GENERAL DISCUSSION

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,334 Replies | 51 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 112
Points 1,975

Hey y'all! It's been a while for me on this site and now I'm new to this group. Miss you, such a great community. I just started my first applique project, a wall hanging. Originally I was going to "train"/ learn how to do needle turn. However! My curves kept ending up boxy and it took 100 years to do one tree.  I redid what had been done with my machine and am nearly done after one night. Other than time, are there pros and cons to machine applique? Is it considered fancier if you do needle turn? What do y'all do?

Thanks ahead of time. Hope you are all well,

Beatrice

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 233
Points 4,320

Hi Beatrice! I think it is all a matter of preference. Do what you like! I love needleturn because it is relaxing to me, but if it makes you crazy that takes all the fun out of it. Post pictures!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,458
Points 416,719
gini replied on Fri, Nov 15 2013 5:23 PM

Hi Beatrice.    Whatever floats your boat, is ok with me.   There are appliqué snobs that think that hand appliqué is the pinnacle.   I don' t do quilt police.     

So let's talk about the various methods of appliqué.    And by the way,   You can have bad hand appliqué.

The goal is to have an appliquéd piece that is going to last, that the appliquéd pieces will stay attached through the life of the quilt.

hand appliquéd if well done has nearly invisible stitches, desirable if you only want the appliqué to show.  Then there is hand appliqué done with a buttonhole stitch, where the stitch becomes part of the design.

there are several methods of machine appliqué.  The method you choose depends on the effect you are trying to achieve.    The easiest is raw edge appliqué .  You cut the shape out and use a straight stitch around the edges to hold it.  You will see this on a lot of art quilts, which don't need to be laundered.   If a quilt is going to go through the washing machine in a normal quilt life.  These don't hold up so well.    Then you can do a buttonhole stitch, or a satin stitch on the raw edge.   A satin stitch done well  looks wonderful with appliqué and lasts a long time. 

Machine appliqué with a turned under edge.   There are several ways to do this.  Freezer paper method, glue method.... I've tried the freezer paper method several times, I hate it, the process,

but it's fairly quick  I use transparent thread and a buttonhole stitch. Looks great.    

That's the quick scoop.

You need to find the method that you are comfortable and that works for you.

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,458
Points 416,719
gini replied on Fri, Nov 15 2013 5:28 PM

Ther are other methods I haven't listed, these are the most common.  

I looked at all the hand methods of appliqué, tried a lot of them,but I always come back to needle turn.  It is the method with the least amount of steps.

when I figured that out,  I cut out hundreds of hearts and appliquéd them to 4 inch squares,  by the time I had enough for a quilt, I was pretty proficient at needleturn, and I love how relaxing it is to sit and appliqué in the evenings.  I have friends whose hair curls and eyes cross at the mere mention of needleturn.   

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,458
Points 416,719
gini replied on Sat, Nov 16 2013 8:01 AM

We've found a fun site that has a live chat.  It's called snickerdoodle dreams.  It takes a day to get approved, but it is a lot of fun

i will be running the next appliqué class simultaneously over there.    When QCA is down, you will be able to get the info you need there, too.

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 112
Points 1,975

Thank you ladies so much for all of this info! Looks like I have a buncha homework to do.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 129
Points 1,140
Liz replied on Sat, Dec 7 2013 3:57 PM

what was I thinking, has anyone received their Garden Party pattern book?   Wow!!!

Will there be a thread for this project and where will I find it?

Thank you!

Liz

South of Boston, MA

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 115
raelene replied on Sat, Dec 7 2013 5:35 PM

hi,can one get the garden party book  in australia sounds like fun regards rae

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,458
Points 416,719
gini replied on Sat, Dec 7 2013 11:48 PM

Liz, I haven't opened the thread yet.  We will be starting this quilt in january

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,458
Points 416,719
gini replied on Sat, Dec 7 2013 11:49 PM

Hi raelene have you tried amazon, or checked to see if your local quilt shops carry buggy barn patterns?

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 129
Points 1,140
Liz replied on Mon, Dec 9 2013 11:44 AM

Thank you Gini!  Will I find it under Discussions tab in applique?

Liz

South of Boston, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,458
Points 416,719
gini replied on Mon, Dec 9 2013 12:29 PM

I'll start a new thread

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,245
Points 25,195
Elizabeth replied on Thu, Dec 12 2013 4:06 PM

.  Got my appliqué quilt done, pinning and then will hand quilt.  I inherited this from my sister decease MIL.  OnrE panel was done..  The pattern was from Quilters Magizine but I do not know the date, it says the name can be either Love apples or Pomergranate.

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,948
Points 368,262
Kris replied on Thu, Dec 12 2013 9:11 PM

Congrats on getting it together Elizabeth. Looking forward to seeing it quilted.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,458
Points 416,719
gini replied on Fri, Dec 13 2013 10:54 PM

Beautiful, elizabeth

gini in north idaho

Page 82 of 89 (1335 items) «Prev8081828384Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use