GENERAL DISCUSSION

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,308 Replies | 48 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
Kris, thank you. I guess I already knew the answer because on the Wild Flower pattern I want them to be realistic, and both batiks and solids work depending on the flower. Thanks!

MelodyP

• Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 697
Points 11,420
Bev replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 4:08 PM

My first Heart

I have wanted to learn how to do needle turn appliqué for awhile now so I went back and read all of the pages here or at least skimmed through them.  I finally got around to making my first heart. I can see I need more practice but wanted to post a picture  I would like to honestly know what mistakes you can see from the picture and what I need to do to fix them.  I know they are there, just need to know if there is something I don't see. Thanks Guys. 

Oh, my Son could not believe I actually sewed my finger to the material without feeling a thing. I just thought it was funny!

from TN

• Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 697
Points 11,420
Bev replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 5:37 PM

Just have to say that even though I have the Wildflower pattern and have downloaded the Country Cottages that I should not feel the need to buy anything else but after seeing the post by Judy T I had to order a book by Kay Mackenzie.  I also ordered My Whimsical Quilt Garden by Becky Goldsmith & Linda Jenkins. These are both great and can't wait to actually get started, just need to wait until I can get some background material.  Right now it is practice, practice, practice!

from TN

• Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,027
Points 13,055

Bev,

very nice job!

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,027
Points 13,055

Kris:

Maggie,

I used this technique for tiny pieces in another block of the same project.  

I'll await your response on how this works (or not) for you.

Kris,

I'm probably doing something wrong on the cut as you go method but a very light weight fusible interfacing did the trick. Works beautifully. Very light interfacing is the key for me. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,027
Points 13,055

gini:

cut the stems on the bias to reduce fraying and make sure you are using a good quality  fabric that is not loosely woven. 

Gini, the bias really helped. Thanks. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,358
Points 414,944
gini replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 11:33 PM

MelodyP MO/KS:
In selecting fabrics, what would I concentrate on, solids, batiks, small prints?

pick out fabric you love.   smaller prints for smaller pieces.   you can get interesting cuts out of large scale prints.  i buy tons of fabric in 1/8th and 1/4 yd. pieces, because i like huge variety in the colors.  if i am making a flower with 7 petals, i will use 7 different yellow fabrics to make the flower.   monotone  batiks make a great choice because there so many ways you can cut the fabric   but mostly, go with what you love.   i did a talk on this. i'll see if i can find it for you.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,358
Points 414,944
gini replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 11:37 PM

jacy, i love your fish and your background is wonderful 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,358
Points 414,944
gini replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 11:41 PM

bev, your first heart is pretty dog-gone nice.   i see a couple of spots where the curves aren't perfectly smooth, that will come with practice.   if i have a curve that isn't laying down as smoothly as i want, i pop the fabric out and retuck, put the needle under and smooth back and forth.  i might pop it out and retuck it several times before i am happy, or until the fabric gives up in defeat.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,358
Points 414,944
gini replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 11:43 PM

you're welcome, maggie

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,470
Star replied on Wed, Jan 23 2013 3:03 PM

Hi Ladies,

I have not posted for a couple of weeks, I have not been feeling very well and been very busy too.

I wanted to check in because I will be off the boards again for a couple of weeks. I am heading to Boston to visit my pregnant daughter and meet the new inlaws. I am driving because I am also transporting a dog.

I have been working on my applique block, I am taking it with me and will see how much I actually work on it while gone. My daughter has a pretty busy agenda planned.

I noticed from reading the discussion about colors and fabrics in this group that my colors may be a little flat! Oh well, 17 years ago when I chose them and cut out all the pattern pieces, solid hand-dyes were all the rage, with the multicolor or tone on tone hand dyes just starting to appear. I thought about redoing the block with different fabrics and decided to let it go so it will match the other two blocks that I do have done. I will worry about fabrics on my next applique project :-)

Bye the way, this site seems very slow today, maybe it's just my laptop or connection.

Have a great couple of weeks.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,472
Points 362,082
Kris replied on Wed, Jan 23 2013 3:46 PM

Bev :
My first Heart

Looks pretty good Bev. Nice work.

Bev :
I also ordered My Whimsical Quilt Garden by Becky Goldsmith & Linda Jenkins.

I have this one too. I've had all the fabrics picked out for almost two years now. Some it if is traced already but I just have started sewing. 

I want to start "Vintage Valentine" and/or "Garden Party" (I have a kit) next month.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,472
Points 362,082
Kris replied on Wed, Jan 23 2013 3:47 PM

Maggie aka Grandma Sunshine:

Kris,

I'm probably doing something wrong on the cut as you go method but a very light weight fusible interfacing did the trick. Works beautifully. Very light interfacing is the key for me.

Hi Maggie,

thanks for the update. Every method doesn't work for everyone. I'm glad you found something that works for you.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,027
Points 13,055

Star, have a great time in Boston with your daughter. And you haven't seen my UFO hand appliqué project yet. A few more years and everything comes back in fashion, just like clothes and cars. LOL

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
gini, thanks

MelodyP

Page 25 of 88 (1309 items) «Prev2324252627Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use