GENERAL DISCUSSION

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,301 Replies | 48 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,301
Points 414,054
gini replied on Thu, Sep 26 2013 9:35 AM

I baste the piece and removing the basting threads as I go along.  With a really big piece, I will iron to the background and take advantage of it clinging to the background before I baste,

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,301
Points 414,054
gini replied on Thu, Sep 26 2013 9:36 AM

Patterns, I can' find them.Elaine, you need to ask frances about those 

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,023
Points 12,975

gini:

I baste the piece and removing the basting threads as I go along.  With a really big piece, I will iron to the background and take advantage of it clinging to the background before I baste,

Isn't that back basting method?

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 47,700
Frances replied on Thu, Sep 26 2013 1:57 PM

Gini,

I had replied to Elaine first thing this morning (my time) and it said post pending moderation does that mean its lost forever or will they post it before my next birthday i thought they would just wait 10 mins and then post it, shame the spam never seems to get post pending moderation.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,301
Points 414,054
gini replied on Thu, Sep 26 2013 2:25 PM

Maggie aka Grandma Sunshine:

i don't think so,  it's no different than pinning the pieces to the front.   i baste the applique pieces on the front of the background.  i've looked at a couple of videos.  i can't find a good one that shows back basting,  i 

http://sentimentalstitches.net/instructions/back-basting-tutorial-for-hand-applique/

it looks like a lot more work than needle turn, though it is a form of needle turn.  you baste right on the seam allowance from the back, so you are working in the reverse.   then you trim the applique fabric from the right side now.  and you remove your basting stitches as you sew.   you stitch on the basting line.   i put the already cut shape on the background and baste inside the drawn line, all from the front.   i remove the basting stitches as i go so i can fit the seam allowance underneath. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,301
Points 414,054
gini replied on Thu, Sep 26 2013 2:28 PM

i wish they would get their issues fixed, frances.  it is more than a bit of an inconvenience.  i haven't got the post pending message for months, until i tried last week to put more than one link on a thread, not even in the same post.   it's probably their non-functional spam filter, filtering legitimate posts. 

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,405
Points 361,177
Kris replied on Thu, Sep 26 2013 9:57 PM

Yep, you get the post pending moderation if you have made multiple posts. Problem is the posts are never moderated. 

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 47,700
Frances replied on Thu, Sep 26 2013 10:43 PM

Thank you Gini and Kris,

I will try again and split the post.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 47,700
Frances replied on Thu, Sep 26 2013 10:56 PM

Elaine Phillips:

France's, where did you obtain your Hawaiian twelve days of Christmas pattern? I would love to do that one.

Elaine, ive split this post because i had problems posting it yesterday, so lets try again. There isnt a pattern as such for the hawaiian 12 days of christmas the mynah in a papaya tree has been taken by sylvia pippens block http://www.sylvia-pippen.com/order/patterns/papaya-mynah-bird-pattern/.

I didnt use the whole pattern only bits and ive used 13 1/2 inch blocks which will be cut down to 13 inch.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 47,700
Frances replied on Thu, Sep 26 2013 11:05 PM

Okay Elaine,

The second block is 2 coconuts this came from here http://mobile.free-quilt-patterns.net/applique/CoconutPalm.html and it was a free pattern. As for the rest im still searching for three dried squid and i may end up making my own originally this was going to be one quilt but i think i will end up being two as Bev sent me a book of hawaiian blocks which i think would look good alternated with these blocks.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,023
Points 12,975

gini:

Maggie aka Grandma Sunshine:

i don't think so,  it's no different than pinning the pieces to the front.   i baste the applique pieces on the front of the background.  i've looked at a couple of videos.  i can't find a good one that shows back basting,  i 

http://sentimentalstitches.net/instructions/back-basting-tutorial-for-hand-applique/

it looks like a lot more work than needle turn, though it is a form of needle turn.  you baste right on the seam allowance from the back, so you are working in the reverse.   then you trim the applique fabric from the right side now.  and you remove your basting stitches as you sew.   you stitch on the basting line.   i put the already cut shape on the background and baste inside the drawn line, all from the front.   i remove the basting stitches as i go so i can fit the seam allowance underneath. 

Gini, I saw this video and was hoping there was something a little better. I'm thinking I can modify this method. I will experiment (but not on a current project). LOL

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,470
Points 24,110

Frances:
Okay Elaine,

OK , Frances, what you are telling me is you are making up your own quilt. That is too cool. I tried ordering a couple of patterns from that Sylvia whoever and I couldn't get her website to take my order, or I ordered it 3 times, I'm not sure!! lol. I sent her an email to sort out the problem. But that is neat that you are doing your own thing. Thanks.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,301
Points 414,054
gini replied on Sun, Oct 6 2013 1:21 PM

frances and nana  are going to be green with envy.   i had a few minutes between kids games so i went shopping and this is what i found.

one is even finished

i spent too much money on them,  but they were too darned cute.  $60 for 12 blocks.    the pieces are all basted in place and the outlines of the arms and necks are drawn on.  it shouldn't take too long to finish on the machine. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,301
Points 414,054
gini replied on Sun, Oct 6 2013 1:23 PM

i also got a little bag of spare fabric to make more. 

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 246
Points 3,200

Gini

I love your find.  My grandmother taught my to do blanket stitch applique when I was 9 with this very pattern.  She was making identical quilts for my identical twin sisters at the time.  Fond memories.  What a great find!

Barbara

Barbara

Page 78 of 87 (1302 items) «Prev7677787980Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use