GENERAL DISCUSSION

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,337 Replies | 51 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,467
Points 416,899
gini replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 5:14 PM

the red and green quilt you have selected is pretty,  but maybe a bit too easy.   it also has half the blocks as crossed patterns, i like a bit more variety.   but i will go with what the majority wants. 

we could selectively pick patterns from one of elly's books so that we didn't get any of the really hard ones.  we'll wait and see what everyone wants.  i'm still throwing out ideas.

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,467
Points 416,899
gini replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 5:20 PM

susie, did you enlarge the patterns?   i can also adapt them to make them easier for you.  let me know.

we need to get a few more hours under your belt before you tackle the halloween baltimore.  i've done the first block and it is a hard one, the pieces are very tiny.

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 416
Points 7,690
Emily replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 5:28 PM

That is also a good idea, Gini, selecting easier ones from Elly.  There are easier blocks.  However, I really like your idea of designing one. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,467
Points 416,899
gini replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 5:34 PM

i think  designing blocks would be fun and a great exersize for us.  our first QCA member designed quilt, we could be famous.   :  )

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 416
Points 7,690
Emily replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 6:10 PM

We could even get on the cover of People with Brad Pitt!  How's that for dreamin'.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,954
Points 368,352
Kris replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 6:52 PM

Gini,

I'll continue to work on what I've got. I like the Baltimore Halloween but probably won't make it. I'll cheer the group on as usual.

gini:
i think  designing blocks would be fun and a great exersize for us.  our first QCA member designed quilt, we could be famous.   :  )

Remember when QCA had a designer showcase and "Easy Quilts" magazine had a designer challenge?

• Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,037
Points 13,180

Ok, I've been reading today's conversations and I'll throw my vote out there. I really like the idea of everyone doing a center block and then designing your own quilt around that block. That way people could make it as easy or challenging as they want to match their current skills.  Also it makes it easier to make a decision since each participant can tweak the center to their liking. It could just be a starting point. I'm definitely in for a Baltimore if that is what the group decides. I like the Halloween or the states Baltimore. I understand that some people don't like the Halloween and I'm alright with that.  Since our no flowers vote is going with the cottages we can take that limitation off the table.   I still really like Gini's suggestion from a few days back about a center block and design your own quilt. I'd really like the experience of designing. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,037
Points 13,180

The states quilt I mentioned was posted by Frances about 4 pages back. I fell in love with it. The individual blocks can be purchased at Shabby Fabrics. A neat idea might be for everyone to do their own state as a center and design blocks relating to their state to make a quilt. That way you definitely get some unique quilts. 

http://www.shabbyfabrics.com/Patterns-Books-C36.aspx?s=Name%20ASC&p=0

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,480
Jacy replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 10:24 PM

gini:
who would be interested in an autumn baltimore? 

Here's an autumn baltimore by p3designs, but like the halloween one the pattern is pricy, $78.

gini:
so what i'm hearing is more people would like to do a baltimore or baltimore style quilt.  is that right?

I'm not really interested in a baltimore quilt other than the halloween or fall one, and they may both be way above my ability. I already have the country cousins baltimore quilt with only 4 blocks made.

I still prefer the garden party or whimsical garden, but if you choose something I don't care for, I have plenty of other projects I can work on!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,802
Points 67,545
Bonita replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 10:37 PM

Maggie, I went and checked out the FL block and it's so pretty with the orange blossoms. Right in the middle is an alligator. Very cute. I think I'll stick with the houses for now.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,467
Points 416,899
gini replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 10:38 PM

Kris:
Remember when QCA had a designer showcase and "Easy Quilts" magazine had a designer challenge?

i had forgotten that. 

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 416
Points 7,690
Emily replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 10:40 PM

Jacy, I like your autumn Baltimore but I'm afraid it would take a long time to do. However, if everyone decides on this one, count me in.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 416
Points 7,690
Emily replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 10:42 PM

I just noticed the price.  Unfortunately, I can't afford that much.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,467
Points 416,899
gini replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 10:48 PM

here's a picture of the quilt done in fall colors and two of the blocks i made to go with it.  they aren't patterns from the picture, i don't know where i got the patterns.  this just shows another colorway for a baltimore style quilt

looking at these, it would be nice to finish an autumn quilt.   i cut enough backgrounds to make 6 blocks, and have no idea  if i have any of it left.   looks like i will be hunting up some fabrics to sorta match it. 

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 416
Points 7,690
Emily replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 10:58 PM

Beautiful work on those two squares, Gini.  I like the colors too.

Page 36 of 90 (1338 items) «Prev3435363738Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use