera,

I was jsut reading back through the posts, and I see that you had expressed an interest in this project, but I have not seen you over on the DearJane Group site.  It's official--we have a group, come join us!  We will be taking suggestions for a vote on Dec. 16th on how to proceed, and we will begin our project officially on Jan 1st.  Lots of excited chatter over there......books and fabric and rulers....oh my!  Come on by!   Aloha!  Andrea

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use