rated by 0 users
This post has 1,366 Replies | 50 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,470
Star replied on Sun, Sep 8 2013 1:48 PM

Hi Ladies,

Yes, I am still alive. I have not really been doing much sewing at all, and when I do I am trying to finish the last baby quilt for my twin grand daughters, they are now seven months old and doing great.

I injured my right wrist last week and am having a lot of pain there, so am really not even motivated to try sewing right now.

My best excuse of all is that I have met a great guy and have been spending all my free time with him. He has a motorcycle and I have a convertible, so we are usually out enjoying the great weather somewhere when not working. Heading to Gatlinburg tomorrow for a few days, in the car, not on the bike. I am still working on Fantasy Flowers block one, which is the second one we did. I am about halfway done with the applique. I think I will take that with me to try for any free time. Although, truthfully, i am enjoying spending time with my guy right now, it's been a long time since I have had such a serious relationship.

I'm glad everyone is doing good and will get back in the groove once my wrist quits hurting so much. I have to use the computer all day at work and the constant keyboard use is about all I can stand right now.

Nice hearing from people, and I do keep up in lurking mode.

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,470
Star replied on Sun, Sep 8 2013 1:53 PM

Did we lose the Fantasy Flowers discussion thread? I was going to catch up on it and can't find it. Probably me...

• Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,041
Points 13,240

Star:

Did we lose the Fantasy Flowers discussion thread? I was going to catch up on it and can't find it. Probably me...

Hey Star!  Nice to hear from you and "happy Dance" for you on the new guy. Whooo Hooo!!!  Motorcycle huh?  Maybe we could meet up half way with our guys and motorcycles on a Saturday.   DH loves to go for long rides.  He's off on Saturdays now so it means we can do some things together. He's been working weekends all summer. 

Discussions: go to the filter sort at the top of the page and change the setting to six months. You will see all the treads in the past six months. 

Gotta love those grand-babies.  I can't believe they are 7 months. But then my 5 yr. old started kindergarten and my 4 yr. old started pre-k. It seems like I was just cooingat them   last week. Hahaha. Te time sure flies. 

Glad to know you are still lurking about. 😉

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,041
Points 13,240

Sheila:

Maggie, I'm at a dead stop (and have been for a while) on my Wildflowers and I don't intend to start another applique project until that one is done. I've got too many other irons in the fire at the moment with a machine embroidery swap, BOM, Christmas gifts, classes, etc. Yikes! And...my baby was in the shop for 2 weeks to replace the internal power supply. Ladies, the DT's of withdrawal are awful! LOL! I don't have a spare machine (other than a serger) and it was heck not being able to do anything except amass more patterns and fabric...hmmm, well, maybe not so awful now that I think about it...

Sheila, i used to go through the same withdrawals when i just had one machine. I don't trade my machines so I now have several backups. It kinda takes a while to get motivated again after your machine has been gone for repairs. I certainly understand about irons in the fire. I have started so many new projects right when I should be concentrating on Christmas and birthdays (we have 7 birthdays between November 13 and December 17).  I am making it easier for myself this year when it comes to Christmas. Everyone is getting the same thing, raggedy flannel Teddybear quilts. LOL I'm doing assembly line sewing. I almost have all the pieces cut for the 16 quilts. The sewing should go quickly but the snipping will take a while. It has been so hot (we don't have AC) that i can't even think about quilting at home much and when I'm in the office I don't seem to get a lot of hand work done on my breaks and lunch. I made great progress (after a slow start each morning) over the weekend. I received a round robin  center and completed the first border, worked on Fantasy Flowers block 3, picked out my fabrics for mystery quilt 9, did 7 loads of laundry, gave all 3 fur babies baths and cooked several freezer meals. And now the week begins again 

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,041
Points 13,240

Jan:

Maggie,

I am working on the wildflowers, Country Cottages and Fantasy Flowers. I prepared the kits for what should have been done through July and took a vacation with them. Got some done. I had heatstroke while on vacation. My daughter spent the better part of the first week home in and out of the emergency room, heat related as well. Once she was fully hydrated all is well. So I have through the 3rd Fantasy Flower appliqued but in need of the embroidery.  Mid August we were working on taking out some bushes and I fell and was out of commission for a week.  Then my thumb started aching, to the end of total immobilization a week ago. While it is doing significantly better, I still am unable to grip. Of course, it is my dominant right hand.  So I am not getting very far. But as soon as I can grip again,  I am sooooo ready to get movin' on.

Jan

Jan, you can't keep a quilter down for long. I hope you and your daughter have now fully recovered from the heatstroke. Dangerous stuff!  My fingers have been giving me a lot of aches lately. Every joint hurts and the doctor finally said I have osteo arthritis.  Some days I don't even feel any aches and other days te Tylenol is. My best friend. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,041
Points 13,240

Hey Frances!  Holiday for three weeks?  You lucky gal. Heehee. Is it a new quilt frame you are assembling?  New sewing room, wow, you are going to be so organized, at least for a while. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,520
Points 48,345
Frances replied on Mon, Sep 9 2013 7:51 AM

Maggie,

A nice thought but i am the most disorganised person you will ever know.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,543
Points 416,999
gini replied on Mon, Sep 9 2013 9:27 AM

Maggie aka Grandma Sunshine:

Hi all.  Boy, Gini takes a sabbatical and the conversation stops. How is everyone doing on their quilts?  I finished fantasy flowers block 2 but it looks too plain. I'm trying to figure out what I want to add with hand embroidery. I have started on block three and making great progress. I did this block a little different than my normal appliqué.  I was in a hurry to get started and put my stuff in a bag to take to work. I had pressed and starched one piece under so I thought I had done them all (I put my pieces in envelopes so I don't lose them - experience). When I pulled out my stuff during break, I realized my mistake. I was too anxious to start so I basted everything down by hand and I am attempting needle turn. So far so good!  But now that I've talked about it I expect things will go downhill. ROTFL

Hope you all are enjoying your appliqué and would love to see the progress or hear about it at least. 

I hope life starts returning to semi-normal soon.    I'll be back home this week, Sam is gone for two weeks or more.  I think I have to drive back to Seattle to pick him up, then he is gone for two more weeks, and I'm off to a retreat.  I need to get my  projects gathered to work on there.  I got my first RR border finished  in the car yesterday. I haven't gotten anything big done or anything finished, but I have been busy.  I have put the tops together for two row quilts, two retreat quilts and I think one other, can't remember that was last week.   I have been working on the borders for the country Baltimore we made here. Somehow, somehow? I got coffee spots all over one border, thank goodness for oxyclean, it came out.   I have almost gotten all the sunflowers and leaves on those, now I need to figure out what other flora and fauna are going on it,  then I will worry about berry sprays.   I am so glad to have them at least halfway done. The sewing room is a disaster and so is the back bedroom.   Those are on the agenda to spiff up whilst sam is away.  And I am back to gramma duties running kids around.  

PI haven't seen much of wil and Anna this summer. Their mom keeps them hopping.   As I was running Down the list of vacations the kids went on this summer, I looked at wil and asked him if he realized how lucky and spoiled he was.  The 10- y- o nodded his head soberly and said, "I've been realizing that for ten years, gramma".  Gotta love 'em. 

So I think I'm taking two over 10- y - o projects to retreatand get them out of my head, off the todo list, and onto the TBQ'd list

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,041
Points 13,240

There's our girl. Sharing her busy schedule and doing multiple projects. Someday I hope to show our group a finished quilt!  HAHAHA 

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,543
Points 416,999
gini replied on Fri, Sep 13 2013 12:58 PM

how is everything going with your applique projects?   things really slow down sewing-wise in the summer, we are all so busy.  i have been working on old projects, trying to clear some stuff out before i begin anything new.   sam is gone for the next 10 days, i hope to get a lot of work done.  we are having a late hot spell, i am looking forward to that ending next week with some rain.  i am awaiting my buddy dexter.   his mom said she would bring him by morningish.  it's rapidly becoming afternoonish, she'd better hurry. 

dang, and i really need to get cracking on that old quilt i'm repairing.  get it done and out of the house. 

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 234
Points 4,340

Just finishing up the Country Cottage Wall hangings. Hoping to get them all posted in the next few days. Then I'll be trying to finish up a bunch of unfinished projects like you and get back to the Fantasy Flowers and the Wildflowers blocks. I need to get another quilt quilted that I entered in our guild quilt show and I have a small Sunbonnet Sue that I'll hand quilt as it gets cooler. I'm really looking forward to next year's project, hoping that everyone else will want to do a Baltimore Album. That tops my list for 2014!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,440
Jacy replied on Fri, Sep 13 2013 1:29 PM

gini:
how is everything going with your applique projects?

well I traced pieces for 3 more cottages, does that count?

And I almost sent my solitary fantasy flowers block  as a round robin center. But I decided I really liked it and still want to work on that project.

So no actual sewing, but not forgotten.

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,900
Points 69,300
Bonita replied on Fri, Sep 13 2013 6:35 PM

I just traced the pattern for block # 5. Oh my all the little pieces. Any helpful tips for this one?

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 937
Points 17,445

Jacy:

well I traced pieces for 3 more cottages, does that count?

Certainly it counts!  I prefer to do all the prep work for the blocks all at the same time and then I have everything ready to sew.  

I'm still trying to decide on the sashing for my Fantasy Flowers.  I'm still auditioning fabrics!   I'm working on some appliqué & embroidery on the quilt for my son.  It's of Parks & Recreation "Ron Swanson",  my son's favorite show & character.  He actually helped me find the pattern online.  You can hardly see the bottom border in the photo The appliqué is bacon pieces & fried eggs & his favorite saying " Give me all the bacon & eggs you have."  This is his birthday (Nov 29th) & Christmas present. He wants to hang it in his "man cave."  It has gone much more quickly than expected.  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,543
Points 416,999
gini replied on Sat, Sep 14 2013 12:41 AM

fun quilt patricia faye,  i love the bacon and eggs

gini in north idaho

Page 74 of 92 (1367 items) «Prev7273747576Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use