rated by 0 users
This post has 1,354 Replies | 50 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,040
Points 13,220

gini:

maggie, you are going to be busy.

Gini, you know what they say about idle hands and variety is the spice of life. Yep, I'm sure you do!  ;-)

aka Grandma Sunshine

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
Maggie, thank you, thank you, thank you!

MelodyP

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 8:28 AM

I've seen the Christmas Dove before too. Someone embellished it with beads and crystals. It was absolutely stunning.

northern colorado

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,518
Points 48,260
Frances replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 8:48 AM

I have just ordered the Fantasy flowers pattern and while i was there since i was already paying postage to the UK i ordered 2 of the American Album blocks as well, ah well im never going to be bored or have nothing to do.

Yesterday i finished my poppy block but still have to do the embroidery on it, and i also traced pieces for the Mynar bird on my Hawaiian 12 days of Christmas quilt, traced out my next wildflower block, and the first of the Country cottages blocks.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 10:40 AM

Hey All,

i was just sitting here reading all the posts and wondering  why I haven't started the Country Cottages yet.  I think I have everything I need but something is keeping me from even cutting my squares. I guess I am just afraid I will make a mistake cutting the fabric for the appliqué and waste the material. 

Gini, you mentioned in a post that you wash all of your material before using. Does that include some as small as a fat eighth?

i love all of the photo's that have been posted. Kudo's to all of you!!

from TN

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,580
Points 23,980
Susie replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 10:57 AM

I also haven't started mine yet.  Of course, my reason is that I just don't have the spare time right now.  I will get started on them, as soon as I get a couple of other things done that are really pressing (one is a Christmas present that needs to be finished!)

I am a firm believer in NOT pre-washing when I am quilting.  However, I think I will do a couple hand rinses with the applique fabric, just to mae it a bit more pliable.  I like the startch-ness when I am piecing my quilts.  It makes it easier to work with.  But I have found that some of my pieces for applique just don't like to be manhandled in the right direction, no matter how many times I stomp on them.  lol!

I agree, though...I would LOVE to see what the rest have come up with!

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 11:08 AM

I haven't started ANY of mine yet. Some of my projects are over 1-year old and still waiting for me. Thing is, I see something else that I want to do and buy everything I need. So, the older projects get pushed to the bottom of the stack. Well, now I should say "stacks!"

northern colorado

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,040
Points 13,220

MelodyP MO/KS:
Maggie, thank you, thank you, thank you!

Welcome Welcome Welcome. LOL I always try to help fellow quilters spend money!  ROTFL

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,509
Points 417,494
gini replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 1:39 PM

bev, i wash everything.   i don't use many precuts, i wouldn't wash a two inch square,  but yes i would wash an eighth yard. folks get tired of me listing all my reasons why, but especially the fabric i am using for applique.  the fabric has sizing in it when you buy it, washing  makes it more pliable and easier to work in applique. smaller pieces i wash by hand and lay out to dry.  

it is also important in applique, especially if you are using a light background, to test your fabric for colorfastness.  you don't want your fabric bleeding onto the light background after you have spent hours appliquing.   contrary to many others'  experiences you read here, the last bunch of fabric i bought for applique, out of about 10 fabrics, fully  half of them were not colorfast.   it pays to play  safe.   i got these at quilt shop that has good quality  fabric.  now,  i don't want everyone  yelling at me telling me they have never had a problem with colorfastness, i believe you and i am very happy for your experiences with non-bleeding fabrics.   i haven't had that kind of luck, so i test everything.   i will add, that i use very intense colors in my applique.   when you use more subdued colors, there is not nearly the risk of fabric bleeding.  also, if you are using a dark background, you probably don't need to worry about bleeding either, most of the bleeding goes into the background fabric and not on the applques. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,509
Points 417,494
gini replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 1:48 PM

Susie:
  I like the startch-ness when I am piecing my quilts.  It makes it easier to work with.  But I have found that some of my pieces for applique just don't like to be manhandled in the right direction, no matter how many times I stomp on them. 

susie,  some of the lesser quality griege goods come with a  lot of sizing in the fabric to trick you into thinking they are more substantial than they are.   once you wash the sizing out, they become very limp and hard to work with.  they are also harder to applique, because they fray more easily.   where are you getting your fabrics?  

one of the fabrics, we used in an ugly quilt contest here,  had so much sizing in it, i'm surprised the fabric held together after washing   it was a real booger to applique.  it also made a beautiful quilt.   so you can use these fabrics, they are just harder to manage.   if i need a specific color or scale, i will use what ever i can get my hands on. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,509
Points 417,494
gini replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 1:53 PM

the fabric in the upper right corner is the ugly fabric we used, sorry the picture is so grainy, but you can see how pretty the quilt turned out turned out.    hmm, i should get this quilted.   

i really enjoyed doing the ugly contests, it is very challenging and makes you think outside your box. 

and as i look at this i can see i should have put the center block on the left in the upper left instead of the middle left , oh well, quilt and learn. 

see if you can get this link to take you to the last usgly contest.   there are 5 pages and everyone did a great job interpreting the fabric into quilts.

http://www.quiltersclubofamerica.com/groups/ugly_quilt_contest/default.aspx  

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 1:53 PM

I have stopped washing all of my fabric for quilts that I am giving away. I ALWAYS wash my fabric for quilts that I am keeping.  But, Gini does make some really good points for pre-washing, especially for hand applique. I may just have to start washing all of my fabric.

northern colorado

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,509
Points 417,494
gini replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 1:57 PM

because i have always preswashed my fabrics, it is easy for me.  as i buy the fabric i toss it in the wash,  fold it, and shelve it.   it would take months for me to start at the beginning and wash all my fabric.   i don't even want to think about it. 

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,470
Star replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 3:10 PM

Maggie aka Grandma Sunshine:

Hey Star!  How is the arm doing?  Are you out of your cast?  Are you doing appliqué?  I've been working on my next UFO appliqué block but the progress is slow. I have until the end of April since I didn't break anything I'm trying to stay on the schedule we had planned. LOL. I've been working on modifying the first cottage block on paper so I can move on to the actual appliqué part. Now I've downloaded Jingle and ordered Fantasy Flowers. While I was in pattern spot I found several other patterns I liked so I ordered them too.  I fell in love with this Christmas Dove and all the tiny intricate pieces to appliqué. And then there was a Snowflake Delight that peaked my interest. LOL and last I found this reversed paper pieced miniature called Geese Among The Stars. I'm collecting patterns, fabric, gadgets, etc. so my granddaughters don't have to buy anything and can jump right into quilting. I've still got time, they are only three and five. ROTFLMAO

Hi Maggie, I like your additional patterns. I agree with the others, the Christmas Dove is very nice. The snowflakes are confusing me, is that applique? reverse applique?  The Geese Among the Stars is really cool, looks like fun.

Yes out of the cast just over three weeks ago. My doctor removed it early so I could start trying to move it and not have the elbow lock up. Well, it did not work, I'm afraid I did not move it enough, now I am in physical therapy for a month to try and regain range of motion. The ortho said the break should be just about healed now, and to resume normal activities as tolerated. I have placed quilting at the top of those priorities, ok right behind it being easier to dress myself and fix my hair. I have been working on my applique block a bit, I have done just over half the pieces now. Not too sure about the quality of the stitches during this rehab process. I also decided to try rotary cutting. I was able to cut all the pieces for MQ 8. It took two days, with lots of breaks, but it is done. I am going to try to follow along with the group project, Fantasy Flowers, this year also and hope I do not fall behind. This working for a living really interferes with my hobbies. LOL

I like the idea of passing down the quilting to the granddaughters. I have made it very clear to my daughter that all of my quilting "stuff" is worth a lot of money and not to just toss it if something happens to me. If she does not want my collection, I have instructed her to check with LQS's to find a group that would like the stash and tools and could put them to good use. Who knows, she may even take up quilting someday, and I do have brand new twin granddaughters..........

I forgot to ask, what were you doing in Florida? Did you go for bike weeks, spring training, or just to relax for a while by the beach?

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 3:10 PM

Thanks Gini for the info, I just put my fabric for C.C. In to wash.  I really need to make myself get started because I do want to learn the process of needle turn appliqué. I have done the heart which turned out pretty well. 

from TN

Page 48 of 91 (1355 items) «Prev4647484950Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use