rated by 0 users
This post has 1,354 Replies | 50 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,509
Points 417,494
gini replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 8:45 PM

Bev :
Thank you for answering all my questions silly though they may seem.

none of your questions seem silly to me.  you've made me think a bit, and that  hurts my head.  :  )   i am not the person to ask about tech questions.   there may be a better way.  i wouldn't know how to save a file to my computer, so   if i remember, i save it to favorites;  and if i don't,  i ask kris for help.  it is a wonder she still talks to me.

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 9:12 PM

Bev

I personally like the 100 wt. silk thread for applique but it takes some getting used to and can be very expensive.  Luckily a spool lasts a very long time.  My biggest tip is to just enjoy the process.  I will say that having a really good needle makes a huge difference.  I really hated doing hand applique until Gini pointed me in the direction of good needles.  Now I do lots of applique and really enjoy it.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 9:50 PM

Thanks Gini and Nana for the info. 

from TN

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,518
Points 48,260
Frances replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 9:59 PM

Hi Bev,

Im not sure if stores do it in the states but i found a place over here that does taster packs of threads, the store sends out 5 reels they choose the colours but i get the thread at discount, ive done this several times, it works great and now i have threads to blend in with most fabrics.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,979
Points 368,857
Kris replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 10:06 PM

gini:
 and if i don't,  i ask kris for help.  it is a wonder she still talks to me.

LOL. It would take a lot more than that to get rid of me Gini.

I save to my favourites too. Now I know where to find them again. Once upon a time it was a mystery.

• Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 10:13 PM

Hey Frances,

By reels, is that something similar to the size of a bobbin? If so what a great idea!   I don't know if they do it like that anywhere here but maybe someone else may know and post it here like Gini,Nana or Kris. I haven't really looked for thread yet but have bought a lot of fabric getting ready for when I start the appliqué project. I did not even know that thread came in different weights until I started reading the threads here. There is so much I am learning here!!

Thanks for info

from TN

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 10:17 PM

So Gini,if  thinking gives you a headache you are not alone, because it gives me headaches too especially if I try to figure out what someone else is thinking    heehee

from TN

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,518
Points 48,260
Frances replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 10:29 PM

Sorry Bev,

This may be an english thing that i am unaware of we call a thing of thread a reel, not sure what you call it there maybe a spool. Dont worry until Gini said i never realised thread came in different weights either or that there was silk sewing thread i have to say im like Nana i prefer sewing with silk thread as im not the prettiest sticher in the world and it hides my stitches well, so now you know its all Ginis fault that i brought lots of new thread. (its only fair Gini was poking fun at me yesterday time to get my own back today).

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,509
Points 417,494
gini replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 10:45 PM

you can share thread if you have a friend that quilts.  you will get about 4-5 bobbins off a small spool.    you could buy the colors you need and split the cost by winding bobbins

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,509
Points 417,494
gini replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 10:55 PM

silk thread nestles into the fabric beautifully and takes on the color it is next  to, so you don't need as many colors.  if the hue is close or the color is the same family, chances are it will work fine.   so, even though slik thread is a lot more expensive, you don't need nearly as many colors.   it is a trick to work with and drives me nuts.  you have to knot the thread behind the needle.   my knot keeps slipping off, so i use cotton.    every little piece of dried skin will catch on the silk thread, too.   so when i use it i need to use my hand scrub.  

you make a paste out of olive oil and sugar, rub it into your hands for a minute or so and wash off.   leaves your hands really smooth.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 11:22 PM

Gini

How do you loose the knot behind the needle?   I always have to cut my thread to get it out of the needle.  Geesh you have amazing talents and I keep discovering new ones everyday.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,480
Jacy replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 11:44 PM

Bev, you can check out these threads, they sell sets of 36 bobbins of 50wt thread and also a set of 5 spools of silk in neutral colors.

http://www.ConnectingThreads.com/threads/Specialty_Thread__L600904.html

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,509
Points 417,494
gini replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 1:19 AM

Nana:

How do you loose the knot behind the needle?   I always have to cut my thread to get it out of the needle.  Geesh you have amazing talents and I keep discovering new ones everyday.

i wave my magic wand and do the, loosen the knot incantation, and ta da. 

maybe that's part of my problem,  my knot slips off.  then i'm waving the needle in the air,  trying to catch the end of my thread with my mouth to tighten the knot,  because my other hand is holding a crucial spot of the applique, i poke myself in the eye with the needle during the gyrations trying to get the end of the thread to my mouth, then i drop the applique piece, the air turns blue and i have to start the whole process over.   it's no wonder sam sits across the room laughing at me in the evenings.

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,518
Points 48,260
Frances replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 3:03 AM

Gini Honey,

I think you are all the entertainment that Sam needs.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 7:15 AM

Nana:

Bev

I personally like the 100 wt. silk thread for applique but it takes some getting used to and can be very expensive.  Luckily a spool lasts a very long time.  My biggest tip is to just enjoy the process.  I will say that having a really good needle makes a huge difference.  I really hated doing hand applique until Gini pointed me in the direction of good needles.  Now I do lots of applique and really enjoy it.

I agree with Nana. Silk is so wonderful for applique. In general, I use just two or three neutral color silks when doing applique, as they tend to disappear into the fabric. I personally love the straw needles. They are a bit longer, more bendable, and much easier on my hands, as I have arthritis.

northern colorado

Page 16 of 91 (1355 items) «Prev1415161718Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use