rated by 0 users
This post has 1,366 Replies | 50 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 483
Points 9,155
Jan replied on Sun, Feb 24 2013 1:20 PM

Gini,

I am a definite newby with applique.  I LOVE the Baltimore Album styles and it has been on my list for a few years, so I am sure I would at least try.  Halloween grabbed me, but an autumn one sounds great too.

Jan in Rochester

• Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 483
Points 9,155
Jan replied on Sun, Feb 24 2013 1:29 PM

Maggie,

Those are  cute and look more like my learning level.

Jan in Rochester NY

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Sun, Feb 24 2013 3:21 PM

Jan,  if you are a beginner,you might want to do the country cottages first.   It is a great  beginner quilt

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Sun, Feb 24 2013 9:39 PM

Frances

Party in the Garden is really cute. 

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,450
Jacy replied on Sun, Feb 24 2013 10:14 PM

Nana:

Frances

Party in the Garden is really cute. 

I like that one too.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,040
Points 13,220

France's, love Heartland and Party in the Garden. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Mon, Feb 25 2013 6:18 AM

Oh! I love the last one from Wild Sewn Oaks. It is pricey, but very pretty. Thanks for sharing Frances.

northern colorado

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 483
Points 9,155
Jan replied on Mon, Feb 25 2013 9:59 AM

Gini,

I did one of the wildflowers and decided to "practice" a bit more before I take that back up.  I did the cottage for block 1 last night.  And got up early this morning to get things done so I can get back at it.  I had a blast!  And I can sit on the bed and do it while DH winds down.  I think you have me hooked. We will see if I feel the same excitement after the snowman.  The cottage, after all is almost totally straight lines.

Jan in Rochester

• Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 128
Points 1,880
Lynn replied on Mon, Feb 25 2013 12:04 PM

Thea,  I love your blocks,  I am like you I love needle turn but I sometime do not have the time to do it.  I am working on two needle turn applique quilts, just started the cottage one and doing two scrappy pieced quilts.  Anyway I need to get all those done .  But true to form I also and doing a MQ with my quilt group and I am starting a BOM The Contessa through a local quilt shop.   I know I am ramboling but really just occured to me  by telling you this, that I have way to many things going.LOL   Anyway I am looking forward to talking with all of you and sharing projects and doing the blocks of the month projects.  Talk later.  Lynn

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Mon, Feb 25 2013 12:15 PM

Thea - All of your photos are Divine!!! How beautiful they are! I do a bit of the raw edge applique - it's not as neat & tidy as the needle turn but, my hands get too stiff to do much of it so I figure if I ever wanted to actually finish something, then the raw edge method was probably best for me. I'm about 1/3 of the way through the wildflowers and got side-tracked by 2 pieced quilts and Christmas but, I plan to get back to them before long ~sigh~

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Mon, Feb 25 2013 1:22 PM

thea, as usual, your work is lovely.   thank you for posting these and for discussing other methods of applique.  i have a bit of tunnel vision when it comes to applique,  i nearly exclusively do needle turn, just because i love it so much and am able to still do it.   thanks for reminding me there are many  ways to approach applique.    applique  isn't so much about which process we use, but about the joy we get from the process and the beautiful pieces we make.  i am, so,  looking forward to meeting  you at retreat.  i would love it if you could bring a few of your applique pieces so i can enjoy them up close. 

i am taking a short break from wildflowers.  i only have two rows to stitch together, then i need to plan out the borders.  i am not doing the border that came with the patterns.   i think it is a bit busy for the quilt.   i want the wildflowers in the center to stand out. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Mon, Feb 25 2013 1:24 PM

lynn, my dear, if these are all the projects you are woking on, you need to get busy and start a few more, a lot more to catch up to me.  the fun is in the starting, right.  right? 

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 416
Points 7,690
Emily replied on Mon, Feb 25 2013 5:55 PM

Thea, those autumn blocks are absolutely gorgeous!  They will make beautiful quilts!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Mon, Feb 25 2013 7:09 PM

thea, whatever you have room for and would like to bring.   it would be nice to have a small show and tell, if you would like.   i love looking at quilts, finished or not. 

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,470
Star replied on Mon, Feb 25 2013 8:28 PM

Hi ladies,

I am still around and have been lurking.  First business, definate NO on anything Halloween, I'm just not into it. A Fall wall hanging size project would be nice. 

Update on my arm, doctor had splint removed last Thursday, and left my right arm just in a sling. I still have 3-5 weeks to heal, but he said elbows are unforgiving and freeze, so he wants me to move it, but not use it. LOL how does that happen?  It still is not moving much and hurts quite a lot. I am able to type with it some, getting better, and more importantly, decided it was time to get back to work on the applique block I am trying to finish after 16+ years. My hand is still swollen, and my fingers are not very coordinated, but I am sewing for short periods at a time before I have to take a rest break due to pain. I'm having a bit of trouble because my arm won't bend and I have to hold the applique farther away from my face than I am used to and it is hard to see the stitches I am taking. But, I am sewing!  

Gini - I am amazed at how prolific you are at needle turn applique. Your post about house cleaning had me laughing. I used to have one of those signs on the door to my sewing room that said "I am a quilter and my house is in pieces". 

Thea - your fusible applique quilts, finished and in progress, are really nice. I have not tried fusible applique. I think that may be in my future though now that I have two new grand daughter's. I'm sure somewhere down the road I will be making some character quilts, or other items for them. Right now I hope to be getting back to the baby quilts, crib sets, and curtains for the nursery once my arm is healed and working.  

• Post Points: 35
Page 38 of 92 (1367 items) «Prev3637383940Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use