rated by 0 users
This post has 1,267 Replies | 47 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Wed, Apr 3 2013 2:55 PM

gini:
she is one of the premier appliquers today, here is her take on applique threads. 

Interesting that in her online store, she sells Superior Masterpiece thread so I wonder if she has changed her mind since the 2010 blog posting.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,813
Points 352,267
Kris replied on Sun, Apr 7 2013 8:17 PM

Bev :
Kris, what did you use on your Winter Redwork project?  I am wanting to try one someday.

DMC. Sorry for the tardy reply.

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,813
Points 352,267
Kris replied on Sun, Apr 7 2013 8:22 PM

MNnancy:
Interesting that in her online store, she sells Superior Masterpiece thread so I wonder if she has changed her mind since the 2010 blog posting.

She sells it. She might not use it. Catering to customers?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,949
gini replied on Sun, Apr 7 2013 10:33 PM

Nancy,   She is selling kits of the superior 50wt. Threads for appliqué.  I don't like the 50wt., but I'll look for it and give it a try.   She also sells the clover black gold needles that I think are some of the worst needles I've ever used, especially the quilting needles.  The slickness wears off the needles after a few stitches and the quilting needles break after a few stitches, I haven ' gotten more than a few inches without them breaking.  So maybe we should take her recommendations with a grain of salt.

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 18
Points 240
Frank replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 10:29 AM

Gini, what needles do you recommend? I have purchased John James and others and read that english manufactured needles are best. I do some English paper piecing along with the embroidery and have so many bent needles people laugh at my pin cushions. do you or anyone know if you can polish them back up to smoothness if they start wearing?  I do have a couple i used for needle point i cannot find the perfect replacements.

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,470
Star replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 2:54 PM

Frank:

Gini, what needles do you recommend? I have purchased John James and others and read that english manufactured needles are best. I do some English paper piecing along with the embroidery and have so many bent needles people laugh at my pin cushions. do you or anyone know if you can polish them back up to smoothness if they start wearing?  I do have a couple i used for needle point i cannot find the perfect replacements.

Hi Frank,

I'm not Gini, but wanted to chime in on my favorite applique needle. I use Piecemakers applique needle size 12. I love them. I have never bent one, and never discarded one. I just lose them because they are so small. I lost the last one I had and tried another brand from my LQS. Ugh! The smallest size I could find was 11 and they are so much bigger. I did not think there would be that much difference between sizes 11 and 12. I went online and ordered four cards of the size 12 applique needles since they are not available where I live now.

I know we all have our favorites, Piecemakers are mine.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 18
Points 240
Frank replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 4:27 PM

thanks appreciate your input. Anyone of course can answer, I just noted she had made comment about needles, Thanks Star.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,949
gini replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 5:42 PM

Frank, for appliqué, I use bohin or p3 size 11 or jeana kimball straw needles in an 11 or 12 .  The eyes are bigger on these.  The p3 and bohin don't Bend, or haven't so far,  and they glide into and through the material more easily than other needles I've tried.  I've also used the needles from Scarlett threads, I don't like them as we'll, but they are good needles.    I don' t like the John James.    They just aren't as smooth going through material.   I only used straw needles for years until I tried the bohin a couple of years ago.  I'm always trying new stuff, so when I ordered a pattern from p3, I got some her needles at the same time.    I can' remember what I just read star recommending, but I haven't tried those.  I will be ordering some to try them out.

I don't have an opinion on embroidery needles, I don't do enough of it to matter.  

The higher quality needles are coated to make them slicker, well,all needles and some pins have special coats on them to make them slicker.   When this wears off, you can feel a drag on the needle when you are sewing.  I toss them when that slickness wears out.  I think most needles have a slick coat, some wears off faster than others.   That's why I like the bohin and p3,  that slickness lasts longer.  

With sharpening, you may get the point to come back briefly, but you will still have the drag.  That's why I don't like the fine sand in the pincushions, it wears that coating off right away.   You also don't want to leave needles and pins in a pincushion with walnut shells for a long period, they corrode and become very grabby.   Maybe I live in a higher humidity area, some people don't experience this issue.

when i am paper piecing, I use an older needle for stitching through the papers, then one of my bohin or p3 appliqué needles for stitching.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,949
gini replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 5:51 PM

I had to go look through my needles, I use piecemaker's for quilting in a 12.  It's what was available.  If I start hand quilting in earnest again, I will do some research on quilting needles, they are just too tiny to thread.    

The thimble lady has a good appliqué needle, but they are way too small, again, hard to thread.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,949
gini replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 5:52 PM

Star, have you used an appliqué needle from piecemaker's?  I'm not sure I've tried one.

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,470
Star replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 6:04 PM

Hi Gini, yes that is all I have used for years. I use a size 11, and yes they can be hard to thread. I tried straw needles a few years ago and did not like them, maybe I should try again.

I like your comments about the pin cushions. I had not used a pin cushion for years, but bought one of the large tomato ones because I got tired of spilling my pins all over the floor over and over. I notice all my nice expensive quilting pins now have a drag. I am going to have to dump the pin cushion with all the pins in it and buy new. I may try cleaning them with an alcohol wipe in case it is just a coating  from the pin cushion causing the drag.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,949
gini replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 6:55 PM

The straw needles bend,  if you haven't tried them, the bohins  and p3 s   Are wonderful

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,019
Points 12,865

My two cents, I only use straw or milliner needles size 11 or 12 for appliqué. I love the fact that they bend and are long. I'm with Star though, I lose them before I have to pitch them. LOL I don't like to work with hand needles that don't go where I want them to. ;-) I haven't hand quilted in years so I'm not sure what I'm going to prefer when I start back up again. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,949
gini replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 8:55 PM

the bohins and p3's are shorter than straw needles,  and  slightly longer than a regular applique needle

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Thu, Apr 11 2013 8:47 AM

I am with Gini on the Bohins and P3 needles.  They stay nice and sharp longer than the others I have tried.   I also use Bohins for my hand quilting.   They go thru the layers like butter.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 56 of 85 (1268 items) «Prev5455565758Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use