GENERAL DISCUSSION

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,366 Replies | 50 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,894
Points 69,195
Bonita replied on Sun, Jul 20 2014 6:28 PM

Thanks, Gini, looking forward to seeing what they are.

• Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 940
Points 15,925

Can't wait to see it Janet. This was a doozy for me only because it was a kit & the directions were a mess & there wasn't the correct amounts of material. 

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,537
Points 416,944
gini replied on Mon, Jul 28 2014 11:17 PM

I decided to play hooky at the last minute, so we are doing another bye this month on garden party.  I am spending the last week of July playing with Elza instead of quilting.   It looks like everyone is busy with summer and this won't be a hardship on anyone.  I hope everyone's summer is going well

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,031
Points 368,952
Kris replied on Tue, Jul 29 2014 11:34 PM

I'm OK with it Gini. I'm trying to finish up LUS and it's taking all my free time. I'll get back to GP when I get it done.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 935
Points 17,435

I'm taking a needle turn class (last Friday & tomorrow) at one of the LQS in San Antonio & am loving it. I've always wanted to learn needle turn so I was fortunate to see this one listed in one of the newsletters.   Last Friday we learned the basics for tracing & cutting the fabric & fabric placement.  Tomorrow she's showing us how to do a special technique to make flowers. The instructor is excellent & there are only 4 of us in the class so we get a lot of individual attention.  We are making a table runner so I hope to finish it up this weekend so I'll post a picture once it's done.  

Hard to believe we're already in August!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 82
Points 1,285
MaryC replied on Tue, Sep 30 2014 5:39 AM

I'm really *new* to learning applique techniques, so, I've been 'experimenting' with different things I've been reading about.  I've run into a couple of things that I'm 'wondering' about...  I'm not happy with the 'bulk' that gets generated at points of pieces... how do you handle/avoid this?  do you trim closer on points before stitching?  do you cut out the backing after stitching?  

the blocks I've been practicing with are the 4" Dear Jane blocks - so, pieces aren't very big.  The thing is... I've always liked to do things that I learn in *miniature* so they are in scale to the dolls I collect and sew for...small dolls (10-14" size).   I am 'worried' that applique techniques might not be easily/neatly accomplished in small scale, tho.  

I got carried away with myself, this week, and sewed a piece of freezer paper inside a piece.  I ripped a few stitches out to remove it and put it back together... then, I did the same thing with a second one!  geesh.  so, I took the freezer paper from the inside and put it on the outside.   Later, someone told me, I *could* have just cut the fabric away from the back after 'accidently sewing it inside.  duh.  sigh.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has learned 'the hard way'.  but, I'm still wondering if applique can be done in 'miniature'...?  I'd like to see pictures of some, if you know of any.  Thanks.

Here's my latest 'experiment'....

• Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 234
Points 4,340

Yes Mary, you can do miniature. These are 6" blocks so you can see that some of the pieces are pretty small. It just takes practice and taking your time to work them in. If we lived close I could show you how I do it, but it might be good to see if there is an applique class near to you that you can attend, or look for some tutorials on Youtube. I have seen some that have helped me a lot. I think you're doing great!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,031
Points 368,952
Kris replied on Tue, Sep 30 2014 8:28 PM

Mary I don't cut the back out from behind my appliqué. The seam allowance for your pieces is mainly dictated by the size of the shape and the type of fabric. I wouldn't trim too much away from the point before sewing it. You don't want it to come loose due to fraying. How abour appliqueing to just past the point then trimming the excess carefully.

I appliqué with the freezer paper on top so I don't have to worry about sewing it inside. I turn under my seam allowance to line up with the edge of the paper.

Your block looks great and the points don't appear bulky. You're doing much better than you think.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,031
Points 368,952
Kris replied on Tue, Sep 30 2014 8:29 PM

Janet I love your Wildflowers. I never started mine. 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 234
Points 4,340

Thank you Kris, I am trying to get this one done before the group starts another one next year. I love these blocks!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 208
Points 3,845

Mary, I think your points look great and so does your block!  But I do understand what you mean - I am having the exact same issue on the exact same block.  The diamonds are so small that I can't seem to get enough bulk out of the tips to satisfy me.  Someone referred me to this website for needleturn applique lessons, which have really helped me a great deal, and I think my points are much better because of it.  I'm a newbie, and I found these especially helpful.  This is the webpage for outer points.  I find them easier on a leaf than a diamond, but still the principals apply.  Anyway, you may find it useful.  ; )

http://www.pieceocake.com/Lessons/09-OuterPoints.html

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 82
Points 1,285
MaryC replied on Wed, Oct 1 2014 9:43 PM

Thank you for sharing that link!  I just finished watching it...and am heading to the kitchen to get a toothpick!  :-)   Wish me luck - the block I'm working on right now is FULL of points... and I've been 'experimenting' again... but, definitely doing it 'wrong' from what she describes!    Let me see if that works... ;-)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 82
Points 1,285
MaryC replied on Wed, Oct 1 2014 10:28 PM

Well...I think I'll 'adopt' this toothpick turning method she shows...that did seem to help me get more of the bulk from the point.  Wish I had learned it before the last 2 pieces that I put on... but... it's done - I'll just keep practicing with these methods... I'm sure it'll get better - I think it's just the small size that's going to be tricky...

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 208
Points 3,845

I am glad it was helpful for you Mary!  I have found it to be my favorite method of all that I have tried so far.  And mostly I think I just need practice, and to stop being so scrutinizing and picky!  I think your block looks great!  We are always too critical of ourselves.  At least I know I am.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 82
Points 1,285
MaryC replied on Thu, Oct 2 2014 7:06 PM

I'm also my 'worst critic' - only because i don't have anyone else around to really *look* at it objectively.  LOL!!  but - that self criticism is what keeps me trying to do things better.  It's a blessing and a curse.  ;-)

Page 88 of 92 (1367 items) «Prev8687888990Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use