GENERAL DISCUSSION

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,317 Replies | 50 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,034
Points 13,150

Beautiful blocks. I'd love to see the entire quilt. I have some blocks I started on but never finished. Maybe we could do a block each month and share on here at the end of each month. Up to the challenge Star?  I know I need some motivation too. First thing is to find the UFO. LOL

aka Grandma Sunshine

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,470
Star replied on Thu, Dec 27 2012 9:11 PM

Maggie, thank you. These are all the blocks I had planned, but..... It always helps to have some support and encouragement. I find that challenges put me on a schedule, and I am a very task oriented person. I usually just need a deadline, like the next quilt class. There are a total of twelve blocks, lots of leaves and vines for borders.....and I even found the background fabric last night, so I could make more. Have you found your UFO yet? I will have to add these applique blocks to the UFO challenge too, even though they would not count.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,228
Points 112,250
Linny t replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 2:38 PM

Star, these are very pretty.  Looks like a great pattern/book.  Ambitious for a BOM, maybe, but worth doing.  I bet it makes a beautiful quilt. I've put the book on my wishlist.  

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
I think I'm ready to do my first needle turn project. I have the fabric, needles and thread. The heart pattern I cut and will sew it to a 6" block. I'm hoping to begin today. Here at Mom's there isn't a lot of room so we will see.

MelodyP

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,079
gini replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 9:55 AM

you'l  do just fine, melody

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
Thank you gini, I really like doing this heart. I have changed to a longer needle and first chance I get I will buy straw needles. I could not help but order the flower pattern and a pattern from, Fat Cat Patterns(?) Anyway someone mentioned it and posted it and I ordered it.

MelodyP

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,034
Points 13,150

Star, I haven't found time to look for my UFO. I joined the RR3 group and my center block has to be in the mail by 1/15. Of course I couldn't decide what to do so I designed a center medallion using things from Carol Armstrong's books for hand appliqué. I will get as much done as I can by the deadline and finish it when it comes back after 4 passes. Once this is out the door I can find my UFO. Do you want to do a block a month or every two months?  I will be working on the RR3 but I will need something to carry with me to work. Let me know what you think. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,470
Star replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 6:52 AM

Maggie aka Grandma Sunshine:

Star, I haven't found time to look for my UFO. I joined the RR3 group and my center block has to be in the mail by 1/15. Of course I couldn't decide what to do so I designed a center medallion using things from Carol Armstrong's books for hand appliqué. I will get as much done as I can by the deadline and finish it when it comes back after 4 passes. Once this is out the door I can find my UFO. Do you want to do a block a month or every two months?  I will be working on the RR3 but I will need something to carry with me to work. Let me know what you think. 

Hi Maggie, I could try for one block every two months and see where I go. For me part of the challenge will be assembling the blocks with sashings and borders into a presentable wall hanging. All that is appliqued too, so I may stick with my original three blocks and then work on the applique sashings and borders. At any rate setting a schedule and making some progress is the goal. I have been working on the third unfinished block. It has 149 pieces, and I just finished piece 27. These teenie, tiny pieces seem to take longer than the big ones. Not really, but all that fighting with tiny seam allowences, curves, and points sure make it seem so. I would like to have this one done by the end of February. Then I will reassess and see if I want to add another block or two and make a bigger wall hanging. Trying to work on the crib size baby quilt UFO's plus make two new ones, and my daughter wants me to make the nursery sets for the twins. Trying to get all the baby stuff done by April. She does not want to take up quilting at this time, but at 23 weeks she is definately nesting. She is taking cake decorating classes and re-learning how to knit.

Have fun with the round robbin. I am going to resist joining a BOM this year. I am going to resist joining a BOM this year. I will just keep chanting that over and over and think of these applique blocks as an ambitious BOM.

Lets have fun!  Happy quilting everyone.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,034
Points 13,150

Star, It just registered that you said 149 pieces. I number each section and put my templates and cut out fabric for each section in a sheet protector. Then I label each sheet with what is in it. I put the protectors in a binder with the pattern or design I've come up with. If I counted each piece as a total I'm afraid I'd be overwhelmed and never finish a project. WAIT!  I rarely finish a project  HAHAHA I guess that's why working with you on our appliqué blocks will help me. End of February it is!

aka Grandma Sunshine

• Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,313
Points 18,420

Hello again.  The art of needle turn still eludes me, but i can applique if i use fusible web. Maybe someday I will figure it out!  Since joining the round robin I have been trying to practice different things so I have options and variety to use on the different borders.

Piece, Love, Quilt

• Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 11:43 PM

Melody,   I am wanting to learn needle turn appliqué but had been waiting until after the holidays were over. I also bought the wildflower pattern the group has been working on for later and was going to start with a heart block. There is also a pattern for Fat Cat that I have my eye on for later. 

Maybe I will get to start by next week after I am sure I have all of the supplies I need. It sounds like you are enjoying it.

from TN

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
Bev, I really did find it relaxing and was looking forward to doing the Wildflower blocks. My DH was to send me the pattern but forgot and did not send it. Bummer! I want to look at the blocks and then buy fabric to take advantage of the type of flower, shadows, highlighting etc. I think it will be fun!

MelodyP

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,470
Star replied on Mon, Jan 14 2013 9:24 AM

Melody, good luck on the wildflower blocks. I've been lurking, and they look beautiful. Be careful, needleturn applique is addictive. I also like that I can take it anywhere and am not tied to my sewing machine, or sewing room.

I'm going to work on my own applique UFO for a while this year. I want to see what the group comes up with this year and maybe join in on the new project.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 416
Points 7,690
Emily replied on Mon, Jan 14 2013 10:01 AM

Thank you, Star.  However, I will be doing another Shooting Star because I do not like this one at all.  Looks like it was pasted together.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,034
Points 13,150

I need some suggestions regarding fraying fabric. I am doing tiny pieces (27 pieces to equal a bird 2" X 2") and the fabrics are fraying terribly when I appliqué (by hand). I've tried starching and fusible web but the edges still fray. I've thought I might try iron on stabilizer. Any suggestions or ideas?

aka Grandma Sunshine

Page 23 of 88 (1318 items) «Prev2122232425Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use