GENERAL DISCUSSION

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,354 Replies | 50 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,499
Points 417,339
gini replied on Tue, Feb 5 2013 12:17 AM

maggie, i don't know which pattern will be chosen.   i throw a few out there and then listen to which way the majority is leaning.   

what does everyone think?   do you want an easier pattern?  country cottages is a good choice.   several of us have garden party from the buggy barn.  it is fairly easy, too.   i'm not opposed to a harder pattern, but the last one was a challenge for beginners.   We could have two going at once, an easier one and a harder one, if someone would like to lead the easier quilt.   

i like the pattern above.    i have almost gotten it several times,  but so far i've held strong. 

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,040
Points 13,220

Gini, I like the idea of an easier one and a challenging one if someone volunteers to lead the easier one.  But since I'm new to the group I'll go with the flow.  Of course I would like something challenging but easy is good too.  LOL  when do we start a new pattern?

aka Grandma Sunshine

• Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 924
Points 17,125

gini:

maggie, i don't know which pattern will be chosen.   i throw a few out there and then listen to which way the majority is leaning.   

what does everyone think?   do you want an easier pattern?  country cottages is a good choice.   several of us have garden party from the buggy barn.  it is fairly easy, too.   i'm not opposed to a harder pattern, but the last one was a challenge for beginners.   We could have two going at once, an easier one and a harder one, if someone would like to lead the easier quilt.   

i like the pattern above.    i have almost gotten it several times,  but so far i've held strong. 

Gini, I think it is a great idea to have a pattern for beginners & another for the more experienced appliquer.  A simple pattern is less daunting for a beginner, but not always one a more experienced qppliquer might want to do.  Your idea would be an option the group would be able to satisfy both experience levels.  I love both Country Cottages & Garden Party.   

I'm still a beginner & not sure what all "leading" entails but, I would be happy to volunteer to lead the easier quilt.  What are the responsibilities?  

• Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 46
Points 675

Good morning to all.  I'm new to the group and new to hand applique as well.  I live in British Columbia and I have been quilting for about 5 years making mostly lap quilts.  I had the opportunity to learn needle turn applique this winter and so far, I have completed one small picture.  I'm not sure that it will become a passion for me but learning a new skill is good for my older brain.  My husband tells me that he feels lonely when I spend too much time quilting in my sewing room so I thought that hand applique would let me work on a quilt in the evenings when I can sit next to him while he's watching TV-lol.  

I like a challenge, but think the idea of two projects that would allow us newbies to improve our skills and the experienced hand quilters to be challenged is a great idea.  I know that I am not ready to tackle the Audubon quilt yet.  I would like to join in the next group project if possible but am not ready to lead a group yet.  

So sorry to hear of your fall with resulting fractures.  Hope all is mended soon.  

Leslie on Vancouver Island

• Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,580
Points 23,980
Susie replied on Tue, Feb 5 2013 11:30 AM

i also like the idea of  two. but can i request a non floral choice?

Chicagoland, Illinois

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,499
Points 417,339
gini replied on Tue, Feb 5 2013 12:12 PM

patricia,   all you need to try and do is have your blocks done a month ahead of the group and talk about any issues you had with that month's block,  what was hard, or an easier way to construct it.  

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
I like the idea of two quilts at one time and would definitely do the one that is easier, since the heart is all I have done. I did try the flower one but became too frustrated. This is something I really want to learn to do so will be anxious to see what transpires. I love the Audubon one and wished I knew more about applique to justify buying it, not right now. I did down load some cottage blocks but do not know if they are the ones you are talking about.

MelodyP

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,499
Points 417,339
gini replied on Tue, Feb 5 2013 12:24 PM

leslie, you have the wrong gini :  )   i haven't fell and broken anything yet this year, but there is still most of the ski season ahead and 11 more months of klutzitis in the year.   i'm usually good as long as i don't mix ladders and champaigne, that combo only happens during the tree decoration season, and if i remember to buckle my ski boots.  two years ago, my feet were hurting during ski season, so i was skiing with the buckles undone,  i flipped around, fell forward over my skis,  my boot didn't release, one of my feet  tried to come out of my boot but didn't ,  the other boot was on the ski down the hill.   i tore a calf muscle.  i was in bed for about 2 months with DVT.  i finally found a pair of boots that don't hurt and will stay buckled.  i still haven't gotten over the embarrasssment of chasing my ski down the hill with a stocking foot.   on the other hand , i'm a doggone good skiier, not many folks can ski 45 mph with their boots unbuckled,   poo on the  snow snake that reached up and grabbed my ski. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,499
Points 417,339
gini replied on Tue, Feb 5 2013 12:27 PM

susie, it is your job to go out and find a pattern with out flowers on it.    the cottages blocks have a few flowers, i think you could change out  what goes beside the houses if you are adventuresome. as i recall it is a twelve month pattern so one house has a snowman beside it, the nexg a heart, etc.  i think you could make it work without flowers. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,499
Points 417,339
gini replied on Tue, Feb 5 2013 12:29 PM

susie, garden party has a few flowers but they aren't the focus.  this would  be a pretty good beginner quilt.   you could start out with the bigger pieces with rounded curves and work up to the harder pieces, and those aren't that hard. you could do a pea vine up the pole and put apples on the tree

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,499
Points 417,339
gini replied on Tue, Feb 5 2013 12:30 PM

the cottages are the ones from shabby fabrics. 

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
gini, yes these are the ones I downloaded.

MelodyP

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 924
Points 17,125

gini:

patricia,   all you need to try and do is have your blocks done a month ahead of the group and talk about any issues you had with that month's block,  what was hard, or an easier way to construct it.  

OK I can do that.  So if the group decides to have both a "beginner" & "intermediate/advance" project, I will be happy to "lead."  

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,480
Jacy replied on Tue, Feb 5 2013 2:13 PM

I'd like to do Buggy barn's Garden Party, the cottages or piece o'cakes Whimsical Garden.

I have the patterns for those 3, but I'm a succor for any cute pattern if someone else has something they'd like to do.

Fatcatpatterns.com has a new owl BOM starting this month and I like the looks of Erin Russek's Christmas one she's starting too.

• Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 924
Points 17,125

Jacy:

I'd like to do Buggy barn's Garden Party, the cottages or piece o'cakes Whimsical Garden.

I have the patterns for those 3, but I'm a succor for any cute pattern if someone else has something they'd like to do.

Fatcatpatterns.com has a new owl BOM starting this month and I like the looks of Erin Russek's Christmas one she's starting too.

Jacy, I have the Buggy Barn Garden Party & printed all the Cottages.  I'll have to check out Whimsical Garden though.  I'm not one for Owls, but will go with whichever the group decides on.

Page 28 of 91 (1355 items) «Prev2627282930Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use