rated by 0 users
This post has 1,333 Replies | 51 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 7:17 AM

Frances:

Hi Bev,

Im not sure if stores do it in the states but i found a place over here that does taster packs of threads, the store sends out 5 reels they choose the colours but i get the thread at discount, ive done this several times, it works great and now i have threads to blend in with most fabrics.

lots of love

Francesxx

Frances,

Can you post the url of the store you are referring to? We can take a look at what you are talking about and see if anyone here in the states offers something similar.

northern colorado

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 7:20 AM

Nana:

Gini

How do you loose the knot behind the needle?   I always have to cut my thread to get it out of the needle.  Geesh you have amazing talents and I keep discovering new ones everyday.

Oh I saw a video on this a few months ago. I didn't know you could do anything like it.  lol  I'll see if I can find it again. It was so simple, I was probably over thinking the process.  lol

northern colorado

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 7:21 AM

Jacy:

Bev, you can check out these threads, they sell sets of 36 bobbins of 50wt thread and also a set of 5 spools of silk in neutral colors.

http://www.ConnectingThreads.com/threads/Specialty_Thread__L600904.html

Oh that's perfect! Thanks Jacy.

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 7:26 AM

gini:

Nana:

How do you loose the knot behind the needle?   I always have to cut my thread to get it out of the needle.  Geesh you have amazing talents and I keep discovering new ones everyday.

i wave my magic wand and do the, loosen the knot incantation, and ta da. 

maybe that's part of my problem,  my knot slips off.  then i'm waving the needle in the air,  trying to catch the end of my thread with my mouth to tighten the knot,  because my other hand is holding a crucial spot of the applique, i poke myself in the eye with the needle during the gyrations trying to get the end of the thread to my mouth, then i drop the applique piece, the air turns blue and i have to start the whole process over.   it's no wonder sam sits across the room laughing at me in the evenings.

OMGosh. That whole story actually made my laugh out loud!!!

northern colorado

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 7:56 AM

Jacy:

Bev, you can check out these threads, they sell sets of 36 bobbins of 50wt thread and also a set of 5 spools of silk in neutral colors.

http://www.ConnectingThreads.com/threads/Specialty_Thread__L600904.html[

Jacy, I clicked on this website address and was curious how you know that the bobbins are 50 wt because I did not see that in the description?  Is this what you use  or should I just buy one of the set of silk spools?

Never mind the first part  about the 50 wt thread I finally saw it. Got to love these touch screens.....

from TN

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,508
Points 48,175
Frances replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 8:26 AM

Lillie,

I use a website called Barnyarns the website is Barnyarns.co.uk they go to a lot of the shows here, but theres too much of a queue at the shows so i just shop online with them, Lillie bear in mind in England we dont have as many choices as what you do in the states im pretty sure we pay more for fabric and threads than you do in the states, however it has not stopped me shopping and having enough fabric for the next 10 quilts, not sure how im going to get all my shopping home when i come to the states and go to the Branson retreat.

lots of love

Francesxx

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 10:09 AM

Frances:

I use a website called Barnyarns the website is Barnyarns.co.uk

not sure how im going to get all my shopping home when i come to the states and go to the Branson retreat.

lots of love

Francesxx

Thank you for the link Frances.

Bring an empty suitcase with you for all your shopping treasures.  lol

northern colorado

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 466
Points 8,840
Jan replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 10:26 AM

Gini,

Mikey's fault. LOL. But I am sure you are not talking about the deadbeat father of my oldest granddaughter. Although he is not paying child support, not keeping medical insurance, not paying his half of her schooling or clothing. Come to think of it....it could be Mikey's fault.  But the thought of the commercials makes me laugh hard.

Jan in Rochester NY

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 416
Points 7,690
Emily replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 10:46 AM

Jan, that is so funny.  My daughter is separated from a Michael (Mikey) and he is a deadbeat father who doesn't pay for  my granddaughter's schooling (his parents do), doesn't have medical insurance because he hasn't worked in years, doesn't buy clothing, etc.  They are separated because if they get a divorce my daughter has to pay him child support!  So it is Mikeyi's fault!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 12:01 PM

Frances:

Lillie,

I use a website called Barnyarns the website is Barnyarns.co.uk they go to a lot of the shows here, but theres too much of a queue at the shows so i just shop online with them, Lillie bear in mind in England we dont have as many choices as what you do in the states im pretty sure we pay more for fabric and threads than you do in the states, however it has not stopped me shopping and having enough fabric for the next 10 quilts, not sure how im going to get all my shopping home when i come to the states and go to the Branson retreat.

lots of love

Francesxx

Frances - don't worry! We have UPS & Fedex here that both ship across the pond. You can buy boxes from them, too!! LOL!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,508
Points 48,175
Frances replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 12:55 PM

Shelia,

I hope no one wants to ship anything by fed ex or ups, as they are going to be full that week.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 2:24 PM

OMG Gini

You have given me the best laugh of the day.   Maybe you shouldn't be doing incantations while sewing.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,948
Points 368,247
Kris replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 8:09 PM

gini:

kris, what did i do different?  the last time i deleted a thread, the entire thing disappeared.  this time it left the thread, but when you click on it it says it isn't there.   how can i make that disappear? 

Gini,

I missed this question. When you delete a thread you need to delete the first post then you'll be asked if you want to kill the children too (not the exact words LOL). Say yes and the thread goes bye bye. If you delete a post within the thread the thread will remain.

Does that cover it?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,948
Points 368,247
Kris replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 8:10 PM

Bev :

To All

I bought a book on appliqué blocks that suggest to buy bias bars to make vines and stems. Is this what you guys use in your appliqué or are there other options?

I tried bias bars and the bias tape makers but haven't had luck with any of them so I just trace the stems onto my fabric and cut it out as I sew.

I use 60 wt cotton thread for my appliqué.

• Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 8:18 PM

Kris:

I tried bias bars and the bias tape makers but haven't had luck with any of them so I just trace the stems onto my fabric and cut it out as I sew.

I use 60 wt cotton thread for my appliqué.

Thanks Kris

from TN

Page 17 of 89 (1334 items) «Prev1516171819Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use